Grado e Series
Apr 7, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #4,456 of 6,729

It's sad, but the RS1e, are proof, that newer, doesn't always mean better, just different. That's why, thanks to kayandjohn, I have a brand new pair of ''old'' RS1 on the way.
wink.gif

Good point...you can add the Stax SR-007 Mk2 and 2.5....the Mk1s are the better headphones.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4,457 of 6,729

It's normal to have preferences when we own many pairs of headphones, Based on what you're saying you're not a collector. Like I've said if you buy for a reason, and not just for the sake of ownig as many pairs of headphones as possible, I don't consider you a collector.

Just to be clear, I have nothing against people who collect headphones. Some people collect cars, others collect headphones, it's all good.
wink.gif

No, I'm definitely not a collector or I would have kept (almost) every HP that I had at my house and it would would have been way too many for me. I even sold my Bushmills-X which are sought after right now and are IMO going to be a "collectors" HP one day.
I have nothing against anyone who collects anything either, but its just not my thing.

It's sad, but the RS1e, are proof, that newer, doesn't always mean better, just different. That's why, thanks to kayandjohn, I have a brand new pair of ''old'' RS1 on the way.
size]

beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #4,458 of 6,729
I purchased a pair of 325e a couple weeks ago and put about 50+ hours so far. I must say I do enjoy them more than the 325is version I owned and they are sounding better as the break in. Seems smoother and less "in your face" and I can listen to them for longer periods with less fatigue. Bass is a tad deeper. Treble is a bit more refined. I do however miss a bit of the upper midrange attack of the previous "i" series. My first Grado's were SR80 purchased in the mid 90's.

My other headphones are a pair of Stax electrostatics I've owned and listened to extensively since the early 90's (I probably need to retire those, but they still sound great), Sennheiser HD600s and various IEMs.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #4,459 of 6,729
My SR 225i  Came today, right out of the box which is a light pale green colour, the cables much thicker than my grado sr 325i bronze, and a little shorter....But looking inside I can see the RED drivers...does this mean they maybe the newer E type ???....there is no number on box, etc...only the sellers number on the back, serial number, etc....What do you think ?...
Also right out of the box into my schiit magni 2 they sound  very good....and this can only get better.....was a bit light when first turned d on.....But then I squeezed the jack into my grado extension lead a bit and  wow much better......had me fooled for a bit..hopefully all ok from now on.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #4,460 of 6,729
  My SR 225i  Came today, right out of the box which is a light pale green colour, the cables much thicker than my grado sr 325i bronze, and a little shorter....But looking inside I can see the RED drivers...does this mean they maybe the newer E type ???....there is no number on box, etc...only the sellers number on the back, serial number, etc....What do you think ?...
Also right out of the box into my schiit magni 2 they sound  very good....and this can only get better.....was a bit light when first turned d on.....But then I squeezed the jack into my grado extension lead a bit and  wow much better......had me fooled for a bit..hopefully all ok from now on.

Sounds like you have a hybrid 225i / 225e; these were sold for a while before the 'e' series was officially released.  

One other thing to check - hold one of the earcups up to the light, looking through the wire mesh at the back. You should see a ring of circular holes surrounding the central red metal plate. These holes are covered in a thin layer of felt, but on the 225e the two holes either side of where the cable is soldered onto the driver will be opened, so will let more light through.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4,461 of 6,729
Can't really see to tell you the truth...even with a mag glass, when I shine the mag glass which lights up by the way on the other side , looking at the side which touches the ears I can see a circles of light shinning . so maybe I do have the holes ?

Just had another look , and all I can say is that when I hold the phones up to the light , then look from either side I can see a full circle of about 8 holes ?...... no felt ?,
 if that helps...lol.... I assume I have the first 225i  e    then ?

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4,462 of 6,729
  Can't really see to tell you the truth...even with a mag glass, when I shine the mag glass which lights up by the way on the other side , looking at the side which touches the ears I can see a circles of light shinning . so maybe I do have the holes ?
Just had another look , and all I can say is that when I hold the phones up to the light , then look from either side I can see a full circle of about 8 holes ?...... no felt ?,
 if that helps...lol.... I assume I have the first 225i  e    then ?

If the back of the driver looks to have "Red" silicon then its an (e) series.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #4,463 of 6,729

Good point...you can add the Stax SR-007 Mk2 and 2.5....the Mk1s are the better headphones.

Two years ago, at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, I listened to Sofia Peterson's version of Hallelujah, with a pair of Stax SR-007MkII, and I remember being very impress with their sound quality. I can only imagine how good the MkI must sound.
  If the back of the driver looks to have "Red" silicon then its an (e) series.

They don't seem to be one of the Frankensteins, I mean, the red drivers are very easy to identify.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #4,465 of 6,729
Just a heads up if anyone was interested in buying a "NEW" RS1i.
[COLOR=FF0000]Sonic Electronix[/COLOR]

Hey guys I wish this were true. I actually ordered one from said sight a few days ago. I found that on the actual shipping confirmation it was a RS1e. When I called to ask about it they said that the SKU # is the same for both and that they no longer have the RS1i. So I cancelled my order. My search continues.....

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #4,466 of 6,729
Hey guys I wish this were true. I actually ordered one from said sight a few days ago. I found that on the actual shipping confirmation it was a RS1e. When I called to ask about it they said that the SKU # is the same for both and that they no longer have the RS1i. So I cancelled my order. My search continues.....

So Sonic Electronics is selling the first run of the RS1i (e) series?

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #4,467 of 6,729
So Sonic Electronics is selling the first run of the RS1i (e) series?

Yes. They have the "e" series model for every Grado HP except the PS1000 which is a Special Order item. When you think about being that; the Rs1i is being advertised as 10% off MSRP and the order is filled with a Rs1e (unless they fixed it yesterday after I spoke to customer service) you are essentially getting a RS1e at a 10% discount!!

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,468 of 6,729
Yes. They have the "e" series model for every Grado HP except the PS1000 which is a Special Order item. When you think about being that; the Rs1i is being advertised as 10% off MSRP and the order is filled with a Rs1e (unless they fixed it yesterday after I spoke to customer service) you are essentially getting a RS1e at a 10% discount!!

Sorry for the misleading info, thanks for clearing this up…but their ad makes it sound like they have 3 NOS RS-1i's left, they should correct it.
Sonic Electronix also stated at one time they had the PS-1000i (when I was purchasing them)…and there is no (i) series.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,469 of 6,729
Sorry for the misleading info, thanks for clearing this up…but their ad makes it sound like they have 3 NOS RS-1i's left, they should correct it.
Sonic Electronix also stated at one time they had the PS-1000i (when I was purchasing them)…and there is no (i) series.

That's exactly what I told them, twice in fact. There is no way you would have known either so no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back