Grado e Series
Oct 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,221 of 6,729
  thank you all! My budget would be less than 200$ so the M/M looks nice, i also want to state that i literrally know nothing about tubes, so tube rolling wouldn´t be my thing. Also checking the geekout, but i need more info before choosing

I also would like to ask, Whats better? G, S or L cushions? sound quality is my priority but man a little comfort would be nice

It depends on what sounds best too you.
In my case I prefer the (L) cushions which are stock on the 325's. Some prefer others, so check out what sounds best too you. 
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,223 of 6,729
Have recently listened to Grado GS1000e off from iphone. This grado as compare to previous gs1000i has better resolution, sounds bit leaner, has great detail  and has one of the most realistic and organic vocal I heard of any headphone. The midrange vocal is eerily real and analogue that make you forget that you are listening to digital source. I never expect that gs1000e is  that good but it really exceed my expectation , and it does make ps1000 sounds digital in comparison, at least to my ears. For those looking for headphone that sounds truly analogue, do audition this headphone.  The box it comes still labelled gs1000i, and you can see the cup encaved with gs1000 with no e. Look closely, and you can see the red driver. Wood material is very light in colour, and not dark.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,224 of 6,729
  Have recently listened to Grado GS1000e off from iphone. This grado as compare to previous gs1000i has better resolution, sounds bit leaner, has great detail  and has one of the most realistic and organic vocal I heard of any headphone. The midrange vocal is eerily real and analogue that make you forget that you are listening to digital source. I never expect that gs1000e is  that good but it really exceed my expectation , and it does make ps1000 sounds digital in comparison, at least to my ears. For those looking for headphone that sounds truly analogue, do audition this headphone.  The box it comes still labelled gs1000i, and you can see the cup encaved with gs1000 with no e. Look closely, and you can see the red driver. Wood material is very light in colour, and not dark.

Niiiiice!

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,225 of 6,729
Nov 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #2,226 of 6,729
For any guitar players out there,

I was wondering how well suited anything from the 325e downwards would do for practicing electric guitar when amp volume becomes an issue.  Most of my general listening falls within the genres that grado apparently excels  at. 

I'd be running my guitar into and and out of an Apogee ONE, at this point using probably using garageband/mainstage. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2,227 of 6,729
Just a heads up for those looking to get into the E series, Todd The Vinyl Junkie currently has four different pairs of Grado's that were used in the loaner program here recently now up for sale at TTVJ for 20% off! - as of a few minutes back they still have one pair of each of the following - SR225e,PS500e,RS1e and GS1000e.

- http://www.ttvjaudio.com/category_s/1886.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=1886&show=10&page=1

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,229 of 6,729

I too experience very realistic vocal tonality with my GS1000e.  I like your reference to sounding organic-analogue-like, well put. Come to think of it, original records with most recording from the 60's, 70's & 80's sound much better on a good turntable than the digital counterpart.  It's reassuring to hear your like experience. Wait until you hear the GS1Ke with a high end amp/dac.  
popcorn.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2,230 of 6,729

I was wondering how well suited anything from the 325e downwards would do for practicing electric guitar when amp volume becomes an issue.  Most of my general listening falls within the genres that grado apparently excels  at. 

I'd be running my guitar into and and out of an Apogee ONE, at this point using probably using garageband/mainstage. 

Hey dude, I have sr60i's (though i did fully vent them, remove the white driver screen, removed the grill, removed the plastic ring, applied dynamat xtreme on the inside of the cups and the back of the driver and put l-cush on them) and they are really awesome with guitars whether it being through a full size amp or a vox portable amp.i play with them on all the time. wonderful investment even before i modded them.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,231 of 6,729

As long was you're not down-tuning too much, any of the lower models are fine.

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #2,232 of 6,729

I too experience very realistic vocal tonality with my GS1000e.  I like your reference to sounding organic-analogue-like, well put. Come to think of it, original records with most recording from the 60's, 70's & 80's sound much better on a good turntable than the digital counterpart.  It's reassuring to hear your like experience. Wait until you hear the GS1Ke with a high end amp/dac.  
popcorn.gif

Anyone like to help with the following particulars about the GS1Ke:

1. their weight;
2. does it work well with solid state headphone amp;
3. between GS1Ke and other Mahogany Grados (RS1e, RS2e), which would be the better choice for new jazz or smooth jazz (like those from ECM)

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #2,233 of 6,729

1. their weight;
3. between GS1Ke and other Mahogany Grados (RS1e, RS2e), which would be the better choice for new jazz or smooth jazz (like those from ECM)

1. Don't let the sheer size mislead you because It has to be one of the lightest headphones
bigsmile_face.gif
actually.

2. Because it has a warm and organic sound, SS headamp is definitely a good choice for this headphone.

3. Generally prefer GS1Ke because of its huge soundstage ( laidback vocal) and relax sound . I yet to listen to RS1e but have listened to RS1i, ps500 and they are very closed-in headphones with very forward vocal and smaller soundstage in comparison to their bigger brothers. So it depends whether you prefer concert-hall performance (GS1ke)  or onstage intimate performance (RS1e).

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #2,234 of 6,729

1. their weight;

If you really into jazz, you can try audio technica w1000x as it sounds fabulous with jazz music and female vocal.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #2,235 of 6,729

1. their weight;

I probably listen to Smooth Jazz 80% of the time to relax, and find it incredible with the RS1i's (even the sound-stage).
I am also debating on buying the GS1Ke myself to hear if the mid-range is more forward than the GS1Ki… which I felt the mid-range was much too recessed for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back