Grado GR8 First Impressions
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #78 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't sell them or send them back. You will regret it! I sold mine and totally regret it and miss them bigtime. Probably end up buying it again.

That review on page 4 from Vinnievidi is very very accurate. Totally agree!

Damn it. The search is already on for another pair. With complaints piling up at work about my hf2s being loud, I have to consider getting rid of them. Spyro is correct in saying I will regret getting rid of them. Would like to find some before I go on vacation so they can be playing while I'm gone.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #79 of 100
Well I ended up getting me another pair.

I think what is addicting or intoxicating with the GR8 is the combination of the forward midrange along with exceptional transparency. It sort of puts you inside of the music. There is nothing between you and the music...you become part of it where you stop thinking about the IEM and it's traits...you are focused on the music and the music alone. It's really hard to explain but ironically, this is what Grado says is there #1 focus when designing headphone/earphones. It's all about the music and nothing else. Most people are saying the more they listened to the GR8 the more they like them. Could be burn in or perhaps this type of sound is an acquired taste...like good Scotch. But I have been reaching for these more than my W3's lately. Time will tell.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #80 of 100
haha that didnt take very long to repurchase these :p

I really wish I was able to try these out and compare to the e-Q7 but no intentions on buying earphones for a very long time. The two really do sound similar from what I've read.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #81 of 100
How does the GR8 compare with the e-Q7? They both share similar qualities such as smoothness with great detail, transparency, and great cohesiveness across the spectrum. Where they differ is in the sound signature, with the GR8 being a little warmer/darker and more mid focused than the e-Q7.

If the e-Q7 is a better version of the CK10, the GR8 is a better version of the SE530 IMO.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #82 of 100
Interesting, I've been listening to some GR8's and Monster MD's and so far prefer the MD's. I did like the GR8's as the moving armature really seems to work. It was just shy of the fullness or body the MD's bring to the table. I was curious if the e-Q7 would make me change my mind however. So just better in the treble in your opinions than the GR8? Joe, I read you sampled a defective e-Q7, is that right?

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #83 of 100
Yes, my e-Q7 has a channel imbalance. But regardless of that, it is still transparent and has the same qualities, it just sounds odd, a little (and I mean just a little) like when you get water in one ear, but not the other, but for an IEM in that price range, it shouldn't be!

I don't think the e-Q7 will give you the fullness of the MD, as the GR8 is warmer than the e-Q7. And the treble in the GR8 is not bad at all, just not as much there as the e-Q7. So, IMO the e-Q7 will not make you change your mind.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #85 of 100
THen there is the whole idea of letting you ears adjust. To just swap them out back and forth, there will be glaring differences I suppose. My W3 slams WAY harder that GR8 but after having GR8 in your ears a while, believe me, there is plenty of bass but it's more about body than heaviness. Your mind starts telling you that "this is probably more what the music should sound like." But it's personal preference too. I have very high regard for W3 and am not quite ready to say GR8 is superior in sound. But I beleive AvergaeJoe and Tstarn6 (who also has GR8), definitely prefer the GR8.

So simple to use and take in and out, too yet I find the isolation adequate for me.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #86 of 100
Sound comes down to sound signature preference IMO. For example, in my top-tier thread, the IEMs all have many very positive traits, but all do have different sound signatures, although there are some that are similar. If you like bass, dynamics have more reverb than BA, including the new BAs in the GR8 and e-Q7. But I find the bass of those two to be more realistic and natural. But I have no problem saying I do prefer the bass slam of the Copper many times, such as at work when I am not focused on the music and want to "get going."

I do like my IEM collection, want to sell some stuff, but I am having some issues deciding what to sell as everything I own does something quite well, but different. I do enjoy changing my IEMs often.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #87 of 100
After read this thread... gr8 is the best iem for his price? I don't have much experience or collection of iem that many people in this forum. I don't want make a collection. I recently bought from my friends one ipod nano 2g in beauty condition for his Wolfson chip, for rockbox and because he is Ipod and I like all of his world of accessories. Now I want buy a serious iem and after read this thread I would choose gr8. Is a good choice for unamped player because gr8 is really high impedance?

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #88 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by gianluca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After read this thread... gr8 is the best iem for his price? I don't have much experience or collection of iem that many people in this forum. I don't want make a collection. I recently bought from my friends one ipod nano 2g in beauty condition for his Wolfson chip, for rockbox and because he is Ipod and I like all of his world of accessories. Now I want buy a serious iem and after read this thread I would choose gr8. Is a good choice for unamped player because gr8 is really high impedance?

Not sure if you were asking but I personally don't believe they have to be amped. They were fine to me with my iPod and computer sound card. That's just me though.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #89 of 100
They do not need an amp. Although they have high impedance they are quite sensitive and fine out of a DAP (Digital Audio Player).

Make sure you read the threads on all the IEM's discussed here. Don't fall victim to buying an IEM due to thread fixation. If you wanna spend $300 or so its the Monster MD's/Coppers or the Ortofon e-Q7/GR8 as the best IEM candidates IMO. Depends on the sound you want.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #90 of 100
The GR8 can be driven unamped. However, they will sound much better amped. This is from personal experience. After listening to them amped for 3 months, I tried them again unamped and wouldn't be able to live with that because I now know their potential. I'm sure some of it depends on your DAP. I'm using the Sony X1050. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back