Grado e Series
Aug 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #1,306 of 6,729
best sound with the grado?

drumroll...

Mapletree Ear+ HD amp.

It’ll do justice the entire range: from SR60, RS1 to the PS1000 but it’s about 2x cost of the Lyr unless you find one used.

Regarding Lyr 2 vs Valhalla 2, perhaps consider if you plan to get other headphone types in the future. It might make your choice easier. If you think you may get a Sennhesier HD600, HD800, maybe go with Valhalla. If you may want to try an Audeze or Hifiman planars, get the Lyr.

just a thought.

Thanks for the reply,

In the future I wanted to get some of the Hifiman line so I will probably get the lyr but I will check out the Mapletree amp and see if I can find a used one.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,307 of 6,729

drumroll...

Mapletree Ear+ HD amp.

It’ll do justice the entire range: from SR60, RS1 to the PS1000 but it’s about 2x cost of the Lyr unless you find one used.

Regarding Lyr 2 vs Valhalla 2, perhaps consider if you plan to get other headphone types in the future. It might make your choice easier. If you think you may get a Sennhesier HD600, HD800, maybe go with Valhalla. If you may want to try an Audeze or Hifiman planars, get the Lyr.

just a thought.

That's pretty much what I would have written...

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,308 of 6,729
Thanks for the reply,

Which should I lean towards now in your opinion? I have enough for either and I also am looking at is as an upgrade for my Asgard. I know the original lyr wasn't suited for lower impedance headphones but with the lyr 2 it is according to the schiit staff when I asked them. Honestly am just looking for the best sound with the Grado.

Thanks,

Arion

you certainly don't "need" the power of the lyr for grado's, but what that power does give you is dynamics, speed, punch !
and while tube rolloing can be pricey, if you get a killer set of NOS tubes, the sound can be outstanding .
the lyr does have the advantage to being able to drive just about anything out there.
the vali is really good too, but you can't roll the tubes.
as for the "best" sound for a grado, i'll agree with LCfiner the mapletree audio ear+ hd is the best i've heard, and i've got one for sale. (shameless plug) lol

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,309 of 6,729

drumroll...

Mapletree Ear+ HD amp.

just a thought.

Pretty much agreed...but that said, the PS1000s never enticed me to buy them from the MAD Ear+HD....it was the GS-X Mk2. 
smile.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #1,310 of 6,729
you certainly don't "need" the power of the lyr for grado's, but what that power does give you is dynamics, speed, punch !
and while tube rolloing can be pricey, if you get a killer set of NOS tubes, the sound can be outstanding .
the lyr does have the advantage to being able to drive just about anything out there.
the vali is really good too, but you can't roll the tubes.
as for the "best" sound for a grado, i'll agree with LCfiner the mapletree audio ear+ hd is the best i've heard, and i've got one for sale. (shameless plug) lol

Hmm yea the only thing that keeps me from choosing to purchase one over the other is if I want to tube roll or not. It sounds like something I would be interested in but is that ability worth the extra $300ish? I have a budget of around $500 for the amp but I will pm you.

Thanks,

Arion

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,311 of 6,729
I have never heard a lyr....so I can not comment on that amp.

I can say that the Mad Ear is incredible with Grados,   so I vote for that.

I am looking at getting an OTL tube amp, but will more than likely keep my mad ear in case i pick the rs1 up again......I like it that much  
smile.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #1,312 of 6,729
Grado's sound great on the Lyr, though the Mad Ear is better... and the Glenn OTL is very good... better with the right tubes then the Mad I'd say. They are all good though just depends on what you wanna spend and if you can wait for the amp to be build in the case of the Glenn and Mad.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,313 of 6,729
Does anyone know of any retailers I can buy the 225e from? I'm in Canada and would prefer not to pay the inflated $240 that retailers here are asking for (if they even have it available yet). All the sites I've checked are either selling them for $240 of won't ship to Canada for whatever reason. Thanks in advance for any help

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,314 of 6,729
  Pretty much agreed...but that said, the PS1000s never enticed me to buy them from the MAD Ear+HD....it was the GS-X Mk2. 
smile.gif

I'd say the main difference with us and our opinion of the PS1000 is that I liked it out of almost everything with the exception of the Burson Soloist. But you didn't really like it out of anything with the exception of the GS-X. :)

if someone were predisposed to like the sound of the PS1000 and wanted a slightly softer up top, but still fun version of it, then they'd probably really like it out of the Ear+.

I'm actually really curious what the GS-X does to the PS1000's sound to make your opinion of it change so much. From everything I read about the GS-X ("wire with gain", etc) I would think it would lay bare the worst... tendencies of the PS1000. But it seems that's not the case. Does it really control the treble splashiness? Any other distinct improvements over other times you've heard the PS1000?

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,316 of 6,729
Thanks for the advice everyone,

Now I just have one more dilemma. I don't know if I should get the 225's and upgrade my amp or if I should get the rs1's and use my Asgard in the meantime until I can get a solid tube amp. It's just with more research the rs1's are continuing to be a very attractive option.

Thanks,

Arion

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #1,317 of 6,729

Now I just have one more dilemma. I don't know if I should get the 225's and upgrade my amp or if I should get the rs1's and use my Asgard in the meantime until I can get a solid tube amp. It's just with more research the rs1's are continuing to be a very attractive option.

Thanks,

Arion

Get the RS1's!!! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,318 of 6,729
Sorry, but I seem to be the lone opinion at times regarding the RS1. The amp upgrade might be more worth.  Just do the tape mod, and the 225i is so close to the RS1 it's scary.

Except for the mahogany cups.  I'll give 'em that.

edit: my bad.  Forgot this was the 'e' thread.  The only 'e' I heard so far is the GS1K, so my opinion don't mean squat.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,319 of 6,729

Thanks,

Arion

IMHO....the RS1  trumps the 225 in every way

This is the i series that I am talking about......I have not heard any Grado e series phones.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,320 of 6,729
  Sorry, but I seem to be the lone opinion at times regarding the RS1. The amp upgrade might be more worth.  Just do the tape mod, and the 225i is so close to the RS1 it's scary.

Except for the mahogany cups.  I'll give 'em that.

edit: my bad.  Forgot this was the 'e' thread.  The only 'e' I heard so far is the GS1K, so my opinion don't mean squat.

Also, I've never heard the 225x at all, but I do have the 325is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back