Grado GH-1 Discussion
Apr 9, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #781 of 1,091
@krud484 Thanks for the thoughts. Burn-in is not something I've experienced with headphone pads! (Everything else, yes.) Which makes me reflect: I've had so much more difference lately with power supplies and cables that I think I'll put more effort into those than ear pads! But, we'll see...

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #783 of 1,091
  im a grado fan, i have rs1i, gsk, psk. i love grado, maybe will buy this have a try.

You should! They are likely the best (tonally speaking) John Grado headphone yet.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #784 of 1,091

Hi, @DTKZ and @Bonobo Loco and others who've posted to help me along this path...

I got my GH-1 a few months ago and then promptly got busy at work and stopped checking in here. I did listen non-critically and compared them to other 'phones, primarily the Philips Fidelio X2 which isn't really apples to apples. (One is about the bass, the other is about mids/trebles. Guess which is which? ;^)

Well, I got used to the stock L cushions and while they sound great, I dislike how they feel after a while so I decided the time had come to try the G cushions. Ordered-arrived-listened. And... trade-off. I gave it about 20 minutes, and made my decision. Here's what I experienced if it helps:

To my ears, G cushions move the drivers away from your ears enough that you get a slightly enhanced sense of airiness around (but not necessarily "in") the recording. You also get (bonus) a bit of what I call ear-lobe-thump, which is the pleasant (to me) sensation of my ear lobes vibrating to the bass. You might say the treble softens/sweetens slightly. It's quite nice. What I missed however, was the lower mid-range and upper bass that you (I mean, I) get with the drivers closer to the ear canals.

The G cushions resulted in too much of a "V" shaped frequency response with the GH-1s compared to the L cushions. I prefer a slightly pronounced but integrated bass or very slight lower case "n" if I have a choice with my frequency response curve.

Could I live with the Gs? I tried moving them around my head to position the drivers higher or lower. I tried adjusting the pads to try and move them slightly closer to my ears. Nothing really worked for me except pushing the drivers closer. So, in the end (20 minutes!) I switched back the L cushions and packed the G's away. 

I know lots of folks love the Gs, and more power to you. In the meantime, I'll either return mine or try to sell them here. This is entirely normal. At least it wasn't a $300 cable or something! And speaking of cables (off topic here), I am hugely impressed at what the Shunyata Venom USB cable is doing in front of an Uptone Regen > Schiit Modi 2 DAC > inexpensive Denon mini-receiver! Wow... PRaT in spades!

Anyway, I do want to say thanks to all who raved about the G cushion as it certainly was worth a try. And the GH-1s continue to please. Ya gotta find what you like in this hobby. (A coworker isn't impressed at all by Grado and just loves his V-Moda... All about the bass.)

Cheers-

I wouldn't sell those G cushions.  I've been pretty vocal about preferring the L cushions to the G cushions in the majority of cases.  A while back, I wrote that I prefer the L cushions about 80% of the time, with the G cushions getting the nod only about 20% of the time.  I still stand by that, where as much as I enjoy the more up front sound of the L cushions, there are some recordings where I feel it's just too in-your-face, and I enjoy the G cushions calming things down a bit.  I find the G cushions to be immense fun listening to jazz, female vocals, etc.  They're a cheap enough and obviously reversible enough mod, and in my opinion they are worth holding on to.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #788 of 1,091
  I believe @ruthieandjohn is waiting for his GS1Ke to accumulate more burn-in to compare to the GH-1w (G) cushions. I don't remember reading any comparisons as of yet.

Correct... I have compared the PS1000, PS1000e, and GH-1, but not yet the GS1000e, as it is still improving (though SLLOOOWWWWLLLYYY) with use.  

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #791 of 1,091
Ha, it reminds of what I saw said of the iGrado, (now eGrado). They take forever to run-in. Haha, oh nooo I think I want some eGrado.

LOL, I have two pairs of eGrados use one set every day at work. The second set is a backup and I use them at home.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #792 of 1,091
May 6, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #795 of 1,091
No serial number on my GH-1 either. (but they are simple to draw onto either earpiece with a pen if you want one... also be sure to write it on the upper left corner of the back of the box!  
blink.gif
 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back