Grado GR8 First Impressions
Oct 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #17 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Japanese

Japanese earphones can be very good, the GR8s didn't look all that great...

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 100
I just thought that I would give an update on the GR8's.

After 2 weeks of use (about 2-3 hours a day), the left driver developed some problems. The highs started to get harsh and the bass became very distorted. I didn't drive them too hard: straight from a MacBook Pro at a volume of 2-3 clicks.

Since it was fresh out of the box, I first thought that there was something wrong with the Mac. But when I plugged my Etymotics in, they were clear as can be. I tried the Grados with my iPhone and the distortion was still present.

I was fortunate enough to be able to return them and get my money back (the store didn't have another pair in stock). I am unsure if I will get another pair, since I just replaced them with the Senn. IE8's (I'm still testing the waters...).

The Senns. should arrive early next week. Hopefully my memory of the Grado's sound will hold up so I can do a comparison.

Oh, two things (one related, the other not):

The GR8's are compatible with the Comply T400 tips. (it's not mentioned on Comply's site yet)

Has anyone else noticed the tremendous bass performance of the new MacBook Pros when coupled with low-impedence IEMs? The MBP makes the Etymotic ER6i sound amazing and gives them a substantial boost in the low end (I would describe it as rich, and punchy, not forced or bloated).

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #19 of 100
I just did a comparison of the GR8 with several other IEM's including the IE8 and Westone 3 and found the GR8 to be exactly what I was wanting, but didn't think they would actually pull off. The GR8's actually retain the Grado sound with the highs being a bit smoother. Do they sound like a SR225i? How could they? They are an IEM, not an open cup can. But they have the basic Grado sound signature and my ears picked up on it right away. In fact, I think they sound great, much better than expected.

There has been some complaints about the $300 price point, but sound wise they rival costlier IEMs. They just don't come with a case or a bunch of accessories, although they come with extra filters. So imo the price point is where it should be.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #20 of 100
Interesting! I have not heard them yet but am eager to give them a try. This motivates me quite a bit more to get moving on that.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 100
I know what you mean, but I have my UM3X up for sale right now. I just can't seem to fall in love with them, for some reason. Even with the UM56 sleeves, which keep the driver body away from my ear and for long-term use are not comfy. Oddly enough the UM56s work best with my $16 im616s,which have Ety drivers. Great combo. I tried the full-size complys today for the first time and it sounded pretty nice, so that may be the answer.

Anyway, I'll have to think about. Might even be worth paying a restocking fee. Not quite sure yet.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #24 of 100
Well, I returned the IE8s very quickly and I have owned a pair of the IE7 for about a month now I am pleased enough to keep them, but I would have preferred a new pair of GR8 instead. Maybe I will pick up another pair when I get back to the States (I'm in the UK now where the $:£ conversion makes buying the GR8 prohibitive).

After trying a multitude of "top" IEMs I have to agree with Dongringo, they are perfect for Grado fans--of which I am one.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #25 of 100
@ vinnievidi, I'm contemplating ordering the Comply T400 tips for the GR8. Which size should I get if the large silicone GR8 tips barely fit? Are the large ones larger than the large GR8s? Also, did you notice a difference in the sound if you had them?

UPDATE: I've put about 30 hours on the GR8s (I burn in while listening). I haven't noticed a significant difference yet in the sound. The highs are crystal clear and super smooth, mids upfront, and a precise bass. They don't have that gut wrenching punch that the Grado headphones have, but I find that smoothness actually refreshing while I'm out and about on the weekends after listening to RS1i's all week at home. I wouldn't want to blow my ear drums to bits with little Grado cans shoved in the ear canals. The GR8 is the Grado sound, yet smooth...and definitely for people who love the Grado signature. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't like Grados, but highly recommend them to those who do.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #26 of 100
@vinnie

Curiosity killed the cat, or my wallet, in this case... shouldn't have read this thread
biggrin.gif
. I'm also an Ety ER4P user who is a Grado fan and always wanted a little more heft to the Ety sound. Thanks for your review.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #27 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ vinnievidi, I'm contemplating ordering the Comply T400 tips for the GR8. Which size should I get if the large silicone GR8 tips barely fit? Are the large ones larger than the large GR8s? Also, did you notice a difference in the sound if you had them?

Dongringo,

Hmmm, how best to answer the first part of this... For me, the medium sized silicone were perfect, but the small sized Comply tips worked best. Maybe you can pick up the three pack (S/M/L) to see if the medium or large would best suit you. Then buy a 5 pack of whichever size worked best.

To answer the second part:
I thought that the comply were more comfortable for long listening sessions, but the silicone tips sounded better.
I did notice that the sound got a little warmer when using the Comply tips. When doing an A/B comparison between them and the silicone tips, I was a bit disappointed (Though the highs were present and clear, I felt like they were too recessed). BUT, with that said, after a couple of hours with the Comply tips I started to get used to the sound and the added warmth didn't bother me as much. For the time that I had the GR8 I would swap tips depending on if I was listening at home (the silicone) or going out and about (the Comply).

I hope this helps.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #28 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@vinnie

Curiosity killed the cat, or my wallet, in this case... shouldn't have read this thread
biggrin.gif
. I'm also an Ety ER4P user who is a Grado fan and always wanted a little more heft to the Ety sound. Thanks for your review.

Agreed. Head-Fi posts are terrible for putting the "oh great... I have to go out and buy those" bug in your head. Shame that it reflects on the wallet though.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #29 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnievidi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dongringo,

Hmmm, how best to answer the first part of this... For me, the medium sized silicone were perfect, but the small sized Comply tips worked best. Maybe you can pick up the three pack (S/M/L) to see if the medium or large would best suit you. Then buy a 5 pack of whichever size worked best.

To answer the second part:
I thought that the comply were more comfortable for long listening sessions, but the silicone tips sounded better.
I did notice that the sound got a little warmer when using the Comply tips. When doing an A/B comparison between them and the silicone tips, I was a bit disappointed (Though the highs were present and clear, I felt like they were too recessed). BUT, with that said, after a couple of hours with the Comply tips I started to get used to the sound and the added warmth didn't bother me as much. For the time that I had the GR8 I would swap tips depending on if I was listening at home (the silicone) or going out and about (the Comply).

I hope this helps.

Thanks, much appreciated. Yeah, I'll go for the variety pack to start.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back