Grado GR8 First Impressions
Apr 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #91 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GR8 can be driven unamped. However, they will sound much better amped. This is from personal experience. After listening to them amped for 3 months, I tried them again unamped and wouldn't be able to live with that because I now know their potential. I'm sure some of it depends on your DAP. I'm using the Sony X1050. Hope this helps.

What amp are u using, and how would you describe the change in signature and resulting synergy.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #92 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you wanna spend $300 or so its the Monster MD's/Coppers or the Ortofon e-Q7/GR8 as the best IEM candidates IMO. Depends on the sound you want.

Pretty much sums it up unless you want accurate/stage monitor sound, and then there is the UM3X and SM2/SM3. And an overly warm sound you have the W3 and IE8. And an analytical sound...the ER4P is still a favorite. And the list goes on
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #93 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp are u using, and how would you describe the change in signature and resulting synergy.

I'm using an ibasso T3. Although I preferred the D4 with headphones, I prefer the T3 with the GR8 due to a tighter bass and better overall balance. The signature doesn't change much from straight out of the dap, but the clarity is much, much better. Everything is tighter and more controlled overall. They now sound muddy unamped in comparison. The difference reminds me of trying to amp the DT880/600ohm headphones with the D4 before I got the Mapletree Ear+ HD. The little portable would drive them volume wise with no problem, but sq wise I could have never lived with that. But paired with a good, dedicated tube amp, the Beyers are now my favorite phones. Amping the GR8 has the same effect. This is just my experience.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #94 of 100
I would have to agree that amping does help. I compared:
Fuze HPO v Fuze -> Film cap LOD -> Arrow: huge difference in the treble. I thought the GR8 sounded very bad from the Fuze HPO.
iPhone 3G HPO v iPhone -> LOD -> Arrow: not as big of a difference, but a difference none-the-less.

Of the two line outs, I prefer the Fuze sound signature as it seems to match my preference.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #95 of 100
I pair mine with d-10 ibasso and it brings them alive. Now I can't listen to them otherwise. Th GR8s really are a IEM to be recond with and it sounds like others are starting to take note to. I don't have much expertise, just no what I like to here. But not everyone has or wants to spend $300 on IEMs so I am sure there are a lot of other options out there. Average Joe surely knows his stuff.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #96 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using an ibasso T3. Although I preferred the D4 with headphones, I prefer the T3 with the GR8 due to a tighter bass and better overall balance. The signature doesn't change much from straight out of the dap, but the clarity is much, much better. Everything is tighter and more controlled overall. They now sound muddy unamped in comparison. The difference reminds me of trying to amp the DT880/600ohm headphones with the D4 before I got the Mapletree Ear+ HD. The little portable would drive them volume wise with no problem, but sq wise I could have never lived with that. But paired with a good, dedicated tube amp, the Beyers are now my favorite phones. Amping the GR8 has the same effect. This is just my experience.

Fascinating, i was worried the T3 might be a bit on the warm side matching w/ the GR8's. Thats great news about the synergy. Since the MD's are also on the warm side but not as dark as the GR8's unamped I think I might try the T3 w/ the MD's and see if they dont add a lil more life to them in the upper registers. The MD's arent as sensitive as the GR8's though but I play them both at the same volume levels pretty much, maybe a notch less on the GR8's.

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #98 of 100
won an ebay auction today and got some gr8s again. I also have a pair of re0s coming tomorrow. Not sure if I want to open them though. Might use them for outside work, not sure. I think I might Finally sell my hf2s since i almost cannot wear them anymore due to my ears hurting and people at work really dont like what I listen to. Might have to keep them around just incase though. Damn this site.......

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #99 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone have a comparison of the gr8s and RE0s?

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
won an ebay auction today and got some gr8s again. I also have a pair of re0s coming tomorrow.

You can be the first!

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #100 of 100
I guess I could compare them. I have a nasty ear infectionin both ears and am taking antibiotics now. I should get the re0s today. I'm just going to put tjm on the ipodand throw them in a drawer until I get back from vacation next weekend. Hopefully over a week is enough time for my ears to clear up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back