Grado e Series
Jan 22, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,166 of 6,729

Sorry to hear this, but this seems to be everyones impressions.
Hopefully with burn-in they sound right for you.

Quote:

Grado will have to revise the RS1e ASAP if they don't want too lose too much sales. 

In fact, I think that they should do a recall of all the RS1e on the market. 

+1
Being this is the consensus around H-F Grado should recall all of the RS1e models…unfortunately!

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,167 of 6,729
^I thought the RS1e used the same L Pads that the PS500e comes with, am I wrong?

Assassian, Whirlwind you were right about the L's softening with use and a wash in mild dish soap. The L's are definitely better with rock and closely miked jazz, where soundstage isn't important, I am still wowed by these headphones. Called Todd yesterday and told him they had found a home, highly recommend TTVJ!

Still prefer the G-Pads with classical and music where soundstage is important.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,168 of 6,729
^I thought the RS1e used the same L Pads that the PS500e comes with, am I wrong?

Assassian, Whirlwind you were right about the L's softening with use and a wash in mild dish soap. The L's are definitely better with rock and closely miked jazz, where soundstage isn't important, I am still wowed by these headphones. Called Todd yesterday and told him they had found a home, highly recommend TTVJ!

Still prefer the G-Pads with classical and music where soundstage is important.

Same pads yes.  The driver on the RS1e protrudes from the housing, making it closer to the ear.  

You are saying that you are happy with your ps500e or a rs1e?

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,169 of 6,729
Same pads yes.  The driver on the RS1e protrudes from the housing, making it closer to the ear.  

You are saying that you are happy with your ps500e or a rs1e?

Sorry, PS500e's, I have "Dumbo" Ears, so touching the drivers isn't a problem with the L's, with the G'a they do. The foam grill grill covers make the G-Pads more comfortable.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,170 of 6,729
I am sorry but the rs1e is a dud.
Grado please do the right thing here if you are reading...

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,172 of 6,729
  Sorry to hear this, but this seems to be everyones impressions.
Hopefully with burn-in they sound right for you.
+1
Being this is the consensus around H-F Grado should recall all of the RS1e models…unfortunately!

I may be one of the few people on head fi who actually likes the RS1e and feel it is an improvement over the RS1i. I find it curious that a lot of people are commenting n hearsay and have not spent a reasonable amount of time with the RS1e. I found the sound did open up after about 50hrs and the have a very addictive smooth warm sound, kind of like a more upfront HD650 without the HD650's bass slam. I have owned both the MS pro and RS1i in the past along with most of the Grado lineup and have currently got the PS500e as well and have the hardest time choosing which one to keep. I listened to the RS1e exclusively for 6 weeks and find its signature is pretty addictive after you bond with it. Give them a chance before you condemn them. That being said the pads on my pair were a lot deeper than the ones on the demo pair at my retailer so I was pleasantly surprised with the added depth to the sound from the demo pair. Vocals sound beautiful on these. I have mine up for sale ATM in the forums only because I have too many high end phones ATM but my mind moves from PS500e to RS1e constantly in deciding which one to keep and which to sell - I like them both and may still keep both! Grado knew what they were doing with the RS1e giving it a digital agreeable signature that shows no sibilance at all even on on poor tracks and thus they are not as pristine and revealing as the PS500e but have a warmth and smoothness that is just intoxicating sometimes. I personally think it was high time there was a difference between signatures in Grado as they have all sounded like variations of a theme for so long - now you have a choice and can choose the right horse for the course. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3,173 of 6,729
   Give them a chance before you condemn them. 

I'm not condemning them, I've never heard them, I'm just reading the impressions of others about them. I also know there are some who do like the change in the sound of the RS1e…glad your one of them and are enjoying them. 
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3,174 of 6,729
Does anyone know how many opened vent holes the RS1i has?

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #3,175 of 6,729

I may be one of the few people on head fi who actually likes the RS1e and feel it is an improvement over the RS1i. I find it curious that a lot of people are commenting n hearsay and have not spent a reasonable amount of time with the RS1e. I found the sound did open up after about 50hrs and the have a very addictive smooth warm sound, kind of like a more upfront HD650 without the HD650's bass slam. I have owned both the MS pro and RS1i in the past along with most of the Grado lineup and have currently got the PS500e as well and have the hardest time choosing which one to keep. I listened to the RS1e exclusively for 6 weeks and find its signature is pretty addictive after you bond with it. Give them a chance before you condemn them. That being said the pads on my pair were a lot deeper than the ones on the demo pair at my retailer so I was pleasantly surprised with the added depth to the sound from the demo pair. Vocals sound beautiful on these. I have mine up for sale ATM in the forums only because I have too many high end phones ATM but my mind moves from PS500e to RS1e constantly in deciding which one to keep and which to sell - I like them both and may still keep both! Grado knew what they were doing with the RS1e giving it a digital agreeable signature that shows no sibilance at all even on on poor tracks and thus they are not as pristine and revealing as the PS500e but have a warmth and smoothness that is just intoxicating sometimes. I personally think it was high time there was a difference between signatures in Grado as they have all sounded like variations of a theme for so long - now you have a choice and can choose the right horse for the course. 

I think within the Grado RS1e, there are some variants.  It always happens.  Few sound brighter or few sound warmer.  And even in the pads, few are deeper and some are shallower.  Just have to get lucky maybe. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,177 of 6,729

What the Heck...
Different sized earpads???
Are you sure?

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #3,179 of 6,729
If so right now the chance that a headfier gets a bad pair of rs1e is too high! I'm on board the hate train, too! The rs1i is way too congested for my liking

RS1i  congested   
blink.gif

Not the pair that I owned 
wink_face.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,180 of 6,729
5 or more down to two is a big change. I should start a poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back