Grado e Series
Jun 25, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #466 of 6,729
how does that affect the sound? do you lose any of the midrange?

Sorry, up late! Your question deserved some listening. I have taken the RS1is down from the bedroom where they go straight into a Chromebook Pixel or the Audiolab M-DAC (and then to a desktop) and brought them downstairs and plugged them into the Lehmann Linear SE (fed by Schiit Gungnir and an Oppo 103 or a laptop) and have tried them with L and G cushions with Tom Waits 'Foreign Affairs', Paul Simon 'Graceland' and the Szell EMI recording of Mahler's 'Des Knaben Wunderhorn'.

O.K. You need to turn the volume up, but there is no loss of midrange between the L cushions and the G cushions IMO. Perhaps there is a loss in 'in yer face' quality, but timbre and definition are enhanced. There is a huge improvement in soundstage and in the treatment of backing instruments, acoustic environment etc. Percussion and plucked instruments can sound brittle and compressed the the L cushions, but become more natural with the G cushions. For the music that I listen to, there is no contest. The midrange with the G cushions somewhat overshadows my HD800s in voices (I am talking so much heresy in this post - i should have done it under another name). YMMV. I'm happy that I bought them.

O.K? Now where do I go to be burned at the stake?

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #467 of 6,729
no not always but usually. sure there are discounts to clear existing stock and introductory offers for new products, but prices tend to go up not down - just like the cost of living. so it's not surprising that the new e series comes with a price increase.

miscommunication!
cool.gif

I meant that the prices on Amazon of existing "i" stock had gone up, which surprised me (slightly).
Amazon is not offering the "e" is at this time.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #469 of 6,729
  Back on topic, what's the biggest improvement in sound? I have the older 80i and would like to step up...225e? 325e? What say ye?

To be honest, if you're going to buy a set of Grados, you're always going to want to upgrade to get that extra little nugget of audio juiciness.  So I'd say that the next logical step for you is either the GS1000e or the PS500e.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #470 of 6,729
  To be honest, if you're going to buy a set of Grados, you're always going to want to upgrade to get that extra little nugget of audio juiciness.  So I'd say that the next logical step for you is either the GS1000e or the PS500e.

I'll throw out a 2nd vote for the PS500s. I've heard everything in the line (pre-e) except the PS1ks, and IMO if you really want a clear step up and the budget is there, go for the 500s. The 225s and 325s, to me, are more like stepping stones, whereas the 500s have become one a backbone of my headphone group. And that's not to say the others aren't great headphones, cause at their respective price points I feel they are. But I just don't find myself asking "what if" with the 500s with the intent of replacing them. Just one Grado lover's opinion :)

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #471 of 6,729
Of course you guys are no help...lol
The only Grado's even close to me are the 80's and 325's I know there is a place in Chicago that should have the whole line. I don't mind spending money but would like the hear them first.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #472 of 6,729
The only Grado's even close to me are the 80's and 325's I know there is a place in Chicago that should have the whole line. I don't mind spending money but would like the hear them first.

Actually, Audio Consultants carries the entire lineup. Give them a call, they have several locations in the Chicagoland area.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #473 of 6,729

The best thing you can do for yourself is too listen to the models you are interested in, and choose from there. In regards to the 325, they are a great headphone, and they may satisfy your needs much more than you may think. Only you know what you want to hear! You can get some guidance from here, which can give an idea, but listen for yourself as long as you have the opportunity.
Good luck

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #474 of 6,729
Actually, Audio Consultants carries the entire lineup. Give them a call, they have several locations in the Chicagoland area.

Yep. The Hinsdale location had everything but the PS-series last time I was there. They're also really laid back and never pester you, even when auditioning for long periods of time. They also have a Pro-Ject amp with dual outputs to make A/Bing very easy.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #475 of 6,729
i've put my name on the list for a loaner gs1000e from TTVJ,
i'm sure by now, it may be a little far down the list, we'll see

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #476 of 6,729
Yep. The Hinsdale location had everything but the PS-series last time I was there. They're also really laid back and never pester you, even when auditioning for long periods of time. They also have a Pro-Ject amp with dual outputs to make A/Bing very easy.

I didn't remember which ones they had, but they weren't so laid back with me. The Chicago store has the Prestiges and is very polite. That's where I bought my 80i after demoing the five Prestiges all the live long day. Supposedly, the Evanston store is the largest.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #477 of 6,729
I didn't remember which ones they had, but they weren't so laid back with me. The Chicago store has the Prestiges and is very polite. That's where I bought my 80i after demoing the five Prestiges all the live long day. Supposedly, the Evanston store is the largest.

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't that great there -- of course, it could just be a matter of personality, those guys are pretty dry until you get to know them a little.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #478 of 6,729
Sorry to hear your experience wasn't that great there -- of course, it could just be a matter of personality, those guys are pretty dry until you get to know them a little.

They weren't rude -- "dry" is an excellent characterization. I had a really good demoing there anyway. I just the Chicago location is nicer, though apparently it has fewer Grados.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #479 of 6,729
  i've put my name on the list for a loaner gs1000e from TTVJ,
i'm sure by now, it may be a little far down the list, we'll see

just received response from todd : Got it – you are #5 on the list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back