Grado e Series
Jul 31, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,171 of 6,729
^ agreed. There's a time for rocking out/jamming, and there's a time for listening that just takes you away. And it only needs to be as loud as it needs to be to take you away. Man I can fall asleep pretty good with some Soundtrack music playing just loud enough to block out the outside noise.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,172 of 6,729
Oh sorry audeze lcd2 r1.

whew. that's a relief. I thought you had crossed an LCD with an RS1 or somethin'.
we do genetic crosses here at the lab, but not with cans!
eek.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #1,173 of 6,729
  For me the volume for each headphone/track has a point were it will sounds perfect…just need to find it, but when I do it is pure pleasure!

Yeah, but usually, it's more loud than low volume for me.

the higher Grados like GS1000i and PS500 are tuned to sound great at modest volumes. Besides, it's genre-dependent and personal. 1. I don't want to ruin my hearing, 2. Who listens to chamber quartets and choral/symphonies at full blast with cans? Suicidal, imo.

It's how the music affects my SOUL deep down, man, that counts. And that's usually soft, sweet music at low volumes when I can hear delicate ambience and wood resonances of string instruments. Yeah.....

I listen to symphonies at full blast. It's great. I don't damage my hearing, there's a threshold I don't go past, but it doesn't mean the volume is way down either. As for anything rock, which is what my 325s excel at, they sound at their best with the volume turned UP.

^ agreed. There's a time for rocking out/jamming, and there's a time for listening that just takes you away. And it only needs to be as loud as it needs to be to take you away. Man I can fall asleep pretty good with some Soundtrack music playing just loud enough to block out the outside noise.

Sure, but with Grados for outside noise to be blocked, they need to be pretty loud IMO. The 325s especially shine at loud volumes with anything rock/blues/metal.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #1,177 of 6,729
I tried to work out a suspension headband for my grado a little while back, but it was too much work. Eventually just got some felt and soft foam. Works wonders.
The Turbulent Labs replacement headbands for Grado hp's are super cool.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,178 of 6,729
^ I agree, but they're kinda overpriced IMO. very nice though. Still, you can buy the Beyer 880 or even just make your own if you've got some materials and sewing know-how.

Ah the age-old question of how to up the comfort...

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #1,180 of 6,729

Yeah, but usually, it's more loud than low volume for me.

I listen to symphonies at full blast. It's great. I don't damage my hearing, there's a threshold I don't go past, but it doesn't mean the volume is way down either. As for anything rock, which is what my 325s excel at, they sound at their best with the volume turned UP.

Sure, but with Grados for outside noise to be blocked, they need to be pretty loud IMO. The 325s especially shine at loud volumes with anything rock/blues/metal.

Yes, I do agree that the Grados sound nicer at a mid/high volume. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,182 of 6,729
Glad you like it. I meant to post it in the fan club thread but everything's spilling over to here.

I have a number of Solomon's records, his late Beethoven and his Chopin. A very fine artist.

these LPs  just came in here in Nirvana. Will be waxin' the 'table this WE, man....
tongue_smile.gif

and the ps500 on BHA-1. LG x1000

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,183 of 6,729
these LPs  just came in here in Nirvana. Will be waxin' the 'table this WE, man....:tongue_smile:

and the ps500 on BHA-1. LG x1000

Great choices! I have the second two. If Bohm's Mozart is indicative of his approach, I would expect structured, Apollonian performances. The Heifetz is my go to (along with his version with Toscanini from 1940), and I think Perahia's the greatest living pianist. :beerchug:

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,184 of 6,729
Perahia is indeed great -- hope he fully recovers from his hand injuries. Quite prolonged.

Other candidates for "greatest living pianist" (without Grado headphones):
Alfred Brendel (Schubert, Beethoven sonatas)
Andras Schiff (Mozart piano sonatas, Bach partitas)
Martha Argerich (some Chopin)
Angela Hewitt (her Bach is sublime)
Vladimir Ashkenazy (his Beethoven Emperor with Vienna Phil/Mehta still gives me the thrills)
Krystian Zimerman (Beethoven Piano Concertos, Bernstein/Vienna Phil)

more but I'm blocking on them.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,185 of 6,729
Perahia is indeed great -- hope he fully recovers from his hand injuries. Quite prolonged.

Yeah, he cancelled on us a couple of years ago but I got hear him before that. I don't find him to be especially original, just consistently beautiful. That's enough for me. If I had to list another, I would choose Evgeny Kissin. The rest of my list would include Andras Schiff, Richard Goode, and maybe Grigory Sokolov.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back