Grado e Series
Sep 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,906 of 6,729
Cool, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
  Just take the cups out of the gimbals and using a blow dryer heat the cable and shape it straight (while hanging upside-down) letting the cups return to where they want then leave them hang upsidedown over night, and place them back in the gimbals, and they will be fine. I do this with all my NEW Grados…and I never let the cups turn 360 degrees, and have never had any issues with the cables. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,907 of 6,729
Just listened to some Krall and they did her voice as much justice as I could ever hope for.

I just did what the last person just did. Judged by one singer.

I think the ps500e's for the most part do tremendously well with female vocals.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,908 of 6,729
Just listened to some Krall and they did her voice as much justice as I could ever hope for.

I just did what the last person just did. Judged by one singer.

I think the ps500e's for the most part do tremendously well with female vocals.
I find that Grado's accurately represent female vocals exceptionally well, especially vocalists as good as Miss Krall. Her albums are always produced and recorded wonderfully.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,909 of 6,729
I never heard the PS500e, but I think that because they are bass biased, the PS500 makes women's voices sound a bit too chesty for my taste.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,910 of 6,729
Would you still call the PS500's bass having quality and impactful?  Is it a case of mid-bass running into the mids or something unrelated to bass is causing you not to like them with female vocals?  I like female vocal presentation with the 225e.

Been listening to the SR-225e for the past two weeks on vacation and it is really a nice headphone.  Not bad as a one solution headphone.  I haven't owned a headphone I liked better than the SR-225 in the <$200 class of headphones.  I'm borrowing a friend's PS-500 when I get home in a week.  Is the PS-series a dramatic departure from the SR-series?       

Quote:
  I never heard the PS500e, but I think that because they are bass biased, the PS500 makes women's voices sound a bit too chesty for my taste.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,911 of 6,729
Hello, I'm thinking about ordering the SR60E for home use. I have a few questions. Will they pair well with my iPod Classic 7th Generation and the JDS Labs C5? I also plan to use them with my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro.

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,912 of 6,729
Would you still call the PS500's bass having quality and impactful? Is it a case of mid-bass running into the mids or something unrelated to bass is causing you not to like them with female vocals? I like female vocal presentation with the 225e.

The bass of the original ps500 was mid bass heavy but the new ps500e is probably the most linear grado I have heard - and that's including the ms pro which usually gets the chocolates for being the most neutral grado.

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,913 of 6,729
Hello, I'm thinking about ordering the SR60E for home use. I have a few questions. Will they pair well with my iPod Classic 7th Generation and the JDS Labs C5? I also plan to use them with my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro.

Yep....you are all good  
smile.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,915 of 6,729

Yep....you are all good  
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply. So with the ipod and jds labs c5, how would they sound with sr60e?

They will be good....you don't need to amp them, they will benefit from amping....but they will still sound pretty good right from your ipod.

I have used my SR60i, plugged straight to my sansa clip zip.....no problem.

They are a wonderful headphone for the price.....enjoy  
smile.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,917 of 6,729
The PS1000e are in the house!.

Alright  regarding my comment about the PS500, I have been Lucky enough to hear the whole Grado ''i'' line, from the SR60i to the GS1000i, and the PS500 are the only headphones that makes women voices sound chesty.

Now, these are my first impressions about the PS1000e. The firrst thing that I noticed is that the 15' extension cable is now the same size as the headphone's cable. wich means it's big enough to be used to boost your car.

Second thing I noticed is that they are much less comfortable than my ''old'' PS1000,  The way the new earpads are shaped meant that my ears were touching the drivers. Maybe it's because  I have Grado ears.

I started my comparison with female vocals, Sofia Pettersson's version of Hallelujah, and Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem, on SACD. The new ''e''  have deeper bass, a smaller soundstage, and a little less treble extension. Not surprising considering that they have bigger drivers, that also portrudes, and are therefore, closer to your ears.

Then being the genius that I am , I swapped the pads, and something a. mazing happend, With the old G-cush the ''e'''s drivers weren't touching my ears anymore, so comfort was back. The bass was not as deep and powerful, the soundstage got bigger, and the treble was slightly more extended.

With the new ''e'' pads, the old PS1000  played a little louder, had deeper bass, a very slight treble rolloff, and a bit smaller soundstage.

If I would have to rate what I just wrote in percentage I'd say that, with their respective pads, it would be, 70% vs 30%, and when the pads are swapped, it becomes 55% vs 45%., very close to the 50% mark.

That tells me that, again, the pads play a huge role in the way these two headphones sound. The good news is that you can buy the PS1000e and if they're not comfortable, you can just buy some old G-cush to put some distance between tour ears and the drivers. And if you own the current PS1000, and want to get a different sound from them, you just get some of the new G-cush, and you'll be that much closer to the new ''e'',,'s sound.

I will do some more comparison, with different kinds of music, and report back.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,918 of 6,729

Alright  regarding my comment about the PS500, I have been Lucky enough to hear the whole Grado ''i'' line, from the SR60i to the GS1000i, and the PS500 are the only headphones that makes women voices sound chesty.

Now, these are my first impressions about the PS1000e. The firrst thing that I noticed is that the 15' extension cable is now the same size as the headphone's cable. wich means it's big enough to be used to boost your car.

Second thing I noticed is that they are much less comfortable than my ''old'' PS1000,  The way the new earpads are shaped meant that my ears were touching the drivers. Maybe it's because  I have Grado ears.

I started my comparison with female vocals, Sofia Pettersson's version of Hallelujah, and Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem, on SACD. The new ''e''  have deeper bass, a smaller soundstage, and a little less treble extension. Not surprising considering that they have bigger drivers, that also portrudes, and are therefore, closer to your ears.

Then being the genius that I am , I swapped the pads, and something a. mazing happend, With the old G-cush the ''e'''s drivers weren't touching my ears anymore, so comfort was back. The bass was not as deep and powerful, the soundstage got bigger, and the treble was slightly more extended.

With the new ''e'' pads, the old PS1000  played a little louder, had deeper bass, a very slight treble rolloff, and a bit smaller soundstage.

If I would have to rate what I just wrote in percentage I'd say that, with their respective pads, it would be, 70% vs 30%, and when the pads are swapped, it becomes 55% vs 45%., very close to the 50% mark.

That tells me that, again, the pads play a huge role in the way these two headphones sound. The good news is that you can buy the PS1000e and if they're not comfortable, you can just buy some old G-cush to put some distance between tour ears and the drivers. And if you own the current PS1000, and want to get a different sound from them, you just get some of the new G-cush, and you'll be that much closer to the new ''e'',,'s sound.

popcorn.gif
can't wait !

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,919 of 6,729

The PS1000e are in the house!.

Could you take a picture of the old and new G-cush side by side for comparison?

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,920 of 6,729
I really hate Grado, I lose sleep deciding which one I should buy. Doesn't happen to anything else I buy including headphones. 

Damn you Covert Affairs for showing Grado off. 

I tried the SR60e and loved it so much but not sure whether the SR80e or the SR225e would be best for me. I really enjoy the in-your-face sound, makes it stand out like a sore thumb from everything else I own. 

If I wanted to spend more money I probably would get them both and try but it's a waste of my time and money, unless someone knows where I can get free return/restock on Grado's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back