Grado e Series
Jun 25, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #5,146 of 6,729
PS500e's are amazingly dynamic and detailed.  Solid bass, but not overwhelming as some reviews might lead you to believe.
Just great headphones.

sr325 - top of their class, but the 500e's of course are the next class up

,,,haven't heard the RS2e's, but I didn't like the RS2i's.  Too light in the bass and just
sounded unbalanced.  Exchanged them for the RS1i's, which I still have.
Fortunately. :p

Are the sr325e's more detailed than the ps500e's? How about transparency and sound stage?

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #5,147 of 6,729
Are the sr325e's more detailed than the ps500e's? How about transparency and sound stage?

325e is brighter, so it feels more transparent. I never judged soundstage so I don't know.
I guess for normal people, ps500e will be the more musical ones of the two because it has elevated bass and a smidge more relaxed midrange in comparison.

But.. I only own the 325e of the two so others will be able to answers you better I believe.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #5,148 of 6,729

eek.gif
 I've never even read about anybody having these problems with the lower sr series since their drivers stayed the same size as previous generations?
I wish you still had them to check them out!
popcorn.gif

I put a picture on the Grado Fan Club, somewhere. I don't have it on my PC anymore. Basically my 60 80e and 325e all have pretty much negligible difference of cup-to-driver length.
The 60e protrudes so much forward (and no exaggeration there)... In addition I also said that it doesn't sound anything like a Grado. I basically ****ted on it hard.
It sounds like, I don't know, a random cheap warm headphones.

Maybe there is a truth somewhere on driver protrusion length = Weird sounds. Because the 60 and 60e could not have sound more different (now this is an exaggeration).

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #5,152 of 6,729
  Has anyone tried TTVJ Flat Pads on the 325e?  Wondering if is worth the $35 investment.

TTVJ Flat Pads will add more bass, less treble/sound-stage. I've tried them on both my 325is's/RS1i's and definitely preferred the Grado (L) cushions…just my preference. But it is worth a try too hear for yourself, you may be looking for this sound, a lot of people do like them.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #5,153 of 6,729
Has anyone tried TTVJ Flat Pads on the 325e?  Wondering if is worth the $35 investment.

one million percent yes. i actually think they are most noticeable and necessary on the 325 because of the metal chambers. the flats really tame the highs and fill in the low end the way its supposed to be. whoever said grado lacks bass has never heard a 325 with flats. they turn midrange and vocals into magic. i have a lot of grados and only use flats. i prefer the 325 with flats to rs1 with anything. using flats improves the sound more than any dac, amplifier, or even model within the grado line.

you have to give yourself a week to adjust. forget about the slight "soundstage decrease" because grado isnt about soundstage. its about giving you an eargasm with a lush and full midrange that sounds so real it almost scares you. i can almost guarantee you wont ever go back

cheers

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5,154 of 6,729
one million percent yes. i actually think they are most noticeable and necessary on the 325 because of the metal chambers. the flats really tame the highs and fill in the low end the way its supposed to be. whoever said grado lacks bass has never heard a 325 with flats. they turn midrange and vocals into magic. i have a lot of grados and only use flats. i prefer the 325 with flats to rs1 with anything. using flats improves the sound more than any dac, amplifier, or even model within the grado line.

you have to give yourself a week to adjust. forget about the slight "soundstage decrease" because grado isnt about soundstage. its about giving you an eargasm with a lush and full midrange that sounds so real it almost scares you. i can almost guarantee you wont ever go back

cheers

Ordered :)  Thanks!

Not too worried about the soundstage...as you mentioned, Grado's aren't really meant for the soundstage.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5,157 of 6,729
I've purchased the following:

SR60e

SR80e

eGrado

I've sold the 60e's, am returning the eGrado's, and am likely selling the 80e's. 

I just don't get along with any of the grado's as every day headphones. The 80e's were the "best," but only for certain sources. Namely, older recordings which lack a lot of treble. Otherwise, the added upper midrange and treble emphasis were just totally too much. 

I've been spending and spending, and still can't find anything better than Koss KSC75 with parts express headband mod. The bass is already very tight and well defined and the mod makes the bass stand out just a touch more, and mellows out the top end, resulting in excellent bass and excellent top end without any shrillness or harshness.

Soundstage is just fine, too. 

I'm using the parts express headband with the sportapro and portapro drivers, but this headband pairs best with the KSC75 drivers which have a bit of treble emphasis.

I highly recommend the KSC75 + PE headband for those of you who want a bit more detail and treble than average, but not so much that it becomes grating or harsh. Total cost is less than $25. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #5,158 of 6,729
  I've purchased the following:

SR60e

SR80e

eGrado

I've sold the 60e's, am returning the eGrado's, and am likely selling the 80e's. 

I just don't get along with any of the grado's as every day headphones. The 80e's were the "best," but only for certain sources. Namely, older recordings which lack a lot of treble. Otherwise, the added upper midrange and treble emphasis were just totally too much. 

I've been spending and spending, and still can't find anything better than Koss KSC75 with parts express headband mod. The bass is already very tight and well defined and the mod makes the bass stand out just a touch more, and mellows out the top end, resulting in excellent bass and excellent top end without any shrillness or harshness.

Soundstage is just fine, too. 

I'm using the parts express headband with the sportapro and portapro drivers, but this headband pairs best with the KSC75 drivers which have a bit of treble emphasis.

I highly recommend the KSC75 + PE headband for those of you who want a bit more detail and treble than average, but not so much that it becomes grating or harsh. Total cost is less than $25. 

I would suggest that you try the TTVJ flats before selling your SR80e, but if you find them a bit shrill with the stock earpads, I seriously doubt that the flats would tone down the high mids and the treble  enough for you.

One thing's for shure, if you ask a fair price for them, they should sell very quickly.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #5,160 of 6,729
I listened to the 80e's before and after 80+ hours of burn in. No difference. 

The 80e's have their place as a niche headphone for certain sources which lack treble, but as an every day, all 'round listener, the modded KSC75's are my choice. 

I've compared the KSC75's to portapro's, sportapro's, senn px100, 60e, 80e, egrado and igrado. Among others. 

At under $25 modded, I have little incentive to buy headphones which cost hundreds of dollars to get some minor, theoretical improvement in SQ. 

Egrado's are a good choice, as are 80e's. I can see why people like them. In the world of hi fi, neither are especially expensive, either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back