Grado e Series
Jul 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #616 of 6,729
IMO I don't think Grado would've ostensibly upgraded its line, specifically the RS1, GS1K, and PS1K unless the construction change justified the manufacturing costs incurred. Of course only my two cents.

I agree. The Grado conspiracy posts are really starting to get old. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #617 of 6,729

I agree. The Grado conspiracy posts are really starting to get old. 

Huh.  I haven't read any of those lately.  I've been too busy reading the dozens of apology posts from those claiming the drivers were all the same, original size as the 'i' models.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #618 of 6,729
Huh.  I haven't read any of those lately.  I've been too busy reading the dozens of apology posts from those claiming the drivers were all the same, original size as the 'i' models.

:veryevil:
swspiers, have you just been reading or are you the new head of the world wide troll conspiracy? J-K don't ya know.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #619 of 6,729
I think we are all eagerly/impatiently awaiting early reviews, but it seems as though reviews are several weeks off, as the ttvj loaner program has been delayed, and perhaps grado has not been quick to send out many test samples.

On the other hand, there should be an ample supply of e series users already due to steady sales over the past few months prior to the official announcement.

All I can discern right now is that the few who have listened to e series models are having trouble detecting any significant or even noticeable differences from the i series. If that's the case, perhaps I should pick up an i series on discount instead of waiting for e series reviews?

I think if you go back through the thread there are way more than a "few" who have not only heard but liked the the difference including some of our most respected members. For myself the difference from my fresh out of the box SR60e compared to my well broken in SR60i was both very obvious and better. It has only gotten better since getting some play time on them. To expect that though is highly unrealistic in my opinion since I do believe that break in matters. My PS500 took almost 100 hours to really hit their stride and the difference was not subtle. I am sure if the gentleman with RS1e gives the e version some time to gel he will hear real differences (hopefully to his liking since we should not ever forget that for the most part this is still primarily a subjective and personal assessment).

I will be getting a set of PS500e in the next month or so and getting some time in om the PS1000e, I look forward to sharing my "opinions" at that time.

Regardless, happy listening to all.

:cool:

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #620 of 6,729
I think we are all eagerly/impatiently awaiting early reviews, but it seems as though reviews are several weeks off, as the ttvj loaner program has been delayed, and perhaps grado has not been quick to send out many test samples.

On the other hand, there should be an ample supply of e series users already due to steady sales over the past few months prior to the official announcement.

All I can discern right now is that the few who have listened to e series models are having trouble detecting any significant or even noticeable differences from the i series. If that's the case, perhaps I should pick up an i series on discount instead of waiting for e series reviews?

It's very easy to drive oneself a little crazy with these types of questions, and these types of decisions -
mostly because there's not enough information available, but also because of hype
and otherwise

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #621 of 6,729
It's been a frustrating product launch. The most serious issue is the lack of product samples or anything remotely approaching a systematic review by any publication that I know of.

In this day and age, consumers expect more information, rather than less. And grado does not seem to be very forthcoming. I thought John Grado Jr, being younger, was more in touch with the internet age, social media, and so on. He should know that a lot of people will want information quickly and that providing it can generate not only strong initial sales, but great word of mouth via social media.

I really don't understand Grado's marketing approach. It seems like they are satisfied with their current niche customer base, and don't really care to draw in new potential customers.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #622 of 6,729
I will be getting a set of PS500e in the next month or so and getting some time in om the PS1000e, I look forward to sharing my "opinions" at that time.

Regardless, happy listening to all.

cool.gif

Killer, looking forward to your thoughts, man!!

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #623 of 6,729
It's been a frustrating product launch. The most serious issue is the lack of product samples or anything remotely approaching a systematic review by any publication that I know of.

In this day and age, consumers expect more information, rather than less. And grado does not seem to be very forthcoming. I thought John Grado Jr, being younger, was more in touch with the internet age, social media, and so on. He should know that a lot of people will want information quickly and that providing it can generate not only strong initial sales, but great word of mouth via social media.

I really don't understand Grado's marketing approach. It seems like they are satisfied with their current niche customer base, and don't really care to draw in new potential customers.

Not quite understanding the problem here; Grado announced the launch less than 1 month ago and they have published specs, at least as clearly as they ever have for past models. They have stated which models have larger drivers and which have new cables, etc.

I'm sure that official reviews will follow, but again, this is a product launch that it is less than a month old.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #624 of 6,729

Well did it ever occur to you that Grado is probably satisfied with their current niche customers? 
Seems you have a lot of issues with Grado. I don't mean to be rude…but almost all of your comments seem very debating about Grado, and their headphones, so why would you post comments on any Grado thread where people like them???

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #625 of 6,729
Not quite understanding the problem here; Grado announced the launch less than 1 month ago and they have published specs, at least as clearly as they ever have for past models. They have stated which models have larger drivers and which have new cables, etc.

I'm sure that official reviews will follow, but again, this is a product launch that it is less than a month old.

I agree wholeheartedly. Grado has a history and tradition of making high quality, high value products since 1949. Their biggest advertising tool has always been low key word of mouth from satisfied customers. When John's uncle Joe Grado introduced the first signature series phono cartridges it took the Audiophile market and press by storm but it was not done in any media blitz "everyone must get early samples" approach. It came about on it's own merits as people tried, heard and talked about the product. In my opinion this has continued to serve them well and the customers who decide that a Grado product suits their tastes.

You do not have to like the product or their traditional approach to attempt to make and/or improve but it has served them and all the customers who love their Grados. It is very similar in approach to what McIntosh, the high end electronics company did for years, relying on a superior product proving itself on it's own merits instead of some sort of media blitz or advertising compaign.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but really, how many times is the same ground going to be rehashed? More people are buying and receiving the new series every day and the feedback will obviously grow along with that.

You will never please all of the people all of the time. Let's just enjoy the ride and the fact that a proven manufacturer has decided on an innovative approach to bringing to market a new series that will show itself to impress many many more enthusiasts than it may disappoint. Again, everyone is entitled to and will likely have an opinion, listen and decide just like any other brand. I have heard as many over $1000 headphones that disappoint "in my opinion" as ones that impress and could be considered a value. :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #626 of 6,729
Everyone is entitled to their opinions but really, how many times is the same ground going to be rehashed? 

+1

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #628 of 6,729
John Grado just called me a few minutes ago. He said that it's pretty obvious to him that there are a few people in the Grado thread who obviously know how to run a company better than he does, so he wants me to put together a short list of about three or four who can go ahead and take over operations. 

rolleyes.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #629 of 6,729
Grado is a very small company, (by company standards), if I'm not mistaking, they have 17 employes. Not every buisness owner want to become a billionnaire. My audio dealer has been in buisness for over 60 years, and the only reason that he recently opened a second store in the next city, is because his son is now old enough to manage it, and that he knows that the clients will be well taken care of.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #630 of 6,729

I don't see how it's frustrating. Sound signature/quality reviews are subjective and Grado would rather let people make up their own mind rather than pin far fetched adjectives to their products in the hopes of attracting new customers - and that's a good thing.

If you want more information, buy a pair with a 30 days money back guarantee no questions asked - plenty of people offer this with a small restocking fee, including Todd who posted in this thread with the driver measurement pictures earlier. Grado gave us all the information they could give and have been called liars and schemers until proven right on top of it. The potential new customers will come to Grado once the niche customers get their "e" series and start reviewing them, same as it was for the "i" series.

I'd like to point out also that Grado prices have remained unchanged throughout the years even when releasing new series. How many companies in this field can say the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back