Grado e Series
Dec 5, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #6,526 of 6,729
My experience as an audiophile isn't much, but I do love music. About 10 years ago I bought a pair of 125i's and after breaking them in they ended up being then and still now a purchase I'll never forget. I also deeply regretted it after I sold them. You will never hear music the same way again once you've used Grado. So speed forward 10 years and I wanted that sound back. I mistakenly thought I'd owned SR-60i's so I purchased the SR-60e's. For $60 I thought I'd be a idiot not to buy them. This was a few months back. They just recently started sounding like I remember that Grado sound should. So that's exciting. At the same time, I wanted to upgrade. After researching and factoring in my budget, I decided the 225e's were the best choice. They came in today, and out of the box I can already tell a difference. Better isn't a word I would use, neither is worse. I reserve any sort of judgments til they've been broken in. Couple shots of my Grado pizza. http://imgur.com/gallery/mtYWg

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #6,527 of 6,729
if it is any consolation the ps1k originals did not come in a box that nice lol. that is a nice story though. music is very powerful. it was my job. these are just the tools that deliver it. .....the ups guy is the tool that delivers the tools i guess then haha. well, my guy does not seem to have the word fragile in his vocabulary.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #6,528 of 6,729
I have read that after the initial release of the e-series, there was some concern over protruding drivers in the RS1e. Subsequently, it seems that Grado began to flush mount them.

My question is, did they also begin to flush mount the drivers in the other 50mm driver models? I am particularly interested in the GS1000e.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #6,530 of 6,729
The e should be a different driver. 50mm.  plus maybe it looks like the same driver but the spider has different windings etc. or maybe it does not matter. different materials and size chambers sound different. i do not think you uncovered a conspiracy lol.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #6,534 of 6,729
Brand new to the forum. I'm trying to read thru the entire thread. (Right now, I'm up to page 60. I have a lot of reading left to go.) Just figured I'd post and see if I could get some quick input. My wife got me my first pair of Grados for my birthday (I sent her a link. :wink: ) I asked for the SR80e's after wanting to try a pair of Grados for years and reading that was a decent starting point.

My question is will I be happy with the SR80e's for now or should I just give them a try and, if I enjoy the Grado sound, return them and upgrade to the SR325e's?

I debated the decision for awhile, but I chose the SR80e's because it seemed I'd have a good idea of the Grado sound and she would pay for them and I wouldn't have to kick in some $ towards my gift (and not get a disapproving look from her since I JUST bought a pair of HiFiMan HE-400i's about a month ago!)

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #6,535 of 6,729
Brand new to the forum. I'm trying to read thru the entire thread. (Right now, I'm up to page 60. I have a lot of reading left to go.) Just figured I'd post and see if I could get some quick input. My wife got me my first pair of Grados for my birthday (I sent her a link.
wink.gif
) I asked for the SR80e's after wanting to try a pair of Grados for years and reading that was a decent starting point.

My question is will I be happy with the SR80e's for now or should I just give them a try and, if I enjoy the Grado sound, return them and upgrade to the SR325e's?

I debated the decision for awhile, but I chose the SR80e's because it seemed I'd have a good idea of the Grado sound and she would pay for them and I wouldn't have to kick in some $ towards my gift (and not get a disapproving look from her since I JUST bought a pair of HiFiMan HE-400i's about a month ago!)

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated!

I recommend enjoying the SR80e's for a while and then when the right sale hits  -- or a good used pair in the classifieds appears here on Head-Fi, which is where I got my SR325e's after buying the SR80e new -- then jump. :)

The SR325e's are a step up to my ears for sure, but they're also heavier cans.  I actually gave my SR80e's to a friend, but have since also got some Alessandro MS1e with the shallow cups, which are like the SR80e but with a slightly different sound and with cups that don't protrude as much, and I use those sometimes because they are lighter.

You might want to keep the SR80e's for that reason....

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #6,537 of 6,729
HarveySwick let me share with you my story my relationship with Gradro's. I work in Las Vegas as an audio engineer and one day coworker let me his pair of Grado SR60s and I was happy.. I have to admit that up to that point I had never heard anything quite like the Grado's.. the openness..the produced the feeling of oneness with the music..the sounds but I've never heard from other headphones .. I have been mixing audio for years but the Grado's were different The sound they produced pleased my ears in ways that no other headphones could even come close .. yes I was so happy with those headphones so happy in fact that I decided to Buy myself a pair.. then one day I decided it was time to bring them to work with me and use them as my headphones for mixing audio..Harvey I have to admit they worked beautifully.. that is until A coworker mistakenly grabbed my bag which had my headphones inside.. at that point i panicked I couldn't live without my Grado's and so on the way home I stopped at the local Grado dealer and I picked up a pair of SR80s . After my bag and headphones were returned to me I gave my SR 60s to my son and for a while I was very happy with my SR 80s unfortunately A coworker of mine let me listen to his pair of SR 325i's.... OMG I fell in love so I decided to sell my SR 80's and replace them with the 325i's.. unfortunately popular was out of 325's at that moment..But he did have a pair of RS2i's and the next thing I knew I was spending a lot more money than I expected to spend on a pair of wooden headphones... again I was very happy with my RS2i's... unfortunately one night when my wife is working late and I was sitting at home alone and feeling bored I decided to check out eBay and see if they had any Grado headphones.. much to my surprise there was a pair of PS 500s on eBay open box..opening bid $275.. after consuming too many beers I said to myself what the hell!! And placed a bid for $275.. not thinking that I would end up winning the damn bid. Now the PS 500s have a much warmer sound then most other headphones in the Grado line In fact there are a lot of people don't care for the PS500's. I on the other hand kinda I like the warmer sounded they produced.. and more importantly I liked the fact that they were slightly different.. . At that point I told myself that's it I am not buying another pair of Grado headphones I am stopping with the 500s.. and I did and then this year then I turned 61 and I decided to do something special for myself for Christmas and buy myself a pair of PS 1000e.. Harvey listen to me Grado's are not headphones..they are entry-level drug to the world of the audiophile. Stay away from them run away from them otherwise you'll be like me addicted.. that's what Gradro does to you in entices you.. it sucks you in with the RS 80s.. and then the next thing you know you're buying the PS 1000's. my advice to you is this start with the RS 325e's.. or the RS2e's..and then walk away.. don't look back.. and for the love of God don't try the PS500's RS1e or the Gs1000e otherwise they'll suck you in and you'll end up just like me you'll be addicted and a slave to Gradro's..

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #6,539 of 6,729
Repost from the Grado Fan Club thread:

I'm using a Dragonfly Red. I listen to a lot of acoustic and vocals so bass isn't as big of a deal to me as much as clarity. I listen to a lot of Beck, John Mayer, David Gray, Radiohead and female vocalists like Fiona Apple or Eisley. I think I may pick up the 325e's so I can have them both at the same time to compare. I've just read so much about the "Grado sound" and it seems to be very polarizing in that you either love it or hate it. I'm hoping I love it and the clarity/treble doesn't sound "tinny".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back