Grado e Series
Apr 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #4,426 of 6,729
I have somewhat related my Grado experiences in the fan club thread.. very briefly, I was given an SR60i which so impressed me that, after much reading, I ordered a pair of RS-1i. What arrived was a transitional red driver RS-1i/e which is really underwhelming. It does some things well, but has well-documented faults. I'm thinking of trying again... I can't go as far as the PS1000e, but am thinking about the PS500e or SR325e. The sound of the RS-1i/e lacks depth and is easily overwhelmed by larger orchestral forces. What should I try next? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Although I've never heard either the RS-2e/PS-500e, the consensus is that the RS-2e sounds like the RS-1i.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,427 of 6,729
I used to own an MS2 (owned for years and sold it recently).   I’m thinking of buying a SR325e…or perhaps another MS2.

I’ve read that the highs on the new ‘e’ series have been toned down.  Before the new series came out, the Alessandro models were recommended to those who found the Grado highs too shrill.  Is this still the case?   Are the highs of the new SR325e still sibilant?

I’m listening to an SR60i right now and the highs give me problems now and then.  I have to adjust the volume when this happens, which is a pain in the butt.   

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #4,428 of 6,729

I'd recommend trying the 500e. What I like about them is they respond well to the G-cush, and have pretty good instrument separation. And with the G-cush, the soundstage is pretty impressive as well, adds a little air and a better feel for the space.

That's really interesting. I already own the G-cushes, having tried everything to make the RS1e/i work for me. Opinion seems massively divided over the 500e, which makes it sound interesting, at least! You can see how, having spent £799 to get something that was supposed to classic and wonderful which turned out to be a) not what I thought that I had ordered and b) a bit meh, that I am a bit cautious.

Mmy RS1i/e is good at some things. Tight-in soundstages with spare textures (Britten 'Death in Venice' - Decca, for example). Naturally two dimensional historical recordings are also well resolved... Thank you so much for your thoughts. Anyone else? PS500e? Going, going....

I am using the Grados out of a Lehmann Linear SE, btw, or straight out of a Naim SuperUniti 2. I have a Lyr, but it is way too noisy with low impedance cans.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #4,429 of 6,729
  Although I've never heard either the RS-2e/PS-500e, the consensus is that the RS-2e sounds like the RS-1i.

Yup. I have pondered that. It's just that having ordered the RS1 and come to grief, ordering the RS2 as a solution is difficult to get my head round! Is this how one becomes a Grado collector (of which there are many, apparently)?

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #4,430 of 6,729
I have the 500e, fantastic headphone for classical and jazz. Prefer the G's for symphonic music and L's for jazz, chamber, and rock.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #4,431 of 6,729
With all the love the RS2e has been getting on here I was wondering how they come compare to previous RS2s. My local audio store has a great deal on their old stock and I'm trying to decide between the 325e and the RS2.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4,433 of 6,729
Have you heard either the 325e or the RS-2i being they're at your local audio store?

I listened to both of them and really liked both of them but they do not have the RS2e in stock so I couldn't try them. I am concerned if I get the RS2i and will be regretting not getting the RS2e. Are the e-series RS2s a great deal better than the i-series?

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #4,436 of 6,729
I listened to both of them and really liked both of them but they do not have the RS2e in stock so I couldn't try them. I am concerned if I get the RS2i and will be regretting not getting the RS2e. Are the e-series RS2s a great deal better than the i-series?

Like all "e" series, it is a slight departure from RS2i.  The RS2e has more bass, fuller mids and toned down treble. There is also more clarity in mids and more detail overall. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4,437 of 6,729
  Definitely!

There is something about Grado which is utterly compelling. Now, I'm a mainly classical listenier, with many excursions as I love music and sound, if you see what I mean. I have, well, you can check my profile if you care about it, but I have several decent and above-decent headphones. Grado, Grado is just more vivid and real in terms of timbre and realism. It's just there. It's not for everything, but it is very, very special.

I may be in trouble here.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4,438 of 6,729
I have the 500e, fantastic headphone for classical and jazz. Prefer the G's for symphonic music and L's for jazz, chamber, and rock.

Helpful, very helpful. Opinion is so divided, but I am tempted to put in an order and see what happens... thank you so much Wildcatsare1!

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4,439 of 6,729
I have somewhat related my Grado experiences in the fan club thread.. very briefly, I was given an SR60i which so impressed me that, after much reading, I ordered a pair of RS-1i. What arrived was a transitional red driver RS-1i/e which is really underwhelming. It does some things well, but has well-documented faults. I'm thinking of trying again... I can't go as far as the PS1000e, but am thinking about the PS500e or SR325e. The sound of the RS-1i/e lacks depth and is easily overwhelmed by larger orchestral forces. What should I try next? Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you bought them very recently, you could have a case for return and refund. You tried to buy the i-version, but you have effectively been sold the e-version. You have a case for 'item not as described'.

The shop will probably argue that they are i-version. However you can argue back. This link I started over my SR225i with e-drivers has pretty much all the argument you need. http://www.head-fi.org/t/754371/grado-sri-red-drivers-are-they-sre-drivers/15#post_11448327 Post 26 has the definitive link in it, but the entire thread is full of opinion on the situation.

You have a strong case, and I also suspect the store you bought from is aware of the RS1e reputation. They will be glad to see you not return, so disappoint them and take them back.

If you think of it the other way around. E.g. you bought 'e' but were sold 'i'; you'd instantly return the item. I know many buyers like myself are glad to have received an e-version, with almost any other model. In your this case you have received a sound you absolutely did not purchase. You can argue you knew that the RS1i sound was what you wanted.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,440 of 6,729
   Grado, Grado is just more vivid and real in terms of timbre and realism. It's just there. It's not for everything, but it is very, very special.

I may be in trouble here.

Anytime I describe Grado's, I use the same description.
In my case I do not listen to Classical, I am mainly to all all types of Jazz among other Genre's, so in my case there is nothing like the Grado sound for my listening preferences. I have also had some HP's that are very reputable and found I enjoy the Grados much, much more. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back