Grado e Series
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #4,636 of 6,729
Agreed...that's why they've been my top Grado for the past few years until the RS2e just edged them out by a hair. 

I'm actually going to send off my 500s to get woodied-up 

Anxious to hear how that works out given their current metal with wood liner cup construction. While you are waiting to get them back and report the results see if you can get to audition the e version. I had the PS500 from when Grado first introduced it and it was one of my favorite listens. I now have the PS500e which took about 100 play hours to fully break in and John Grado has definitely made a good thing better. It now reaches further up from it's price point than before. More refined midrange and high frequency and better detail in the bass, very impressive in my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #4,637 of 6,729
Anxious to hear how that works out given their current metal with wood liner cup construction. While you are waiting to get them back and report the results see if you can get to audition the e version. I had the PS500 from when Grado first introduced it and it was one of my favorite listens. I now have the PS500e which took about 100 play hours to fully break in and John Grado has definitely made a good thing better. It now reaches further up from it's price point then before. More refined midrange and high frequency and better detail in the bass, very impressive in my opinion.

rolleyes.gif

Very interesting...I'm eager to give the a listen for sure. My local Grado guy usually will let me demo whatever I want, so I'll have to ring him up. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,639 of 6,729
  Agreed...that's why they've been my top Grado for the past few years until the RS2e just edged them out by a hair. 

Sounds interesting. Let us know how the woodies sound after you get them modded. 500 already has a wood-trimmed ear cup underneath, but it will be interesting to see (hear) how a full wood body cup sounds. Maybe deeper resonances for cellos, violins, baritones?
cheers,

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #4,640 of 6,729
OK, my Grado madness is growing, watch out KayandJohn/Jay, etc....:stuck_out_tongue:. Just picked up Onteil's PS1000 that I absolutely loved at the Nashville Meet, thanks Fred!!!! Cannot wait to hook them up to the Lyr 2 and Meier!!!!!

Focker, looking forward to hearing about your Wooded 500s!

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,641 of 6,729

Hi Focker, when you agreed with CanadianMaestro, do you also agree to the statement that rs2e is also less fatiguing than the ps500?
Or is it just based on the sound?

Now if only somebody take the he-400i off my hand, I would (probably) get rs2e quicker than the speed of sound :D

And yeah, maybe you ought to try the ps500e, i'm interested to hear how much of a difference the 500e makes from the ear of a ps500 owner.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #4,642 of 6,729
OK, my Grado madness is growing, watch out KayandJohn/Jay, etc....:stuck_out_tongue:. Just picked up Onteil's PS1000 that I absolutely loved at the Nashville Meet, thanks Fred!!!! Cannot wait to hook them up to the Lyr 2 and Meier!!!!!

guess where oteil got those from kev ??

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,643 of 6,729
i'm pretty happy with the new headband 

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #4,644 of 6,729
  Thank you, GreenBow, for that thoughtful post. ........... Oh well, we'll see...

Not a problem. Thanks for the appreciative reply. It just struck me you have one last vague option to get your RS1i(e) right. You could write to Grado. Maybe fully explain you realise that you have been sold an e-pair as an i-pair. (I still think you might have a case to return them to the retailer if you're quick.)

Maybe just explain that you realise what's happened, and ask if they would convert your RS1i/e into RS1i headphones. (I wish you luck but I don't hold much hope. I think it would be cruel if they didn't.)

A link in this thread shows it's commonly understood that e-drivers were shipped as i-drivers. This is the thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/754371/grado-sri-red-drivers-are-they-sre-drivers/15#post_11488557

There's a link in post 27 that explains that Grado shipped e-versions during the last three months of shipping I-versions. It was to prevent any trouble in the change over, they say. Here's the link. http://headfonics.com/2014/06/grado-goes-e-an-interview-with-jonathan-grado/2/

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #4,645 of 6,729

Nice pickup!!! I can't believe I still haven't heard those chrome beauties!

Hi Focker, when you agreed with CanadianMaestro, do you also agree to the statement that rs2e is also less fatiguing than the ps500?
Or is it just based on the sound?

Now if only somebody take the he-400i off my hand, I would (probably) get rs2e quicker than the speed of sound :D

And yeah, maybe you ought to try the ps500e, i'm interested to hear how much of a difference the 500e makes from the ear of a ps500 owner.

Well, I never really found the 500s fatiguing to my ears, so I can't really agree or disagree on that aspect of it. I'd just say the RS2e exhibits slightly better balance across the entire frequency range. It may not measure that way (I haven't seen the graphs on the "e" version yet) but that's certainly how it sounds to my ears. And that's the main reason why I give them a slight edge over the 500s. 

I still consider the 500s one of my favorite Grados, though, so I dont want to give the impression that I've soured on them. I will continue to use them in my rotation for sure. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #4,646 of 6,729
Can't wait to try SR325e after what I'm reading around here!
Then an SR225e to recable and serve as my portable Grado.  Damn you, head-fi!
Well, at least there's no rush.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #4,647 of 6,729
  Can't wait to try SR325e after what I'm reading around here!
Then an SR225e to recable and serve as my portable Grado.  Damn you, head-fi!
Well, at least there's no rush.

I have ZERO buyers remorse after buying my SR325e.  I think you will like what you hear!!

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #4,648 of 6,729
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #4,649 of 6,729

I'm a bit confused, (it's the meds), did you do a side by side comparison between the PS500, and the PS500e?.

Oh!, and, (meds again), did I read that you're having your PS500 woodied?

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #4,650 of 6,729

I haven’t heard the 1i - but Nerrel’s post #4395 looks like a good comparison...

I'm glad those RS2e/RS1i impressions turned out to be useful.

I should update by saying that I kept the RS2e.  They are slightly better than the RS1i.  There are two unfortunate sacrifices- the more limited soundstage width and the more limited frequency extension.  The extension isn't that big a deal, but the soundstaging is tough to give up since that's one of the most critical upgrades you get as you get into the higher models. 

But the RS2e makes up for it by simply having a better sound.  It's fuller, clearer, more realistic, and has more presence and life.  The sound signature is the most important thing, everything else comes second.  In a lot of ways, the RS1e was better than the RS1i- it had better soundstaging, separation, less grain, and tighter bass- but none of it mattered because the general sound was simply bad on its face.  The RS2e is the polar opposite in that regard.  It's got the best sound signature I've ever heard from a Grado, even if it's not the most technically proficient model.  They're a total joy to listen to.

While I was comparing them, I found a few tracks that stood out for each model.

The RS1i had the clearest advantage with Autechre's os veix3.  There's an ambient synth that hangs in the background the entire track, and the airiness of the RS1i suited it really well.  The RS2e's tighter, smaller sound left the synth lower in the mix and really killed the open, ethereal quality that the RS1i had delivered.  This is the only track I found where the RS2e was at a decisive disadvantage, but it still sounded good.

The RS2e sounded particularly great with Grizzly Bear's Half Gate.  Vocal harmonies emerge from the mix like holograms with these headphones, and the low descending backup vocals at the end are strikingly clear considering how much is going on in the mix.  I never even heard this vocal part with the RS1i; it was buried and muddled.  I wish I could find a studio clip to post, but the label has that **** locked down.  On the album, the part I mentioned starts here.

Another real strength of the RS2e is the realism of recorded sounds.  The rain at the end of The Smith's Well I Wonder sounds so convincing that I feel like I'm actually sitting in it with drops landing all around.  On the RS1i, it just sounded like a flat recording of rain, pushed back in the mix.  I imagine binaural recordings would be a landslide victory for the RS2e. 

Again, I don't think it's worth it for RS1i owners to go out and upgrade to the RS2e, but for those who don't have either model, the RS2e is the way to go.  I imagine the RS1i may become very expensive and desired over the next few years, so that makes it even easier.  I'm going to try to hold onto them as long as I can before selling... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back