Grado GR8 First Impressions
Mar 25, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #61 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*sigh* As if IEMs didn't already have enough problems with their small sound-stages, now Grado has gone and added their house sound!

Ohh boy... oh well, I am sure people will buy them, enjoy them, and think they are the end all and be all of IEMS because they are grado
wink.gif
. Thats probably where most of their money will lie too -die hard fans.

At least people are enjoying them, right?

While they do sound good, there not $300 good. I emailed and asked about replacement tips. $25. That's crazy to me. I actually doubt they had anything to do with the gr8s other then slapping their name on them.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #62 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While they do sound good, there not $300 good. I emailed and asked about replacement tips. $25. That's crazy to me. I actually doubt they had anything to do with the gr8s other then slapping their name on them.

Attacking the price point will only deter people from trying an IEM they may just love. And to them, the price will be well worth it.

I've tried more expensive IEMs that I thought weren't worth as much as the GR8, but I'm not going to bash the price point of them in their respective threads because sound is a personal thing. What's not worth $400 to me is worth $400 to others so who am I to say what they are really worth.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #64 of 100
Whoa!!!! Let's settle it down a bit. I don't need an amp for headphones. I said I liked them just don't believe they are worth that much money. I am entitled to an opinion right? I can care less if they claim to have worked two years on a product. I'm the best looking guy on this forum. Do you believe me? I said it so it must be true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean they're not worth $300? 1) You haven't tried amping them...and...2) You just got them...and...3) You don't even like IEMs, remember? That's what you told me.

You made an impulse buy. Get over it and just send them back already like you keep saying you're going to do.

Attacking the price point will only deter people from trying an IEM they may just love. And to them, the price will be well worth it.

I've tried more expensive IEMs that I thought weren't worth as much as the GR8, but I'm not going to bash the price point of them in their respective threads because sound is a personal thing. What's not worth $400 to me is worth $400 to others so who am I to say what they are really worth.

And by the way, Grado engineered them. According to John Grado it took two years of hard work to get the exact sound they were looking for. So please, a little respect.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #65 of 100
Quote:

Whoa!!!! Let's settle it down a bit. I don't need an amp for headphones. I said I liked them just don't believe they are worth that much money. I am entitled to an opinion right? I can care less if they claim to have worked two years on a product. I'm the best looking guy on this forum. Do you believe me? I said it so it must be true.

Hey man, if you look anything like your avatar, you got me sold!
biggrin.gif

For the other OPs, the man is entitled his opinion, IMHO even though I've owned all the Grado's except for the HF1,HF2, PS, HP, and GS, I've often felt the price for most Grado's tend to be a little high based on materials and construction. But then again, it wouldn't be a Grado if was otherwise, right?

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #66 of 100
Sorry if I was harsh, I usually don't get like that. Attacking price point is a pet peeve because it's a deterrent to those who might like them. One could argue that most of the headphones, IEMs, amps, dacs, etc. talked about on this forum are overpriced. But to those who like them the cost is worth it. I made a similar comment about someone's $10,000 rig after a meet, but then thought that it wasn't really a fair comment because he was happy with it. That's all that really matters.

I have no reason to doubt that Grado worked on their own product though.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #71 of 100
Would be interested in these but since I already own the 225i I see no reason to have a matching iem.but I'm sure there good.I love my grado cans

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #72 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnievidi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Rock and Classical, they are the best for my ears.....

Thank you for the great review.
May I ask, do you think your preference for GR8 over IE8 would change for jazz and vocals ?

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #73 of 100
Quote:

I have packed them up and unpacked them 4 times now. I keep coming back to them as I really like the sound of them. I have let them roll with a burn in track for a few days and they only have gotten better. Ive been told by thebasso and dongringo that I need an amp. I actually like them the way they are out of my ipod and my computer at work. I bet with an amp they might sound better. I really do like these and wish more people would get a chance to hear them.

Don't sell them or send them back. You will regret it! I sold mine and totally regret it and miss them bigtime. Probably end up buying it again.

That review on page 4 from Vinnievidi is very very accurate. Totally agree!

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #74 of 100
They were nice, but I did send them back. I was really just looking for something to work in the yard with. I know the iems would have been better, for the price the igrados do the job for me. I would buy them again, but they would have to be alot cheaper. If I see them in the $175-200 range, ill snatch them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't sell them or send them back. You will regret it! I sold mine and totally regret it and miss them bigtime. Probably end up buying it again.

That review on page 4 from Vinnievidi is very very accurate. Totally agree!

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #75 of 100
I found another review here from "Jazzloft" website. While he doesn't compare to other IEM's it is a nice write-up!

For my tastes, $300 for the GR8 is easily worth it. I have no regrets, & feel blessed to have these earbuds. If I ever break or lose my GR8s, I will buy another set of them (can't live without this superior sound quality). For anyone who could appreciate the sonics & be careful to keep them nice, I would recommend the GR8 as a bargain @ $300. For earbuds, the GR8 gets closer to the GS-1000i capabilities than anything else I’ve auditioned (even IEMs costing over 4X more than the GR8 costs). The longer you listen through Grado ear-fi products, the more you appreciate them. The sonic discoveries you make seem to be 'time-released'. So your initial impression of them will be your 'worst-case' scenario. Your listening experiences just get better & better, as you learn what to listen for. The ‘Grado’ signature sound is natural, incandescent, & unstressed. There is nothing harsh or disjointed about the sound. Music rendered through the GR8 sounds complex & honest. There is a sense of ease that is just intoxicating. You hear warmth that does not come at the expense of clarity. It’s musically authentic warmth, which is really there in the musical signal as plausibly proportioned overtone information. Its content is phase-coherent & transparent (ie, not smeared coloration from the drivers). The 2 best indicators of the sonic warmth’s authenticity are a.) the speed, & b.) the spatial cuing. Musical transients are very easily rendered with life-like realism—The attacks are lightening fast & unstrained, with no discernable compression or overshoot…The decays are undamped & fully unprocessed sounding. The source itemization is impressively holographic for earbuds. GR8 gets right not only the sound-staging of the instruments in terms of placement and timing, but also the proper/convincing relationship of direct & ambient sound content present during the recording. Listening experiences are phenomenally immersive & dimensional. The GR8 dynamic range is unassailable—It remains fully-developed all the way down to the tiniest listening volumes, meaning that the music’s liveliness remains intact for safe listening levels. You can enjoy the un-fatiguing GR8 long-term, without compromise. Truly AMAZING products, which are difficult to over-state. I guess it's like Porsche & Ferrari owners...They don't have any questions. There is something about owning products like those which just can not be explained to people who don't already know the feeling. Once you get it, there is no sales pitch necessary. Everybody else can just go buy something else, you don't care. You have what turns you on, & that's all you need to know. RiP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back