Grado e Series
Aug 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,291 of 6,729
Claritas, like you said, they might have retuned the drivers, but I don't believe that this alone can do the trick. A few years ago I read an interview, in wich John Grado stated that you can't have an intimate midrange, and a big soundstage. That's why the RS1 for exemple, wich have L-cush, also have an intimate midrange, also have a narrowish soundstage, and it's also why the GS/PS1000 both of wich have G-cush, also have a wider soundstage, and more recessed mids. Pretty logical, if you ask me. You can't have the impression of siting in the 10th row, and expect the signer to be wispering in your ear.

Altough we can't have our cake, and our glasses of milk, we can, to a certain extent, cheat,  by swapping pads, that's a great thing that I think that after a while, we start taking for granted. I have swapped the comfies, for the TTVJ flats on my SR80i, and I also swapped the comfies for the L-cush on my Bushmills X.
Stacker, I've got to agree with you about the differences between the RS1's and GS/PS1K's. Even though the RS1's SS is narrower than the other two hp's I still hear good instrument separation and placement on most recordings. I too am a big fan of using the g-cushions. When people mention soundstage now I immediately think of the Senn HD800's, that's where you get that whisper in your ear effect.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,292 of 6,729
Having heard the Senns HD800, I didn't think that they had what I call, an intimate midrange, at least not like the RS1 or any other Grado besides the GS/PS1000.

I agree 100% with John Grado's view regarding soundstage widht beeing directly related with midrange proximity or lack thereof.  By the way, I agree, not because John said so, but beacause it's been my personnal experience as well.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,293 of 6,729

This is exactly as I see the RS1 sound stage.....pretty narrow.....but textured really well when paired with the mad and the right tube....and i agree , that it is one of the RS1's charms

Although narrow, instrument separation is still there. I find that with some albums/genres the RS1i to be better than the GS1000's, because the bass is not as resonant and does not overtake the the higher frequencies. Depends on taste though.

Instrument seperation is very good with the RS1i...it just does not have a wide soundstage,  but as MH has already said,.....that is one of its charms.

With a wider soundstage, it is not an RS1 anymore  
smile.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #1,295 of 6,729
   Instrument seperation is very good with the RS1i...it just does not have a wide soundstage,  but as MH has already said,.....that is one of its charms.

smile.gif

i've never liked the word "separation" , i've used the word texture, but we're all talking about the same thing it seems

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,296 of 6,729

smile.gif

i've never liked the word "separation" , i've used the word texture, but we're all talking about the same thing it seems

I was more referring to the rs1's imaging....even though the soundstage is amall and narrow....I can still tell where the instruments and voices are coming from

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,297 of 6,729
  I was more referring to the rs1's imaging....even though the soundstage is amall and narrow....I can still tell where the instruments and voices are coming from

yeah,  the difference between imagining and soundstage,
i prefer more accurate imaging as opposed to a big soundstage , though i do like a big soundstage when i can have it !

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,298 of 6,729
  Are the Grados still the best headphones for the Beatles?

It depends on how you want to hear the Beatles.  For me all Grados, except the darker PS line, are excellent at reproducing classic rock and electric blues.  The GS 1000i is also outstanding with acoustic music, of which the Beatles have dabbled from time to time.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,299 of 6,729

yeah,  the difference between imagining and soundstage,
i prefer more accurate imaging as opposed to a big soundstage , though i do like a big soundstage when i can have it !

For me it's very difficult to separate soundstage and placement within the sound stage (which overlaps with imaging).  Both things are critical to a quality and at least a medium sized sound stage.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,300 of 6,729
Aug 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,301 of 6,729
Hello,

I about to get some 225e's and a tube amp but just have some questions. I have demoed the 225i and really enjoyed them but based on impressions some have not enjoyed the e verson as much, with myself not being totally familiar with the 225i having only spent 20 or so minutes listening to them am I in store for disappointment with the e model? The tube amp I am looking at was the lyr 2 as it now has a gain switch and was recommended by the schiit staff but I just want to know if anyone has impressions of the pairing of the two or if maybe I should look at the vali?

Thanks,

Arion

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,302 of 6,729
Hello,

I about to get some 225e's and a tube amp but just have some questions. I have demoed the 225i and really enjoyed them but based on impressions some have not enjoyed the e verson as much, with myself not being totally familiar with the 225i having only spent 20 or so minutes listening to them am I in store for disappointment with the e model? The tube amp I am looking at was the lyr 2 as it now has a gain switch and was recommended by the schiit staff but I just want to know if anyone has impressions of the pairing of the two or if maybe I should look at the vali?

Thanks,

Arion

haven't heard the lyr 2, but i have owned a lyr for quite a while, and found it very good with grado's
i've also used the vali quite a lot, and while i didn't prefer it over the lyr, i found it to pair very weill with grado's

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,303 of 6,729
Hello,

Thanks,

Arion

The main draw of the Lyr is the amount of power you get for money.  You don't need that with any Grado.  You will be probably be better served with the cheaper Valhalla, Asgard 2 or other options.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,304 of 6,729
haven't heard the lyr 2, but i have owned a lyr for quite a while, and found it very good with grado's
i've also used the vali quite a lot, and while i didn't prefer it over the lyr, i found it to pair very weill with grado's

Thanks for the reply,

Which should I lean towards now in your opinion? I have enough for either and I also am looking at is as an upgrade for my Asgard. I know the original lyr wasn't suited for lower impedance headphones but with the lyr 2 it is according to the schiit staff when I asked them. Honestly am just looking for the best sound with the Grado.

Thanks,

Arion

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,305 of 6,729
best sound with the grado?

drumroll...

Mapletree Ear+ HD amp.

It’ll do justice the entire range: from SR60, RS1 to the PS1000 but it’s about 2x cost of the Lyr unless you find one used.

Regarding Lyr 2 vs Valhalla 2, perhaps consider if you plan to get other headphone types in the future. It might make your choice easier. If you think you may get a Sennhesier HD600, HD800, maybe go with Valhalla. If you may want to try an Audeze or Hifiman planars, get the Lyr.

just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back