Grado durability issues ?
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #31 of 190
so you bought them used. thanks for disclosing that salient point.
I wouldn't pay full retail for any Grado. 1) with all the DIY options out there, I can cobble one together myself one for less money 2) I know a guy, I can get a great price on Grados...

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #32 of 190
So, you're willing to believe in the durability based on your own personal anecdotal evidence, but to disprove your assumption you need data? Other, multiple anecdotes are not sufficient...OK, I get it.
no, you clearly don't get it at all. i've made no such assumptions. i refer you back to my posts where you will find that i have only spoken from my own experience with grado headphones. i'm not in the habit of making sweeping generalisations - ymmv.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #33 of 190
I wouldn't pay full retail for any Grado. 1) with all the DIY options out there, I can cobble one together myself one for less money 2) I know a guy, I can get a great price on Grados...
tinker away but that's beside the point really. complaining about the durability of used gear can be a stretch.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #34 of 190
tinker away but that's beside the point really. complaining about the durability of used gear can be a stretch.
Ohhhhh, so that's your angle? Got it.
Look, the Grados, were literally only used a few times, I know what 'like new condition' feels like. You're trying to say I don't know what I am talking about because my headphones weren't purchased retail? I have modded dozens of headphones, I know how things come apart, go back together etc. The Grados are fragile compared to most headphones, especially at their price point. Don't get me wrong, they are really fun to mod, they are put together in an interesting way, they achieve a lot with a minimal amount of work...but they cut corners.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #35 of 190
Ohhhhh, so that's your angle? Got it.
Look, the Grados, were literally only used a few times, I know what 'like new condition' feels like. You're trying to say I don't know what I am talking about because my headphones weren't purchased retail? I have modded dozens of headphones, I know how things come apart, go back together etc. The Grados are fragile compared to most headphones, especially at their price point. Don't get me wrong, they are really fun to mod, they are put together in an interesting way, they achieve a lot with a minimal amount of work...but they cut corners.
it's not my "angle", but it is a factor that can't be ignored when someone complains about the durability of a product

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #36 of 190
it's not my "angle", but it is a factor that can't be ignored when someone complains about the durability of a product
Yeah, it can be ignored, as I said, they were in like new condition..... Unless your position is that Grados are so fragile that after less than a dozen times being used they can be expected to start having issues? Because, really that is what you are saying, since my headphones were used a handful of times, one couldn't possibly expect them to hold up compared to a set of headphones that have never been touched.

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #37 of 190
Yeah, it can be ignored, as I said, they were in like new condition..... Unless your position is that Grados are so fragile that after less than a dozen times being used they can be expected to start having issues? Because, really that is what you are saying, since my headphones were used a handful of times, one couldn't possibly expect them to hold up compared to a set of headphones that have never been touched.
you continue to make erroneous assumptions about my position on this thread topic. i'll take your word for it that your used grados weren't misused or damaged by the previous owner.

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #38 of 190
cult members are creepy

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #39 of 190
Jun 13, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #41 of 190
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #43 of 190
yep, that's anecdotal evidence alright. i'll leave you to gather more of it. enjoy!
What I'd truly enjoy is if Grado built their headphones better. I love the Grado sound. But those cables....yuck. There's a reason why recabling Grados is an industry whose total revenue is greater than some Third World countries.

As one wise person wrote, Grado would do themselves and their customers a favor by just installing jacks in the cup so cables could be removable.
grado_mod5.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #44 of 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back