Grado e Series
Oct 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #2,056 of 6,729
Hi,
I currently have the sr80e, they are great headphones but when I plug to an Ipod touch in order to get a high quality and detailed sound I must set the volume quite louder. They seem to me, too much closers to my ears and I get fatigated. So do you think the sr60e are much more laid back than the sr80e or just a little more? Do you recommendme an downgrade to this model?

http://www.amazon.com/Murine-Ear-Wax-Removal-System-0-5/dp/B000AMG8SG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412800409&sr=1-1&keywords=murine+ear+wax+removal+system

If that doesn't work I would have my hearing tested.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,057 of 6,729
Hi,
I currently have the sr80e, they are great headphones but when I plug to an Ipod touch in order to get a high quality and detailed sound I must set the volume quite louder. They seem to me, too much closers to my ears and I get fatigated. So do you think the sr60e are much more laid back than the sr80e or just a little more? Do you recommendme an downgrade to this model?

http://www.amazon.com/Murine-Ear-Wax-Removal-System-0-5/dp/B000AMG8SG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412800409&sr=1-1&keywords=murine+ear+wax+removal+system

If that doesn't work I would recommend that you have your hearing tested.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #2,062 of 6,729
Didn't know you had so many hrs on them.
What cushions are you using with them...are you using the stock (S) cushions that came with them?

No, I'm using the L-cushion. When pluged to my computer headphone out i didn't notice this effect. Perhaps setting the volume too louder in order to get a detailed sound in the ipod cause this fatige.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #2,063 of 6,729
@neverdien
What about a standalone DAC? Through a basic/average laptop or so?

A standalone DAC also helps, but not as great at amps do.
I used 2 set-ups: uDac 2/ Little Dot+ & Bifrost/ MAD amp.
The uDac effect was hardly noticeable (when used alone) comparing with signal straight out my Alienware so I used it as a USB-RCA converter to feed the Dot+ and the MAD amp later on.
However, the Bifrost did an excellent job in clarifying the sound (but the effect was not as great as the MAD amp which costed twice as the DAC did 
deadhorse.gif
)
If your budget is tight, an iPod/basic computer would suit almost every Grado just well.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #2,064 of 6,729
been comparing the E series..for those e series with 40mm drivers (for example MS1e/MS2e)...they are very good. I love the clarity and a slightly added bass...maybe a bit more bodied as well. And the treble is still there very crisp, nice and clean without being harsh.

For RS1e and MSPROe which are with 50mm i believe..they are sounding so different from previous Grado's "i" signature. This time is a lot warmer..thicker..and a lot less treble. Perhaps less open too. Not as fun as the previous "i" series which are good for ROCK...this time is better with Slower pace music, the sound is a lot smoother, vocal is lusher...bass is alot better (more solid too), the problem is, also less accurate imo. For example the snare drums, cymbals are not as accurate as before and also less realisticness from what i can tell. What good about it, this MSPRO e and RS1e, bcos of their beefier sounding, when playing DSD file for JAZZ, VOCAL or SAXOPHONE they sound REALLY good...feels like very robust SQ..creates a bigger room-feel inside our head. However thou...if the source is not good enough...they will sound a bit dull/veiled (not a horrible kinda dull/veiled - details are still very good through them). 

One more ting...RS1e/MSPROe are now is a lot better for mainstream music, trance or alike. The bass has a very nice moderate punching to it...not boomy bass, but is proper enough for that kind of genres (compared to previous "i" series.)

For those who likes treble on your RS1i and MSPROi...you should try it 1st before decide to buy the e series. Bcos they ARE really different. It breaks the Grado's traditional "RAW" and OPEN sounding experience.. YMMV from mine thou. This is my personal opinion only.

If you like ROCK music..i suggest to get the e series with 40mm driver instead. I am going to get 325e and ps500e very soon too. And I will share my impression later when they are in the house.

These are my pics:

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #2,065 of 6,729
Hi,

See my posts a few pages back. SR80e is "shouty" with L-Cush pads, so with substantially more detail and louder volume, it will be fatiguing, I guess. I think it's drivers are tuned for S-Cush pads. It's detail extraction is great, which has a byproduct of being "shouty". Use the pads its tuned and designed for. My 2 cents.

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,066 of 6,729
No, I'm using the L-cushion. When pluged to my computer headphone out i didn't notice this effect. Perhaps setting the volume too louder in order to get a detailed sound in the ipod cause this fatige.

Try using the "stock" (S) cushions the 80's came with, they will definitely tame the highs and warm the sound at the cost of a slightly smaller sound-stage/depth/less punchier bass, but try it, you may really enjoy it! Let us know what you think.
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2,068 of 6,729
  been comparing the E series..for those e series with 40mm drivers (for example MS1e/MS2e)...they are very good. I love the clarity and a slightly added bass...maybe a bit more bodied as well. And the treble is still there very crisp, nice and clean without being harsh.

For RS1e and MSPROe which are with 50mm i believe..they are sounding so different from previous Grado's "i" signature. This time is a lot warmer..thicker..and a lot less treble. Perhaps less open too. Not as fun as the previous "i" series which are good for ROCK...this time is better with Slower pace music, the sound is a lot smoother, vocal is lusher...bass is alot better (more solid too), the problem is, also less accurate imo. For example the snare drums, cymbals are not as accurate as before and also less realisticness from what i can tell. What good about it, this MSPRO e and RS1e, bcos of their beefier sounding, when playing DSD file for JAZZ, VOCAL or SAXOPHONE they sound REALLY good...feels like very robust SQ..creates a bigger room-feel inside our head. However thou...if the source is not good enough...they will sound a bit dull/veiled (not a horrible kinda dull/veiled - details are still very good through them). 

One more ting...RS1e/MSPROe are now is a lot better for mainstream music, trance or alike. The bass has a very nice moderate punching to it...not boomy bass, but is proper enough for that kind of genres (compared to previous "i" series.)

For those who likes treble on your RS1i and MSPROi...you should try it 1st before decide to buy the e series. Bcos they ARE really different. It breaks the Grado's traditional "RAW" and OPEN sounding experience.. YMMV from mine thou. This is my personal opinion only.

If you like ROCK music..i suggest to get the e series with 40mm driver instead. I am going to get 325e and ps500e very soon too. And I will share my impression later when they are in the house.

These are my pics:

So in essence they offer more bass but less top end compared to i series?
Excellent comparison. Thanks for this.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,069 of 6,729
So in essence they offer more bass but less top end compared to i series?
Excellent comparison. Thanks for this.

Hi XLR8,
Yes. Exactly. The top end is so much lesser now. 1st time of my listening..i was so shock. I wonder wheres the treble? I felt they cut it too much. And the overall sound they make it a lot THICKER..so is a much more robust sounding compared to the previous RS1i/MSPROi imo. The Grado i series, to me, they are famous with their fun signature..is a (bit) thin sounding..aggresive highs..and all about speed and accuracy. They are fast sounding headfon, but also they don't do good for a certain kind of genres..for example edm genres..and some other songs i also found it a bit too harsh on the treble. But now with the RS1e and MSPROe..they are free from the peaky treble.and after days using it..i started to like it much more...for some ROCK songs the RS1e/MSPROe may loosing some rumble to it. But still listenable for me. And for EDM songs..they are much more nicer now. But i am not a bassy kinda guy. So i listen mostly Jazz/vocal/slower-moderate pace of music...and these 50mm e series..i think they have done a very good job in creating a new enjoyable signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back