Grado e Series
Jun 16, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #106 of 6,729
I would like to do a comparison myself but I wonder how easy it would be to do a fair comparison given that one pair is broken in and the other is brand new. Do you think that might skew impressions somewhat?

Not all headphones change with burn in. My T1 really sounded bad out of the box and almost returned it after a week of buying it. DT250 on the other hand didn't change at all or very little. I don't know about Grados yet, I'm new with Grados (SR80i) and so far I'm impressed. I guess I like presentations leaning towards bright signature because it highlights details in mids and treble more than dark sound signature.

I have my eyes on SR325e as my next Grado.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #108 of 6,729

I would like to do a comparison myself but I wonder how easy it would be to do a fair comparison given that one pair is broken in and the other is brand new. Do you think that might skew impressions somewhat?

Not all headphones change with burn in. My T1 really sounded bad out of the box and almost returned it after a week of buying it. DT250 on the other hand didn't change at all or very little. I don't know about Grados yet, I'm new with Grados (SR80i) and so far I'm impressed. I guess I like presentations leaning towards bright signature because it highlights details in mids and treble more than dark sound signature.

I have my eyes on SR325e as my next Grado.

Good choice, one of my favorite models!
Main thing you will be getting is more/better bass...everybody likes more bass!!

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #109 of 6,729
  Judging by their use of 'i' for improved I'd assume that 'e' stands for enhanced. I know SR is Stereo Reference. I used to think it stood for Sub Reference being that the Prestige line is below the Reference line.

*The “SR” of the Prestige series actually stands for “Sound Retriever” :wink:, it's from the year 1990.

I couldn't help noticing that the back of the drivers in the new series looks pink (or maybe red?). Is that a hark back to the old, famous "pink driver" RS1s?

Quite possibly!

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #111 of 6,729
I got that from 90s magazines (possibly out of Joseph Grado's mouth, I need to verify), so sure, it can be regarded as the old school nomenclature.

*Actually I think the SR325 was at one point their flagship, after their stock of HP 1000 ran out. So Stereo “Reference” was fairly accurate naming before the better Reference Series came out starting with the RS-1.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #112 of 6,729
I think you will find yourself liking them very much. They do require a fair amount of break in to really be themselves. Figure 100 hours +
Good luck and enjoy, one of my favorite Grados and I have had experience with all of them.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #113 of 6,729
Well...I decided to go with the PS500e.

Fingers crossed that I like them. I know they aren't the Grado of choice around here...but who knows if the new ones will make a better impression on the Head-Fi Grado Fans.

Great choice in my opinion 
beerchug.gif
 I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the PS500e.  Out of curiosity which Grado's have you listen to at this point?

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #114 of 6,729
Please re-read it...I plan on selling the PS1000. :smile:  No reason to have both the PS1K and PS1Ke. 

wait my friend. I have a psk also.but please really listen to a new pske
first then make a decision to sell. Because they might be very different.
I bought an new mpro.now but i just ordered another old version mpro.
I decide to own both since their personalities are so different.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #116 of 6,729
wait my friend. I have a psk also.but please really listen to a new pske
first then make a decision to sell. Because they might be very different.
I bought an new mpro.now but i just ordered another old version mpro.
I decide to own both since their personalities are so different.

I've decided to keep both the PS500 and PS500e because of the same reason, to different flavors of a great headphone.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #118 of 6,729
Jun 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #119 of 6,729
  I couldn't help noticing that the back of the drivers in the new series looks pink (or maybe red?). Is that a hark back to the old, famous "pink driver" RS1s?

Oh man I'm getting nostalgia from when I first joined Head-Fi and first knew of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back