Grado e Series
Jul 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,021 of 6,729
Hey everybody, I just wanted to comment on my PS500e. I have had these for a few months now and they are incredible. The soundstage is great. They have great detail and sound fantastic for the price. They are a very neutral sounding headphone. I highly recommend these.  

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,022 of 6,729
Does anyone have any direct grado vs oppo comparisons? I've tried searching but can't find much. Is it because the style of headphone is so different?

I'm coming from sr80i's which (like many) were the first headphones to really get me excited. I've since listened to a friends pair of RSi's (connected to a WA7) which was very amazing. And I am very close to pulling the trigger on some 500e's (hopefully with Fireflies to follow) But the PM-1 reviews sound pretty interesting. I know this shouldn't be a factor but I'm honestly thinking a lot about comfort - the exposed drivers on the grados can get pretty brutal after a work day at the desk.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,023 of 6,729
Does anyone have any direct grado vs oppo comparisons? I've tried searching but can't find much. Is it because the style of headphone is so different?

That's probably the reason; they're pretty much opposites. Most Grados are aggressive with treble spikes and rolled off bass. PM1 is relaxing with a slightly boosted bass and a shoved down treble. They're opposites in other respects too: on ear vs. over ear, dynamic vs. planar, very open-sounding vs. not so open-sounding. Grados are actually more comfortable than PM1 once you deploy the full bag of tricks (shape the headband insert, replace the headband cover, soak the cushions).

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #1,024 of 6,729
  Hey everybody, I just wanted to comment on my PS500e. I have had these for a few months now and they are incredible. The soundstage is great. They have great detail and sound fantastic for the price. They are a very neutral sounding headphone. I highly recommend these.  

Agree completely, my friend. The bass is just thumping on mine, no bloat whatsoever. Very satisfying. I must say, I like my 500 better than my RS1i and GS1Ki ! That's saying a lot...

EDIT: I meant the PS500. Not 500e. Haven't heard the e.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,025 of 6,729
That's probably the reason; they're pretty much opposites. Most Grados are aggressive with treble spikes and rolled off bass. PM1 is relaxing with a slightly boosted bass and a shoved down treble. They're opposites in other respects too: on ear vs. over ear, dynamic vs. planar, very open-sounding vs. not so open-sounding. Grados are actually more comfortable than PM1 once you deploy the full bag of tricks (shape the headband insert, replace the headband cover, soak the cushions).

It's not the headband that's uncomfortable. And the cushions can be scratchy, but they're not bad either. It's the metal of the driver rubbing my ear.

The other interesting point in the oppo reviews is the statement that they leak less sound than most open backed headphones. Which would be good for the cube farm.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,026 of 6,729
It's not the headband that's uncomfortable. And the cushions can be scratchy, but they're not bad either. It's the metal of the driver rubbing my ear.

The other interesting point in the oppo reviews is the statement that they leak less sound than most open backed headphones. Which would be good for the cube farm.

I'm not sure why that's happening. Try bending the headband insert to the shape of your head, usually into more of a U than the stock configuration.

It's true that PM1 leaks less, but the trade off is a more closed sound with little gain in isolation. Fostex mods are better in this respect.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,027 of 6,729
Thanks for the responses thus far. Have you tried the PM-1s?

And I know this sounds like I'm really pushing for the Oppos, but I'm not. I love the grado sound. And I love that grado are made in America (over Chinese Oppos). Il just trying to know the differences better before purchasing.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,028 of 6,729
Like I have said before, it's all subjective, and I personally, find it logical, and even reassuring, that the differences are subtle, yet noticable, after all, we're all Grado fans, wich means, that we probably liked the i series, and for the long time fans, we also like the original, non ''i'' models too.

The only two variations of the same models that I have compared are the first gen GS1000, and the ''i'' model. and altough the differences were noticable, (the ''i'' had a narrower soundstage, slightly more bass extension and fleshier midrange), they still had the Grado sound signature, and that's obviously, a good thing.

I love the soundstage of the GS1000 non-i, very good for live recordings (in my opinion)

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,029 of 6,729

And I know this sounds like I'm really pushing for the Oppos, but I'm not. I love the grado sound. And I love that grado are made in America (over Chinese Oppos). Il just trying to know the differences better before purchasing.

As others have stated in this thread, Grados seem to tend towards the treble a bit more, maybe with a more balanced signature at times, while the PM-1s are more focused on the bass and midrange.  As stated, they are opposites.  If you like the Grado sound, I suggest sticking with them, though there isn't much wrong with the Oppo sound, they aren't the Grado sound.  

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,030 of 6,729
So I was planning on picking up either the 225's or 325's but I was just curious if people found the "i" models to be better than the "e" models. I have demoed the 80i, 225i, and PS500 and I really like the Grado sound so I don't know if I should pick up one of the newer models or go for the "i".

Thanks,

Arion

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,031 of 6,729
So I was planning on picking up either the 225's or 325's but I was just curious if people found the "i" models to be better than the "e" models. I have demoed the 80i, 225i, and PS500 and I really like the Grado sound so I don't know if I should pick up one of the newer models or go for the "i".

Thanks,

Arion

I've haven't heard any of the (e) models yet, but if you can demo a pair of (e) models, being you already know the sound of the (i) model, and take notice if you hear any difference between the two. The first pair of 80's (non-i) I heard IMO definitely sounded different from the (i) model…the (i) model seemed too have a bit more bass and slightly larger sound-stage (not that Grado has a huge sound-stage), and they were also a bit smoother than the (non-i) model, but both had that Grado sound signature that I loved. BTW, the 325is's are a really great headphone IMO. Good luck.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,032 of 6,729

Thanks,

Arion

I heard no diff between 80i and 80e. Straight from iPod Classic 7G lossless tracks. Not surprised. Am a bit jaded. "Newer" isn't always better.
House sound preserved, alive and well. For newbies to Grado, then by all means, get an e-series.
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,033 of 6,729

I heard no diff between 80i and 80e. Straight from iPod Classic 7G lossless tracks. Not surprised. Am a bit jaded. "Newer" isn't always better.
House sound preserved, alive and well. For newbies to Grado, then by all means, get an e-series.
beerchug.gif

Well, at this point they haven't got an option if they're buying new stock. 
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,034 of 6,729

It's a matter of personal preference, at least that's what I contend in this review. The differences between 80i and 80e are less considerable than those between 225i and 225e.

I wouldn't have answered you if I hadn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back