Grado e Series
Nov 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #2,446 of 6,729
My RS1i is extremely comfortable. In fact I'm wondering what the fuss is about Grado comfort. I'm thinking the discomfort would be an issue of you have the kind of ears that's on the smaller side and your auricle is somewhat more protruded and quite hard. I just lay the foam (L-Cushion) flat on the outer ear (auricle) and earlobe and they're very comfortable. More comfort is as simple as getting the S-Cushions and G-Cushions, which would affect the sound of course.

P.S.: I have ears on the larger side though.
P.S.: Just to be clear...I'm not an elve...
biggrin.gif

Well, I seem to have a pair of 'redeye' RS1s, on the cusp of RS1i and RS1e. Now here's the thing. I took the pads they came with (L-cush) and tried them on my SR-60i - which I then lost! For the RS1i/e I had already got the G-cush in an attempt to find more comfort and more soundstage. Well, I quite liked the sound but the cans felt rather loose on my head and there was a hole in the middle of the soundstage, so, still unable to find the SR-60i, I tried on the discarded 'comfies'. The result is quite good and is where I am at the moment. I would like to know where the SR-60is are, though...

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #2,447 of 6,729
  Well, I seem to have a pair of 'redeye' RS1s, on the cusp of RS1i and RS1e. Now here's the thing. I took the pads they came with (L-cush) and tried them on my SR-60i - which I then lost! For the RS1i/e I had already got the G-cush in an attempt to find more comfort and more soundstage. Well, I quite liked the sound but the cans felt rather loose on my head and there was a hole in the middle of the soundstage, so, still unable to find the SR-60i, I tried on the discarded 'comfies'. The result is quite good and is where I am at the moment. I would like to know where the SR-60is are, though...

Mate..
What are you using as buttons?
It kinda destroys the beauty of these headphones....
eek.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #2,448 of 6,729
Mate..
It kinda destroys the beauty of these headphones....:eek:
Excellent question, looks like cork to me.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #2,449 of 6,729
  Mate..
It kinda destroys the beauty of these headphones....
eek.gif

Excellent question, looks like cork to me.

Correct. It's cork. Vin ordinaire. If I ever source some solid hard wood buttons, I'll try them out, but the cork does seem to improve the sound IMHO. However, I noticed an improvement when I was using the G-cush. I haven't tried the phones without with the comfies or the L-Cush (currently missing in action).

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2,451 of 6,729
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,452 of 6,729
I did this exact comparison a few days back at my local Grado dealer. I own the PS500e and wanted to hear the RS1e so I A/B'd them for a time out of a RA1 headphone amp. I agree with the view that in an A/B situation the RS1e come off a little underwhelming vs the PS500e as far as sharpness and clarity are concerned but this is actually a deception as the RS1e is just as detailed but smoother with beautiful lifelike mids. I didn't realize this till I stopped A/Bing and then listened to the RS1e solely for about 20mins, becoming seduced by its smooth signature. I certainly think they are both winners and it is almost justifiable to own both (fighting myself over that ATM:)). They are both enviable headphones in their own right - I think the reviewers assumption that the PS500e is the better value at $100 less is valid and I also feel they are the more initially impressive phones - that's why I bought them a few months ago after listening to the whole range. But the RS1e is a grower IMO.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,453 of 6,729
Got my pair of 325e's today and liking what I hear! 

The only Grado's I've not had at one point or another are the 125, RS2, and PS1000. That being said the 325e is, to these ears, quite comparable to the RS1i. I used to prefer the RS1i to the 325i as it's mids were just better! The e version of the 325 seems to have a little more mid presence and a smoother, more detailed upper end. I had the 325i's three times (just couldn't get away) and the new e version may be doing the same. If anyone else out there has a pair, I highly recommend slapping some Ear Zonk G cush pads on there. Opens the soundstage and balances the signature even further.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #2,455 of 6,729
  Are the 325e's harsh when you turn the volume up? 

Not in a way that suggests that it's the headphone's doing. Poor source material or high gain produce some harshness. It also bears mentioning that I'm listening out of the Pan Am which may be smoothing the upper end just a touch thanks to the Mullards.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,456 of 6,729
I have been using ps1000e for couple of days. My ears keep touching the sounding units which really irritate me. At one time I almost throw this headphone out. Luckily the window is locked.

I have tried ps1000i before and there is no such condition. After searching online, I see the units are little bit closer to my ears in e series.

AND, BE AWARE, THERE IS A NEW PLASTIC HARD RING AROUND THE SOUNDING UNIT AND KEEPS TOUCHING MY EARS.

SEE THIS PICTURE TAKEN BY MYSELF http://puu.sh/cWmS6/e13fdc0bb5.jpg

Then I wrote to Grado costumer service in a polite manner to ask any possible solutions. After explaining my confusions with new units problem, you will never guess how they respond.

They said (in blue)
"
there is NO difference in the physical dimensions of the "I" or the "e' versions.

please try adjusting the headband for your head

let us know is you have any questions"

Look, that's funny. Maybe they don't know the issue.

Then I SEND them the pictures to show differences between PS1000 and PS1000e. There is obviously a new plastic ring around units in e model and higher units.

Now they respond quickly:
"
There is NO Measurable Difference in the physical dimensions

it only appears that way

"
I am finally angry. it only appears that way! Gesus, you feel uncomfortable and yes, your evidence looks true. But they just APPEAR THAT WAY. It is really Grado way to give feedback. Costumers complain with evidences and they simply say 'No, we are right, the problem is on YOU'.

Though, I am still politely reply another evidence, trying to convince them the problem exists.

I sent a link of headfi 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/520884/ps1000-impressions-thread/1200#post_11054930
which says another user find difference of the G-cushion might determine the model difference. 

GUESS what Grado would respond, 

it is SOOOO EASY TO GUESS:

"the "G" cushions have NOT changed"

OK PAPA Grado. You are always right. Though I am pretty sure it has something to do with the knowledge of costumer service. He might never use these headphones.

Well, at least he promised to tell Mr. Grado about the absurd differences I found. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #2,457 of 6,729
So guys, would you really not recommend the Grado SR80e for listening outside on a quiet road ?   I'm in Jazz, and hesitating between this one, the Shure SRH440, the Sony MDR-V6, the Koss PortaPro...  can't make my mind at all !

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,458 of 6,729
So guys, would you really not recommend the Grado SR80e for listening outside on a quiet road ?   I'm in Jazz, and hesitating between this one, the Shure SRH440, the Sony MDR-V6, the Koss PortaPro...  can't make my mind at all !
I actually would recommend it outside. Being open backed and therefore you can hear outside noise, it sounds very natural...like there are speakers around you playing outside. Of course, critical listening is not optimal. But with Grado you don't have to worry about not hearing what you should hear from the outside, like the horn of a vehicle about to run you over...:D

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,459 of 6,729
I am starting to think the e series has not gone done well with the community as Grado would have expected.

Personally, I saw no reason to change the already very good to excellent "i" series.
How long before the next series and what letter will it be called?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back