Grado e Series
Aug 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,486 of 6,729
Hey guys which of the Prestige series provides the most bass? Not basshead kind of bass of course, I listened to the SR60e and it had a decent amount but which one has the most? I want to buy it and mod the crap out it.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,487 of 6,729
one thing you can do is buy the ttvjaudio flat pads for the SR60e. they’re denser than the comfies that come with the SR60 and will absolutely give you more bass. about 35 bucks. well wort it, imo

that said, if you want a bit more bass from the basic product, choose either the SR225 or SR325. they have similar quantity and bass extension and have more body than the stock SR60. 325 has more treble energy between them.

the flat pads will also work for these higher end grados and provide more bass but it might seem bloated (up to your taste) as those two headphones are tuned for the L cush pads which are deeper than the comfies or flat pads.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,488 of 6,729
Hey guys which of the Prestige series provides the most bass? Not basshead kind of bass of course, I listened to the SR60e and it had a decent amount but which one has the most? I want to buy it and mod the crap out it.

one thing you can do is buy the ttvjaudio flat pads for the SR60e. they’re denser than the comfies that come with the SR60 and will absolutely give you more bass. about 35 bucks. well wort it, imo

that said, if you want a bit more bass from the basic product, choose either the SR225 or SR325. they have similar quantity and bass extension and have more body than the stock SR60. 325 has more treble energy between them.

the flat pads will also work for these higher end grados and provide more bass but it might seem bloated (up to your taste) as those two headphones are tuned for the L cush pads which are deeper than the comfies or flat pads.

I was going to recommend the 225's as well *thumbs up*. Not sure what the differences are between the "i" and "e" models are, but does one offer something that the other does not?

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,489 of 6,729
Had a hard time deciding on which sub-$400 Grado to buy.  Previously had the 225i with wooden cups and really liked it.  My first Grado.  I wanted to experience another Grado and then the e-series came out.  All kinds of advice for 60-325e series.  Some people saying skip the lower models, some people saying 325i was too hot, someone said to me get the 125e and forget the rest.  One almost has to try all of them to get a true sense of this lineup.  After a long bout of indecision, getting the SR80e and then will go for the PS500e when I have the money.  Lets see how this fairs.  Small gamble, not too worried.  SR80e arrives tomorrow.  Should be fun.  Jazz, rock, classical, reggae, folk music, electronica, etc.  

Thanks for posting the links to the Grado factory in NY.  Kind of nice to support a US headphone company like Grado, Audeze, or Schiit.  Don't get me wrong, I have purchased my share of German and Chinese headphones too. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,490 of 6,729

If your going to mod the crap out a higher model Grado for more bass…why don't you save your money for now and by the 60's/80's and punch a couple of holes in the back of each driver on the  and hear how they sound first, you may like it! Also TTVJ flat pads like LCfiner said will definitely give you more bass.

Had a hard time deciding on which sub-$400 Grado to buy.  Previously had the 225i with wooden cups and really liked it.  My first Grado.  I wanted to experience another Grado and then the e-series came out.  All kinds of advice for 60-325e series.  Some people saying skip the lower models, some people saying 325i was too hot, someone said to me get the 125e and forget the rest.  One almost has to try all of them to get a true sense of this lineup.  After a long bout of indecision, getting the SR80e and then will go for the PS500e when I have the money.  Lets see how this fairs.  Small gamble, not too worried.  SR80e arrives tomorrow.  Should be fun.  Jazz, rock, classical, reggae, folk music, electronica, etc.  

Thanks for posting the links to the Grado factory in NY.  Kind of nice to support a US headphone company like Grado, Audeze, or Schiit.  Don't get me wrong, I have purchased my share of German and Chinese headphones too. 

Congratulations on the 80's!
Can't go wrong with them!

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #1,491 of 6,729
  If your going to mod the crap out a higher model Grado for more bass…why don't you save your money for now and by the 60's/80's and punch a couple of holes in the back of each driver on the  and hear how they sound first, you may like it! Also TTVJ flat pads like LCfiner said will definitely give you more bass.

Congratulations on the 80's!
Can't go wrong with them!

Hmm, maybe I will get the 80's to mod. I want to put some wood and recable and I'll try those pads too.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,492 of 6,729
Hi Gradopiliacs .....

Thanks to the introduction of the e Series, I just received a good deal on the (non-e) PS500.   I'm about 45 minutes into listening to my first Grado.  Amazing..... now I know why everyone calls these things detail monsters.

I'll never ceased to be amazed.... after all the Sennheisers, Audeze, Beyers, Hifiman, Fostex..... yet ANOTHER different yet glorious kind of sound.

My wife is now sure I'm a hoarding maniac with a total disdain for money.  Bwah hahahhaahhhhaa

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,493 of 6,729
All set for a long deserved vacation and my main item is all packed up...
beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,495 of 6,729
I'd be interested to hear from any e series owners if they can see if their drivers are also vented in this way ...

Yup, my newly acquired 225e's drivers have vent holes in the exact same spot. Where they're located surprises me a little bit... I figured the vent holes should be spaced exactly opposite from each other around the driver and not so close together. I vented my SR60i's drivers as such, but apparently Grado doesn't think so. Anyways, It's nice to see them venting the lower models too so that's one less mod which owners of the new lower-end Grados will be compelled to do.

I'm really, really enjoying my 225e's. I'm finding them to be a significant upgrade over my old SR60i's, which now sound muddy to me. I'm hoping I can hold myself back for at least a year before I decide to pull the trigger on the 500e!

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,496 of 6,729
Yup, my newly acquired 225e's drivers have vent holes in the exact same spot. Where they're located surprises me a little bit... I figured the vent holes should be spaced exactly opposite from each other around the driver and not so close together. I vented my SR60i's drivers as such, but apparently Grado doesn't think so. Anyways, It's nice to see them venting the lower models too so that's one less mod which owners of the new lower-end Grados will be compelled to do.

I'm really, really enjoying my 225e's. I'm finding them to be a significant upgrade over my old SR60i's, which now sound muddy to me. I'm hoping I can hold myself back for at least a year before I decide to pull the trigger on the 500e!

I listened to my friend's MS-1es and the soundstage was remarkably improved compared to the old Grado series. Even compared to the i series the soundstage was a huge improvement. I'd take the MS-1e over the older series Grado (225 and below) any day. You may lose a little speed and prat but the soundstage more than makes up for the difference. To be honest though I preferred the presentation of the old MS-1s to the SR-225. My whole point is though, I think the e-series is better based off of what I've heard so far. Maybe, it just pertains to specific models, who knows for now.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #1,497 of 6,729

I actually was one of the ones to eventually try out the whole SR series.  I started with SR325is, and I ended up with SR225i in portable duty, but I still own SR325is - it's the best one, even more so after the dynamat mod.  225 is very close in sound, so I kept it as my portable Grado.  Well, if you end up liking 80, definitely shoot for 325/225 later.

Edit: The rest sound thinner, actually deeper unlike 325/225's 2D soundstage, a little less clear, less details, less bass, much more tame, and quite frankly I was unimpressed.  Maybe I expected too much from starting off at the "top" and others saying that they're all very much alike, lol!

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,498 of 6,729
Thanks Mad Max, who knows I will probably end up with the 325 at some point, probably the 125 as well.  I almost convinced myself of it at the time of ordering the SR-80.  SR-80e is $99, but then the SR-125 is only $50 more, but the SR-225 is only $50 more than the SR-125, and then it is a $100 jump to the SR-325.  What held me back was that I had my eye on the prize, the PS-500e.  Seems to be referred to as a headphone with very natural tonality and that's what I enjoy the most, a headphone that can best reproduce guitar and piano as natural sounding as possible.  

Cheers,
5-10 hours before the FedEx guy drops off the SR-80e!

Quote:

I actually was one of the ones to eventually try out the whole SR series.  I started with SR325is, and I ended up with SR225i in portable duty, but I still own SR325is - it's the best one, even more so after the dynamat mod.  225 is very close in sound, so I kept it as my portable Grado.  Well, if you end up liking 80, definitely shoot for 325/225 later.

Edit: The rest sound thinner, actually deeper unlike 325/225's 2D soundstage, a little less clear, less details, less bass, much more tame, and quite frankly I was unimpressed.  Maybe I expected too much from starting off at the "top" and others saying that they're all very much alike, lol!

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #1,499 of 6,729

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a happy MS1i owner, and I've tried a number of other Grados over the years: 225i, 325is, RS2, RS1i.

First of all, if you are used to the sound of the MS1i with L-cushions, don't expect a big change from the sound of any of the the Grados you are considering. There will be differences, but they are quite subtle and you have to listen out for them.  I was quite disappointed when I first tried the higher end Grados, as I'd read a lot of comparisons and was expecting to be 'blown away' by the differences ... I wasn't. I eventually traded up to the RS1i and, whilst I really liked them, I didn't think the difference was quite worth the money at the time (I need the money for something else, in other circumstances, I'd have kept them). I'd always kept the MS1i as my 'reserve set' and now I'm just left with them. In the end, I realised this confirmed just how good the MS1i is, especially for the money!

Secondly, the 325i / MS2i are actually quite a bit heavier than the MS1i - not just because of the metal cups, but also the cable, which is a lot thicker and tends to pull the headphones down a bit. It's not a problem for many people, but I personally found them too heavy for long-term listening. I'd personally say that the RS series are the most comfortable Grados I've tried. Ultra-light and they just seem to 'sit' better on my head.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from upgrading by the way, just offering an alternative viewpoint! For what it's worth, if I was in the market for a new Grado and wasn't on a budget I'd probably go for the 225e or the RS2e ..

Thanks for your thoughts. Sticking with the MS1s is definitely still a possibility; I've been perfectly happy with them. Knowing myself a little too well though, I'll probably end up trying another model at some point just so I don't drive myself crazy wondering.

I emailed Alessandro to ask about the new MS2s and their plug size but haven't heard anything back yet. Honestly, I'm not sure which size I'd prefer given a choice. I guess I'll wait for the rest of the facts and think about it all some more. All while continuing to enjoy my MS1s of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,500 of 6,729
I agree with Joseph, WNBC, you did good, you can't go wrong with the SR80s, I think that they have THE best price vs performance ratio of all Grados. Even after three years of ownership, I'm still amazed with their sound quality. and I'm sure that I must look like a cat who just swallowed the canary, everytime I have them on, they are an obvious no brainer, if you ask me.

I hope that  you'll post your impressions, once you get a few hours into them.

Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back