Grado e Series
Aug 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,501 of 6,729
Just chiming in on the new ps500e. All I have to say is this, if you're on the fence as to whether you should jump in or not - just do it, these are phenomenal! I'm curious as to how the e series driver marries up to the rest of the series but the balance, timbre, speed and overall naturalness of the ps500e is something to behold and IMO probably the best sub$1000 headphone around. They sound more detailed and natural than my HD600s and they have a surprisingly wide soundstage for a grado. I have owned the previous edition of the ps500 before and find these so much more open and flat in response - almost dt880 like but with more of an arresting quality that makes you sit up and listen. All that and they still sound decent out of iPod - what's not to like..

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,503 of 6,729
Just chiming in on the new ps500e. All I have to say is this, if you're on the fence as to whether you should jump in or not - just do it, these are phenomenal! I'm curious as to how the e series driver marries up to the rest of the series but the balance, timbre, speed and overall naturalness of the ps500e is something to behold and IMO probably the best sub$1000 headphone around. They sound more detailed and natural than my HD600s and they have a surprisingly wide soundstage for a grado. I have owned the previous edition of the ps500 before and find these so much more open and flat in response - almost dt880 like but with more of an arresting quality that makes you sit up and listen. All that and they still sound decent out of iPod - what's not to like..

On Monday a buddy of mine is coming over with his new to him PS500, but I don't think it is the new e version. Regardless I will enjoy hearing them. Shame it won't be an e version. Should sound nice from my A18 which has a little roll off on the treble, but just a hair to my ears, still plenty of treble energy.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,504 of 6,729
After spending several hours with the SR-80e it is clearly a high-performing bargain headphone.  I can try to do some mental memory comparisons with my previous woody 225i (with some sort of grill mod too) but I don't think it would be fair because in addition I used the 225i with higher-end equipment.  Based on my memory of iPhone usage, the 225 is bit more refined in regards to layering and imaging.  Bass too was deeper and more impactful but maybe that was due to the wood cups?  I also felt that there could have been more texture/palpability in the midrange.  Notes are more rounded/smoother with the SR-80e and with the SR-225 the notes had a more distinct leading edge.  Again, I am relying on memory :)   

Upon early listening I felt the SR-80e was a slight hair off-tone, vocals and guitar strings didn't sound accurate.  At the same time I wasn't liking the stock ear pads so I swapped them out with fresh Sennheiser HD414 yellow pads.  Much better comfort and maybe it was just a bit of mental or mechanical burn-in but now everything sounds closer to what I expect tonally.  

The SR-80 has all the features of the Grado sound.  There is a distinctness to Grado headphones.  There is little grain and the drivers have no issues keeping up with dynamic music.  Music just flows from these things.  I now know why people think Grados are great with rock and metal.  It's effortless reproduction of those genres.  I had the HD-800 at some point and I like that headphone.  It also has the speed to keep up with the most dynamic of music, but it doesn't have the meat-around-the-bones sound like the Grados.  If you want meat and potatoes then go Grado.  If you want just the potato then go HD800 :)  There's room for both headphones in this world.    

I still have my eye on the prize, the PS500e.  It will have some stiff competition because I am/was an ortho guy at heart, but I have time to decide.  

As for mods on this SR-80e, what do you guys think?  Quarter mod or go Cush?  Anything else I should consider?    

EDIT:  Lots of threads on Grado mods.  Most likely not going to get too deep into modding.  Barely have enough time to listen with 6-month old twins, but if you have easy mods feel free to suggest.  I can also enjoy them as is.  Nothing wrong in that either.  

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,505 of 6,729
  After spending several hours with the SR-80e it is clearly a high-performing bargain headphone.  I can try to do some mental memory comparisons with my previous woody 225i (with some sort of grill mod too) but I don't think it would be fair because in addition I used the 225i with higher-end equipment.  Based on my memory of iPhone usage, the 225 is bit more refined in regards to layering and imaging.  Bass too was deeper and more impactful but maybe that was due to the wood cups?  I also felt that there could have been more texture/palpability in the midrange.  Notes are more rounded/smoother with the SR-80e and with the SR-225 the notes had a more distinct leading edge.  Again, I am relying on memory :)   

Upon early listening I felt the SR-80e was a slight hair off-tone, vocals and guitar strings didn't sound accurate.  At the same time I wasn't liking the stock ear pads so I swapped them out with fresh Sennheiser HD414 yellow pads.  Much better comfort and maybe it was just a bit of mental or mechanical burn-in but now everything sounds closer to what I expect tonally.  

The SR-80 has all the features of the Grado sound.  There is a distinctness to Grado headphones.  There is little grain and the drivers have no issues keeping up with dynamic music.  Music just flows from these things.  I now know why people think Grados are great with rock and metal.  It's effortless reproduction of those genres.  I had the HD-800 at some point and I like that headphone.  It also has the speed to keep up with the most dynamic of music, but it doesn't have the meat-around-the-bones sound like the Grados.  If you want meat and potatoes then go Grado.  If you want just the potato then go HD800 :)  There's room for both headphones in this world.    

I still have my eye on the prize, the PS500e.  It will have some stiff competition because I am/was an ortho guy at heart, but I have time to decide.  

As for mods on this SR-80e, what do you guys think?  Quarter mod or go Cush?  Anything else I should consider?    

EDIT:  Lots of threads on Grado mods.  Most likely not going to get too deep into modding.  Barely have enough time to listen with 6-month old twins, but if you have easy mods feel free to suggest.  I can also enjoy them as is.  Nothing wrong in that either.  

Using the Grado (L) cushions on the 80's is makes a huge difference IMO, and its a $20.00 mod.

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,507 of 6,729

Your welcome.
You won't be dissapointed!
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,508 of 6,729
Trying to not be too disrespectful to rock music, but I would think the HD 800 wasted on much of the genre as it is typically really hot mastered. I am 46 and have been listening to rock/metal much of my life, but I will admit precious little of it is well recorded. I know there are certainly some okay rock recordings (mostly classic rock), but I can't imagine very much rock sounding good with the 800. Just too much wrong with the masterings (meaning way too loud and compressed) to want to reveal it. Personal opinion of course I'm sure many people would disagree. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,509 of 6,729
  Trying to not be too disrespectful to rock music, but I would think the HD 800 wasted on much of the genre as it is typically really hot mastered. I am 46 and have been listening to rock/metal much of my life, but I will admit precious little of it is well recorded. I know there are certainly some okay rock recordings (mostly classic rock), but I can't imagine very much rock sounding good with the 800. Just too much wrong with the masterings (meaning way too loud and compressed) to want to reveal it. Personal opinion of course I'm sure many people would disagree. 

One of the (few?) fortunate things about being the better part of a generation older than you are is that much of the rock music of my youth (starting in the the late and even mid 60's) is quite well recorded--and also well mastered and/or remastered.  A great deal of it provides excellent grist for the mill of the HD 800, LCD-3, a wide range of Grado/Alessandro--as well as other top quality cans (and speakers).

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #1,510 of 6,729

Amen. I sadly had to return the phones I had to fill in for a dead amp for my speaker system but the PS500e reproduce so much musicality from the musicians and instruments. Probably not for all genres, but man do they sing for jazz, rock, folk etc. I'd say their overall sound is better than my current Wharfedale 10.1 setup (albeit hard to compare the two experiences) but that might change once the new integrated amp is in town.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,511 of 6,729

One of the (few?) fortunate things about being the better part of a generation older than you are is that much of the rock music of my youth (starting in the the late and even mid 60's) is quite well recorded--and also well mastered and/or remastered.  A great deal of it provides excellent grist for the mill of the HD 800, LCD-3, a wide range of Grado/Alessandro--as well as other top quality cans (and speakers).

Most definitely older rock retains dynamics (albeit still often fairly flat due to technical constraints and recording styles). Those recordings certainly would benefit from the HD 800 whereas new rock recordings or even some remasters which frequently means made louder would suffer from the 800 in my opinion. I don't think I need to tell you that, however. I will admit that as of late when I play some of the classic rock that I used to find flat and dull sounding I hear more detail than I previously realized was there so I am in agreement that some older recordings were quite good. New rock, nope, not much of it; seems to me to be mastered for iPods, computer speakers (not the good ones) and for streaming/You Tube and in general an audience that isn't as attentive to the recording as perhaps past generations might have been.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,512 of 6,729
Aug 18, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,513 of 6,729
Joseph, if you get a chance to hear the TTVJ flats on your SR80i, I think that you'd be plesantly surprise, you'd get a little more bass, and a little smoother treble, plus, since they become supra aural, you can wear them with glasses. The only disadvantage, is a slight loss in soundstage size.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,514 of 6,729
Any has any idea about how the Grado sr80e compares to the Logitech UE6000 in terms of rock music purely ? I read that the sound of the e series is more relaxed and laid back for the mids , so does it reduce the effect heavy metal rock music might have ?

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #1,515 of 6,729
  Joseph, if you get a chance to hear the TTVJ flats on your SR80i, I think that you'd be plesantly surprise, you'd get a little more bass, and a little smoother treble, plus, since they become supra aural, you can wear them with glasses. The only disadvantage, is a slight loss in soundstage size.

I've tried them with the 80's/325's/RS1i's and preferred the (L) cushions for all of them, I've since sold them.
Thank you for the tip though.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back