Grado durability issues ?
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #61 of 190
you're leaving? there is a God!
don't quote my posts and you'll be fine
oh wait, he didn't leave. I got all excited for nothing.

Guess we'll have to continue reading from irrational apologies for Grado's sub-par build quality. It's actually a sign of how good they are that they're not well-built! Woohoo!
oh dear. has reading comprehension rapidly declined since this thread was revived? try reading my posts rather than misrepresenting them.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #62 of 190
Exactly.

Even if we were to entertain this apples vs oranges comparison, if the dress watches of manufacturer X were less well-built than the dress watches of other manufacturers, he would argue that their flimsier build is proof of their superiority....for some reason that I can't fathom.
trying to keep you and @Cruelhand Luke honest is exhausting. like him, you are missing or ignoring my point, which i have made repeatedly now, as well as twisting my logic to suit your purposes. let's put my dress watch example aside and return to headphones and the thread topic, which is about grado (headphone) durability issues.

as i have said repeatedly now, i am not defending grado's build quality. i have already acknowledged that it is not class leading. i own grado headphones and some totl headphones from other manufacturers which exude superior build quality and finishing in comparison. one of them died due to a driver failure and was repaired under warranty. the others are more susceptible to cosmetic damage than the grados because of their fine finishes. one of them has a known design flaw that can lead to an ear cup dropping off without warning. none of them look or feel particularly robust, so i handle them with considerable care.

the grados do not appear to be as well built/made and finished as my totl headphones. i treat them a little more casually and have never had a durability issue with them. i hasten to repeat that i am only speaking from my personal experience (and i accept yours) but i wouldn't be making any generalisations about the build quality and durability of all grado headphones on that basis - ymmv. so again, build quality does not equate to durability imo and ime. i could cite a number of products that have excellent build quality that are neither robust or durable, but as you are likely to dismiss them as "apple vs oranges" comparisons, then i see little point in doing so. i trust that you understand even if you don't agree.

returning to your critique of my dress watch example, your reasoning is flawed because you are conflating build quality with durability, just as @Cruelhand Luke has been doing. you are also attributing an argument to me that i would never make - that "flimsier build is proof of (their) superiority", which is absurd. so are you going to resort to calling me an "outlier" and creepy cult member again? :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #63 of 190
Conversations like this are what led me to start saying Grado is a cult...clearly it's a joke I like to make, but it's coming from a sincere place. The guys argument that he repeatedly circles back to (making himself dizzy in the process) is basically: MY Grados haven't broken, therefore there is no proof that Grados aren't built well. Then he spins around and around trying to come up with logical arguments to bolster his feelings. Yes, some things are finely and delicately made... but we are talking about headphones. There are certain standards a manufacturer can meet, or not, to insure their headphones are durably built and therefore reliable. Grados don't meet certain standards, and are therefore less reliable, in a general sense. But, Grado fans will do backflips to get you to NOT look at those things. You notice in all this back and forth I keep bringing up specifics: gimbals, rod blocks, headbands....the other fella wants to talk about dress watches for some reason. It's a specific thing I see with Grado more than any other brand.
i'm happy to have a debate but i won't allow you to get away with continually and deliberately misconstruing what i have posted in this thread. the dizzyness that i (light-heartedly) referred to was in response to our exchange, which had become circular. i stated that i have not experienced any durability issues with my grados, but i never said nor implied that "therefore there is no proof that grados aren't built well". you're the one who has been conflating the issue of grado build quality with their durability, whereas i have been making a distinction between them. the dress watch was just one example of a product which could be well built or made, but not necessarily durable, and i also referred to the totl headphones that i own in support of that point. my motivation for countering your assertions and generalisations hasn't been to "bolster" my "feelings", but to provide another perspective, which you clearly have difficulty respecting, let alone accepting. try grasping this concept - i own headphones from different manufacturers, including grado, which makes me a headphone fan - ok? with respect to the specific parts of grado headphones that you refer to and are clearly critical of, i've simply not had a problem with their durability, and that's what the thread topic is about, right? finally, if you can't make an argument without making up falsehoods, then don't bother trying.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #64 of 190
Conversations like this are what led me to start saying Grado is a cult...clearly it's a joke I like to make, but it's coming from a sincere place. The guys argument that he repeatedly circles back to (making himself dizzy in the process) is basically: MY Grados haven't broken, therefore there is no proof that Grados aren't built well. Then he spins around and around trying to come up with logical arguments to bolster his feelings. Yes, some things are finely and delicately made... but we are talking about headphones. There are certain standards a manufacturer can meet, or not, to insure their headphones are durably built and therefore reliable. Grados don't meet certain standards, and are therefore less reliable, in a general sense. But, Grado fans will do backflips to get you to NOT look at those things. You notice in all this back and forth I keep bringing up specifics: gimbals, rod blocks, headbands....the other fella wants to talk about dress watches for some reason. It's a specific thing I see with Grado more than any other brand.
My guess is that he's trying to protect his financial investment. Probably owns Grados and doesn't want their value to drop if it's known how non-durable they are. IMO, the point of a forum like this is to share valuable info with other consumers, not try to squelch negative information that people should know.

I've owned three pairs of Grados. LOVE their sound. It's probably my favorite sound. But I'm an honest person and will share the truth that all three of my pairs died from cable disintegration. I have one pair that I still can use, but I have to position the cable just right and not move.

Again, if Grado would just do the obvious thing and put cable jacks into the cups of their headphones, their durability would increase exponentially.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #65 of 190
oh dear. has reading comprehension rapidly declined since this thread was revived? try reading my posts rather than misrepresenting them.

Oh my. Has basic logic eroded so severely since this thread was revived? Try writing posts that don't use pretzel logic.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #66 of 190
finally, if you can't make an argument without making up falsehoods, then don't bother trying.
good heavens! the pot is calling the kettle black!

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #67 of 190
as i have said repeatedly now, i am not defending grado's build quality.

Well, it's pretty indefensible, so good on ya!

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #68 of 190
with respect to the specific parts of grado headphones that you refer to and are clearly critical of, i've simply not had a problem with their durability.

Which is why you're an outlier.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #69 of 190
i'm happy to have a debate but i won't allow you to get away with continually and deliberately misconstruing what i have posted in this thread.

Well, trying to construe your nonsense makes me dizzy. I've had to take Dramamine several times after reading your posts, which exhibit brain-bending twists of logic and daring flights of irrationality.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #71 of 190
the grados do not appear to be as well built/made and finished as my totl headphones.

They're not even as well built as a lot of botl headphones.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #73 of 190
Jun 14, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #74 of 190
here's a good video for those of you who have Grados with bad cables:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back