Grado e Series
Dec 8, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,656 of 6,729
If you lived in the CONUS you wouldn't be saying this…also Grado is a Brooklyn, N.Y based family owned business and keeps the profits here where they are made, and is great for our economy.
BTW, you can buy cushions from China if you would prefer on eBay. :smile:

Very +1 on this.

What's happening to the USA on companies outsourcing to China is really self-destructive. I like simple, so let me offer this elementary computation:

GreedyCo sees a $10 labor cost on its FS (Financial Statements). Learns that in China it would just be $2. So GreedyCo. outsourced to China and saves $8 on paper.

But in the process, it totally obliterates $8 from the USA's FS. After 4 years, USA, needing money, borrows $8 from China, which it can now loan because of the $2 per year income from GreedyCo ($2 x 4 years = $8). Ain't that funny? Why would a government allow that to happen? One more thing...GreedyCo itself created new competitors because its intellectual properties ain't being kept down low for sure.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #2,657 of 6,729
^ Soooo true. Most governments and businesses are thinking short term and greedy, but China is thinking to the future, and we will all be slaves to them eventually, unless the USA invades and takes over China before they become a true super power, and knowing America they will do it with style and class when the right time comes 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #2,658 of 6,729
^ Soooo true. Most governments and businesses are thinking short term and greedy, but China is thinking to the future, and we will all be slaves to them eventually, unless the USA invades and takes over China before they become a true super power, and knowing America they will do it with style and class when the right time comes :D  

Short term thinking is mainly due to companies run by people whose main concern is keeping the company stocks' listed prices as high as possible. Thinking long term means low productivity and thus low stock prices in the interim.

This is why Grado was able to maintain its foot in the USA. This type of companies should be rewarded. But no, USA allows more incentives (lower effective taxes) to companies using foreign companies as parents/sisters/branches/tax haven parking area.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #2,659 of 6,729
So I`m looking into either the sr325e or rs2e, what can I expect?, is the rs2e worth the $150-200 price difference (and personally I like the metal design of the 325`s more but I`m sure the wood will look stunning in person), are the headphones big?, I cant really judge in the pictures, also is bass really that bad?, I can`t tell from impressions whether its neutral, anemic or slightly elevated, for example I like se535 levels of bass, which I consider neutral, but I would appreciate more sub bass, Is there good sub-bass extension on these headphones?, sorry for the flurry of questions, just want to make sure these are the ones as they look amazing! (and cost $350-500, more in Aus
mad.gif
), thanks. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #2,660 of 6,729
  Since you are the only ones with these new pads; while all other PS1000e owners had the standard ones (including myself with 2 pair), I think that pair of earpads was more of an anomaly than a new design. 
redface.gif
  BTW, hope you're feeling better!

I am feling better, thanks for asking.

Now, I don't have the PS1000e, I have returned them after 3 days. I don't know if you've seen some of the pictrues, that have been posted, comparing the old and the new pads, but the difference is obvious to say the least.

I invite you to reread my post, because I especially asked Head-Fi members, who have higher end Grados, to post their serial numbers, to help us figure this mess out.

People here aren't imagining things here, this is Grado were talking about here, don't forget that
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,661 of 6,729

I am feling better, thanks for asking.

Now, I don't have the PS1000e, I have returned them after 3 days. I don't know if you've seen some of the pictrues, that have been posted, comparing the old and the new pads, but the difference is obvious to say the least.

I invite you to reread my post, because I especially asked Head-Fi members, who have higher end Grados, to post their serial numbers, to help us figure this mess out.

People here aren't imagining things here, this is Grado were talking about here, don't forget that
wink.gif

Glad you're doing better!

I'm certainly not doubting your earpads were different...I'm sure they were. Just that they are the only reported ones and as such stand out as an anomaly instead of a "new" design as no one else has reported a difference. But time will tell I suppose.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #2,662 of 6,729
  Glad you're doing better!

I'm certainly not doubting your earpads were different...I'm sure they were. Just that they are the only reported ones and as such stand out as an anomaly instead of a "new" design as no one else has reported a difference. But time will tell I suppose.

good point, and doesn't it seem that the "different" pads were earlier units ?

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,663 of 6,729
Someone with more experience than I said something the other day that may explain my headphone confusion.  I would like some confirmation, please respond if you can substantiate or refute my realization.

I had the opportunity to listen to most of the Grado "e" line a week ago.  The GS1K was the best to my ears, but still not what I was expecting or looking for.  The comment by a fellow head-fier that got me was something like..." 'xyz brand' is more speaker-like... "  I have listened to HD800, HD700, PS500i, GS1000e, RS-1i, RS2e, LCD-2.  None of them gave me that $10,000 home stereo experience.

Detail galore in some, soundstage in others, fantastic extended bass. How can people go on and on about all these top end cans and I am left wanting more?   Is it that I am expecting headphones to sound like speakers, when in reality, a headphone sound is unique to itself?

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,664 of 6,729
  Someone with more experience than I said something the other day that may explain my headphone confusion.  I would like some confirmation, please respond if you can substantiate or refute my realization.

I had the opportunity to listen to most of the Grado "e" line a week ago.  The GS1K was the best to my ears, but still not what I was expecting or looking for.  The comment by a fellow head-fier that got me was something like..." 'xyz brand' is more speaker-like... "  I have listened to HD800, HD700, PS500i, GS1000e, RS-1i, RS2e, LCD-2.  None of them gave me that $10,000 home stereo experience.

Detail galore in some, soundstage in others, fantastic extended bass. How can people go on and on about all these top end cans and I am left wanting more?   Is it that I am expecting headphones to sound like speakers, when in reality, a headphone sound is unique to itself?

What do you feel your missing from the Hp's you've tried above???

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #2,665 of 6,729

What do you feel your missing from the Hp's you've tried above???

It's really hard to describe.  I guess I liked the PS-500i I listened too ( I liked the price too! ).  I heard things in the music that I have never heard before - that's one of my goals.  The other goal is to pick up the lower octave that I have missed in my home 2-channel system. I was hoping the GS1K would be better all around.  I didn't find it to be so.

I have to go listen to the Audeze LCD-2's again.  Planar may be the ticket.     I really don't want to spend that much, but I may have to.  My current iBasso portable amp will be able to drive the X/XC better than they do the 2's until I can afford to buy some Schiit, but my local store will not let me listen to the LCD-X (or the XC)!?! 
angry_face.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #2,666 of 6,729
  It's really hard to describe.  I guess I liked the PS-500i I listened too ( I liked the price too! ).  I heard things in the music that I have never heard before - that's one of my goals.  The other goal is to pick up the lower octave that I have missed in my home 2-channel system. I was hoping the GS1K would be better all around.  I didn't find it to be so.

I have to go listen to the Audeze LCD-2's again.  Planar may be the ticket.     I really don't want to spend that much, but I may have to.  My current iBasso portable amp will be able to drive the X/XC better than they do the 2's until I can afford to buy some Schiit, but my local store will not let me listen to the LCD-X (or the XC)!?! 
angry_face.gif

Have you listened to the PS1K or the (e) series?
I've listened to the GS1Ki and the PS1K (which I own) has a much fuller sound and more forward mid-range than the GS1Ki.
I'm receiving the GS1Ke's today to hear how they have changed from the (i), because I did like them but the mid-range was too recessed for my taste with the GSi.
And what do you mean your local dealer won't let you hear the LCD-X/XC?
Is it because they don't have demo's to listen to?
BTW, no (i) in for the PS-500. 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,667 of 6,729
  Have you listened to the PS1K or the (e) series?
I've listened to the GS1Ki and the PS1K (which I own) has a much fuller sound and more forward mid-range than the GS1Ki.
I'm receiving the GS1Ke's today to hear how they have changed from the (i), because I did like them but the mid-range was too recessed for my taste with the GSi.
And what do you mean your local dealer won't let you hear the LCD-X/XC?
Is it because they don't have demo's to listen to?
BTW, no (i) in for the PS-500. 
smile.gif

I have not listened to the PS1K,  only the GS1K and it was though a CD player that only had some lame solo vocal performance loaded.  I am going back this weekend with the adapter I need to listen right out of my own portable equipment.  IF I have to spend $1700 I would more likely buy the LCD-XC. but I would have some explaining to do if that showed up on the credit card bill - if you know what I mean.  I still have two kids in college! But that said, if none of the Grados do it for me then at least I know that the LCD's are really the only other option.

The dealer has the LCD-X and the LCD-3 but I have to BUY them to listen to them.  Another dealer has the LCD-2 but terminated with a balanced connector (he is two hours away).

I can get the GS-1000e for $800.  I was hoping with some sonic compromises I could make a more economically prudent buying decision.  But I am not willing to compromise that much.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,669 of 6,729
  Why would the price matter?
You haven't heard either, so why say you would likely buy the LCD-XC?
I think it would matter on your preference in sound rather than the price, no?

I am making an assumption based upon the forum posts and multiple reviews I have read.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,670 of 6,729
  I am making an assumption based upon the forum posts and multiple reviews I have read.

I see, yes unfortunately when we can't listen to HP thats all we can do to see if it will suite our taste…but it is hard to go by others opinions/impressions sometimes. I've been doing the same thing for a long time now probably like most of us have, and have even tried the same HP's more than once after purchasing different upstream equipment to hear how they sound. A lot of people really rave about the LCD's, which I've never tried, but I'm sure I will one day.
Good luck with your decision and keep us posted on your impression. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back