Grado e Series
Jul 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,141 of 6,729

I love Gardot. And yes, Krall does suffer from the "elevator music" syndrome. A bit one-dimensional and less musically adventurous than Gardot. Vocally less refined too. But man, Krall knows how to work an audience.

Will have to make a shop list for all these vocalists and give my CC a good waxing later this week....good thing my mortgage was all paid off a few yrs back...
beerchug.gif

Back to work, checkin' later 2nite. Cheers.

Hahaha, well put, and agreed on all accounts!

Happy Listening
beyersmile.png

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,142 of 6,729

Seriously, people need to expand beyond Miles Davis and Diana.

Happy Listening
beyersmile.png

+1000

I also add Jaco Pastorius to that trio, there are other jazz bassists.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,145 of 6,729
My apologies, meant no offense. Dumb of me to think that this thread was about expressing personal preferences......
Cheers

Originally Posted by Claritas 

"Only if that's your sound preference. I still prefer my woodied 80i."
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Claritas, I was only jokin'. Testing my long-distance chain pullin' apparatus.
We still luv ya.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,146 of 6,729
Sorry, I still can't use the quote function, Ok!, ThePianoMan, I though that we were talking about female vocals music, now, I might be the one off track here, but you seem to be evaluathing the music playing abilitys of the likes of Diana Krall, while I'm was referring to the soothingness (is that even a word) of Rebecca Pidgeon, Alisson Krauss, and Eva Cassidy's respective voices. Don't take this the wrong way, I mean no disrespect, but I just feel that we might not on the same page.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,147 of 6,729
Sorry, I still can't use the quote function, Ok!, ThePianoMan, I though that we were talking about female vocals music, now, I might be the one off track here, but you seem to be evaluathing the music playing abilitys of the likes of Diana Krall, while I'm was referring to the soothingness (is that even a word) of Rebecca Pidgeon, Alisson Krauss, and Eva Cassidy's respective voices. Don't take this the wrong way, I mean no disrespect, but I just feel that we might not on the same page.

Oh, sorry! I was just making an aside about how engaging I found her music, that's all. I find them All soothing!

Happy Listening!

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #1,149 of 6,729
It's all good ThePianoMan, by the way, if you can, check out Sofia Petterson<s rendition of Hallelujah. It<s late and I'm tired, but I have a geat little anecdote, about the first time that I've heard this version, for now, I'll just say this, they're was some weeping involve.

I'll try to write it tomorrow, this will give you guys enough time to read my last post in the Grado fan club thread, and say if you prefer that I keep this one to myself.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,150 of 6,729
Well, alls well that ends well as they are giving me a brand new pair of PS500e's. They couldn't actually figure out what was wrong with my original pair, i thought it was out of phase but they ruled that out after running some tests. All they could really say is one or possibly both the drivers must have been defective. Anyway i'm getting a brand new pair so heres hoping they function correctly. Cheers Grado!

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,151 of 6,729
ditto LCFiner on PS500 vs. 225i: 500 leaves 225i in the dust. Tons more details, smoother highs, deeeeeper bass, a microscope for my music + musicality. Can't go wrong. But use a good amp to maximize 500 performance. Enjoy!
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/grado

Even unamped the choice between the RS1i and the PS500 was hard, but both were way ahead of the 225i; the RS1 warmer, the 500 mor precise. From what I hear here at Head-Fi.org I’d bet a nickel the PS500e combined with even a very modest tube amp might well be better than an RS1—but I haven’t actually compared them yet. I agree that you couldn’t possibly go wrong, if you can afford the upgrade. The sound WILL be different than the 225i, but it will be a GOOD difference.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #1,153 of 6,729

ditto LCFiner on PS500 vs. 225i: 500 leaves 225i in the dust. Tons more details, smoother highs, deeeeeper bass, a microscope for my music + musicality. Can't go wrong. But use a good amp to maximize 500 performance. Enjoy!
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/grado

Even unamped the choice between the RS1i and the PS500 was hard, but both were way ahead of the 225i; the RS1 warmer, the 500 mor precise. From what I hear here at Head-Fi.org I’d bet a nickel the PS500e combined with even a very modest tube amp might well be better than an RS1—but I haven’t actually compared them yet. I agree that you couldn’t possibly go wrong, if you can afford the upgrade. The sound WILL be different than the 225i, but it will be a GOOD difference.

That is probably true for most, but I can see someone who likes the 225 might prefer it over the other two.  The RS-1 is very bright and does not have the same slam as the 225.  The PS 500 (and PS 1000) are the only dark Grado headphones.  (I have extensive head time with all the "i's" but only the 60 & 80 "e".)  That darker sound might not be appealing to a fan of the 225.

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #1,154 of 6,729
  Well, alls well that ends well as they are giving me a brand new pair of PS500e's. They couldn't actually figure out what was wrong with my original pair, i thought it was out of phase but they ruled that out after running some tests. All they could really say is one or possibly both the drivers must have been defective. Anyway i'm getting a brand new pair so heres hoping they function correctly. Cheers Grado!

Hey that's good to hear, all's well that ends well. Enjoy the 500e. Let us know how it sounds. I'm interested in getting a 500e, but ONLY if it is significantly better than my 500. Not after 1% improvements here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back