Grado GH-1 Discussion
Nov 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #361 of 1,091
  I know some of you said the Grado cushions are better​, but the Chinese ones are so much cheaper.

I think some of the fake G-pads are pretty good (it's not like the official Grado one is made out of exotic materials), but the sound is quite different, based on my experience. Some of the fake one are very soft and cushy, but loses a lot of midrange.
It would be good to get the official G-pads, because if you buy a fake one, you will always have in the back of your mind that the sound may not be optimal.

In any case, I think a lot of Grado fans already have a PS1000 or GS1000 with them, so they can easily swap out the pads from their collection. It would be good if you can borrow and try out the pads at a shop or at a meet.

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #364 of 1,091

beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #365 of 1,091
Anyone have any cosmetic problems with your GH-1's? Received mine last Friday from Crutchfield. They look good on all the outside parts. When I removed the pads I have a chip out of the wood beside the driver on one cup. Doesn't hurt anything but doesn't look good either. I'm sure Grado didn't want to lose any ear cups as they had a limited amount so I can see why they used it. I know Grado is known for cosmetic problems on their phones and I have seen some 'flaws' on other Grados in the past. It was also kind of irritating that the cables were kinked because the ear cups had been twisted around a couple of times.

I am pleased with the sound quality of the GH-1. When I compare them to my 225e, I don't hear much difference in detail, although I think instruments are easier to separate on the GH-1. The GH-1 also has a smoother sound and the highs aren't as 'sharp' as the 225e. The GH-1 is much more pleasing to listen to without causing fatigue but very detailed at the same time.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #366 of 1,091
Send a photo to Crutchfield and Grado. Crutchfiled may offer you a partial refund rather than risk a return, depending on what you want.

The Grado contact email is:
info@gradolabs.com
You can find it near the bottom of this page. http://www.gradolabs.com/warranty

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #368 of 1,091
  Anyone have any cosmetic problems with your GH-1's? Received mine last Friday from Crutchfield. They look good on all the outside parts. When I removed the pads I have a chip out of the wood beside the driver on one cup. Doesn't hurt anything but doesn't look good either. I'm sure Grado didn't want to lose any ear cups as they had a limited amount so I can see why they used it. I know Grado is known for cosmetic problems on their phones and I have seen some 'flaws' on other Grados in the past. It was also kind of irritating that the cables were kinked because the ear cups had been twisted around a couple of times.

I am pleased with the sound quality of the GH-1. When I compare them to my 225e, I don't hear much difference in detail, although I think instruments are easier to separate on the GH-1. The GH-1 also has a smoother sound and the highs aren't as 'sharp' as the 225e. The GH-1 is much more pleasing to listen to without causing fatigue but very detailed at the same time.

Congrats on the GH-1, they're a great buy.

I'm not surprised by this. I don't have a problem with the fact that Grado dosen't want to scrap an earcup, if the defect doesn't hurt the sound, of course. However I do have a problem with the fact that they don't inform the customer. 

I also don't appreciate the fact that they're selling these damaged headphones for the full retail price. If I was in Grado's place, I would post a pictrue, and a description of the problem, I'd lower the price, and I'd sell these damaged products, straight from the company.

This way, Grado would not only sell these damaged products, but they would avoid some back and fourth shipping. It would also prevent them from having pissed off customers, and dealers, who always end up getting caught in the middle of these situations.

On a more positive note, last night, I did a little comparison between my PS1k and my GH-1/G, and for the first time since I've bought them, I preferred the GH-1/G, to the PS1k. Considering how much I like my PS1k, I'd say that this says a lot about the GH-1/G's sound quality.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #369 of 1,091
  On a more positive note, last night, I did a little comparison between my PS1k and my GH-1/G, and for the first time since I've bought them, I preferred the GH-1/G, to the PS1k. Considering how much I like my PS1k, I'd say that this says a lot about the GH-1/G's sound quality.

I also loved my PS1K but recently sold them…not the GH-1 w(G) cushions. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #370 of 1,091
   I also loved my PS1K but recently sold them…not the GH-1 w(G) cushions. 
beerchug.gif

A few days ago, I would have said, ''WHAT HAVE YOU DONE''. Now, I have to say that the thought of selling my PS1k, has crossed my mind. Over the next few days, I'm going to keep comparing the two, some more.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #371 of 1,091

A few days ago, I would have said, ''WHAT HAVE YOU DONE''. Now, I have to say that the thought of selling my PS1k, has crossed my mind. Over the next few days, I'm going to keep comparing the two, some more.

I had also compared both thoroughly before choosing which to sell…once I heard the 009 I knew I'd let the PS1K go and keep the GH-1. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #372 of 1,091
  I had also compared both thoroughly before choosing which to sell…once I heard the 009 I knew I'd let the PS1K go and keep the GH-1. 

The way I see it, even if the PS1k and the GH-1 sounded exactly the same, selling the PS1k would still be the smart thing to do. I think that the GH-1's value will keep increasing over time, partly because it's a limited edition product, and also because the word about their great sound will keep on spreading.

I would have a harder time selling my Bushmills, than I would my PS1k. As you know, I'm a car guy, and I see my PS1k as 2010 Bentley, and my Bushmills as a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6. The Bentley is a better performer overall, but anybody that has enough money, can go to a Bentley dealer and buy one.

Like the Bushmills, the Chevelle is much more scarce, and even if you have the money to buy one, finding one that's going to have low mileage, the right exterior, and interior colors, the right version of LS6 engine, transmission, equipement etc...is next to impossible.

I feel the same way about my GH-1, and my HP1000. That explains why I wouldn't have a problem selling my PS1k, my SR80e, and why I sold my GS1k. 

I can't aford my dream cars, so I see my Bushmills as a Chevelle, my GH-1 as a 1969 Mustang Boss 302, and my HP1000 as my 1959 Cadillac Eldorado. So even if I'd buy a pair of 009, (Bugatti Veyron), I'd still keep my limited edition Grados, because I feel lucky to own them.   

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #373 of 1,091
  I can't aford my dream cars, so I see my Bushmills as a Chevelle, my GH-1 as a 1969 Mustang Boss 302, and my HP1000 as my 1959 Cadillac Eldorado. So even if I'd buy a pair of 009, (Bugatti Veyron), I'd still keep my limited edition Grados, because I feel lucky to own them.   

I feel the same about owning the GH-1/RS1i which I could never buy *NEW* again. If I wanted to, I could always buy the PS1Ke 
*NEW* which I've already had for a week and wouldn't hesitate to buy being I enjoyed both the PS1K/e so this could happen in the future.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #374 of 1,091
  I really enjoy the GH-1 when I use em, which isn't all that often since I can't wear my glasses with them, but I hope to use those cans more in the future. Maybe I'll even get the G pads someday. Also, I don't think I'm ever going to finish my review. :p

I wear my L-cushion Grado with glasses. I don't put my headphones on over the glasses arms though, because it hurts. I put headphones on, then lay the glasses arms that go over the ears, over the top of the L-cushion. (Not round the outside of the headphone, but rather over the top.) It leaves glasses on at an angle but it works perfectly well. Hope it helps.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #375 of 1,091
I know just what you mean.

While I cannot begin to claim to be a car guy like @stacker45 (requires way more knowledge than I have), I can claim to be a toilet paper guy, based on my frequent and abundant usage, and correlate different Grados with different wipes.

The PS1000... that is the Charmin Stroft, the one that is both strong and soft, but supremely expensive.

The newbie on the block, the GH1, threatens the PS1000, just like new Cottonelle Ultra threatens Charmin Stroft. I may soon publish a comparative review (!)

My Bushmills? Well, they correspond to the long-ago stopped experiment of pre-moistened toilet paper, the Proctor and Gamble Flushables. Who knows about them anymore? If you are lucky enough to find a NOS box, say on eBay, you will find them at a price that is at least 6 times, and could be as much as ten times, their original cost of $1.29 per box.

If ever I dally into the fantasy of buying Beats headphones, I will be buying the Weep toilet paper that stars in the graffiti of public restrooms ("Come on in! Watch strong men WEEP! We have thin toilet paper and No Soap!")

I promise to study hard so I can graduate from toilet paper guy to car guy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back