Grado for Jazz/Classical?
Jul 6, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #31 of 41
The narrow soundstage and the forwardness of the RS-1 is 'terrible' with Orchestral pieces. Even for piano recitals, it just... well, doesn't sound very right.

What Grado's do with Rock, the K701's do with classical
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warsurferX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The narrow soundstage and the forwardness of the RS-1 is 'terrible' with Orchestral pieces. Even for piano recitals, it just... well, doesn't sound very right.

What Grado's do with Rock, the K701's do with classical
smily_headphones1.gif

X2!!

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people always approach "classical" or "jazz" as a single genre?! It simply isn't!

They sort of are. I find that their instrumental sounds are very similar. There are also many classical works that incorporate jazz elements. So headphones that do well in one, is likely to do well in the other.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #36 of 41
I didn't mean classical and jazz as a single genre, but classical and jazz, individually, as a single genre... Sorry for the confusion.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #38 of 41
I see "classical" as having several subset requirements as to venue size/location requirements/listening perspective..eg. Opera, Symphony, String Quartets, solo instruments, etc...
Also, see "jazz" as having several subset requirements.....eg. female jazz vocal needs in eg. a club and the typical audience perspective being quite different in their needs eg. instrumentals as evidenced typically with 'trane, Miles, Clark Terry, Buddy Rich, Ellington, Basie etc..
It takes differing 'phones and anciliary equipment to more-correctly reproduce the experience within each "genre". The same is also true when choosing speaker setups. Once upon a time I clearly heard heard the impact of these choices when comparing a much "larger" alternative speaker setup to my Vandersteen setup (clearly superior for typical jazz combos vs. large format classical.......but, unable to keep my Vandersteen setup, and still get the other speaker setup........no room in my space for both.
frown.gif
had to return the other speakers/amp etc.. Would have luved having both.
Today, with the advances of headphone equipment it is much easier - but, still not equal to those speaker setups, alas.
At that time the Vandersteen setup actually could fool you into thinking a Segovia recording to be a live performance. A truly rare occasion - and an obvious delight.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see "classical" as having several subset requirements as to venue size/location requirements/listening perspective..eg. Opera, Symphony, String Quartets, solo instruments, etc...
Also, see "jazz" as having several subset requirements.....eg. female jazz vocal needs in eg. a club and the typical audience perspective being quite different in their needs eg. instrumentals as evidenced typically with 'trane, Miles, Clark Terry, Buddy Rich, Ellington, Basie etc..
It takes differing 'phones and anciliary equipment to more-correctly reproduce the experience within each "genre". The same is also true when choosing speaker setups. Once upon a time I clearly heard heard the impact of these choices when comparing a much "larger" alternative speaker setup to my Vandersteen setup (clearly superior for typical jazz combos vs. large format classical.......but, unable to keep my Vandersteen setup, and still get the other speaker setup........no room in my space for both.
frown.gif
had to return the other speakers/amp etc.. Would have luved having both.
Today, with the advances of headphone equipment it is much easier - but, still not equal to those speaker setups, alas.
At that time the Vandersteen setup actually could fool you into thinking a Segovia recording to be a live performance. A truly rare occasion - and an obvious delight.

Ah, someone on the same page as I am
cool.gif
Now getting back to the topic of this thread...

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #40 of 41
It really comes down to personal preference and of course to the music listened to.

my most used headphones are my stax 2050 set and my grado-sr225.

for large orchestral work i never use the grados because instrument separation and stagewidth is important to me there.

however the grado 'timbre' can sound great on solo cello recordings or solo piano sometimes.

for the kind of jazz i hear which is mostly instrumental trios and percussion focused jazz the presentation of the grado and stax is so different that it can be a joy to listen to both because it feels like getting two CDs for the price of one.

but while (for my taste) usable for some jazz and classical music there are simply other areas where grados really shine and they are much better suited for. if you only listen to jazz and classical i would recommend trying all other mentioned brands first.

i also own a pair of sr-60s and while they are great phones for the money i would not recommend them for jazz and classical music in general.

i have auditioned the 325i, rs-1 and gs-1000 and with my music going stax was an easy decision.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #41 of 41
Of all the Grados I've heard, the GS1000's win hands down for big scale classical. Unlike the RS-1's and below, they really have a pretty impressive soundstage , especially with the right amp.

The other Grados are fine for chamber music, solo piano, small scale jazz if you like a close presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back