Grado for Jazz/Classical?
Jul 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBlanchard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that grado's are known as very good headphones for rock....

but how do they do on classical and jazz, or slightly slower peices such as female vocals?

No, they have that "electronic" kind of sound, not suited for classical at all. I can smell gasoline and engine grease when I listen to them, that's what they sound like.

For classical you might want to look at the audio technicas and sennheisers.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 41
hmm,

I think the GS1000 with jazz and classical are very agreeable with the extended highs and the punchy bass, not forgetting the detailed mids when paired with a powerful amp.

Senns is veiled when not paired with a powerful source, and when is paired with a powerful one, its sound is rolled off on the high notes.

I think a sweet spot would be the metal grados or the alessandro MS2i.

though their soundstage is not comparable to the GS1000.

otherwise, I would go with a metal grado if I am on a budget and wants an open-ear can.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Float /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm,

I think the GS1000 with jazz and classical are very agreeable with the extended highs and the punchy bass, not forgetting the detailed mids when paired with a powerful amp.

Senns is veiled when not paired with a powerful source, and when is paired with a powerful one, its sound is rolled off on the high notes.

I think a sweet spot would be the metal grados or the alessandro MS2i.

though their soundstage is not comparable to the GS1000.

otherwise, I would go with a metal grado if I am on a budget and wants an open-ear can.

I have heard the GS1000 and find it to be a bit too unnatural. Soundstage is TOO wide, I can hear each voice so clearly, that it's no longer immersive. Also, was he looking for such an expensive headphone? I was mainly thinking of the Sr60-sr225 class.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 41
For me this spells GS-1000 all over the place if you got a good amp. They are my absolute favourits for these types of music but not so good with rock

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 41
I would probably say no. Mids are way to nonexistant imo though its slightly better on 125.

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they have that "electronic" kind of sound, not suited for classical at all.

LOL!

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

care to elaborate?

I just thought it was a very bold statement to generalize all Grado as electronical sounding.

In my ears, the RS-1's does not sound "electronical". I really do not know what he means by that, but when I think of electronical, it is artificial, sort of "digitalized" sounding if you get what I mean. That is definetely not the first thing that comes to mind. RS-1's are colored, yes, but I think they have a natural, organic sound to them, and a nice "sweetness" caused by the beautiful midrange.
If I have to choose, I would say the HD650 sounds more "electronical" than the RS-1's, but this is me and my ears speaking. Both are excellent cans IMO.

I am not sure of the RS-1's capability with classical music though. I do not listen to the genre, but their soundstage is not very large, and I reckon things can become a bit "crowdy". It has been reported that the GS1000 is very good for that. I have not listened to them yet. And, after all, it all comes down to the rest of the audio chain.

The best thing is to audition them for yourself, and listen to each brands sound signature.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

what about the SR series?

Never heard them.

I have to add that so far, I prefer RS-1 over HD650 with female vocals, and acoustic instruments. Again, it sounds sweeter to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 41
Grados & Alessandros don't work for classical due to lacking soundscape IMO (exception: solo instrument partitas). However, at least for the Alessandros, that can be cured if they get equipped with distancer pieces and GS1000 pads. That is quite an experience then.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 41
Alessandro MS Pro (used with flat earpads) work very nicely with jazz vocals. Ditto re jazz instrumentals and RS-1(again, flat earpads). However, when it comes to using the word classical - you have to make some differentiations. The RS-1 and the MS Pro's (both w/flats) will do nicely for small format classical - meaning string quartets, trios, solo instruments etc.. When it comes to Chorales, Symphony, Opera etc. - they be thin-sounding, and therefore you're much better off with X-Deep Darths, or choose a Beyer model, or JVC DX1000, or a Joe Grado HP-2, or modded AKG k340.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back