Grado durability issues ?
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #182 of 190
some do and some don't. repeating your assertions does not make them universally applicable.
We know you're trying to protect your investment in your expensive Grados, so your statements on the subject are dubious, to be kind.

I've owned two SR80s and one MS1. All three became unusable due to cable failure.

The more expensive Grados have thicker cables, so they will last longer. But they still use the same bad design.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #184 of 190
We know you're trying to protect your investment in your expensive Grados, so your statements on the subject are dubious, to be kind.

I've owned two SR80s and one MS1. All three became unusable due to cable failure.

The more expensive Grados have thicker cables, so they will last longer. But they still use the same bad design.
seriously, is there no limit to your trolling? that is the second time that you have made that insinuation and it's even more insulting this time around. do i really need to direct you back to my two previous replies in which i refuted it? do i really need to remind you that not only do i have no intention of selling my ps1000, i also own two prestige models that have not failed on me either? i can provide you with the numbers of those posts if necessary.

i'm sure that anyone who has been following this thread would be well aware of your personal experience with grado headphones. that has never been in dispute but your extrapolations from it most definitely are.

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #185 of 190
I'm always surprised when people report that kind of issues with their Grados. I had a GS1000i for seven years and have had a GS2000 for almost three years and experienced no problems at all - And I did nothing special, just common sense care. Perhaps their production or quality control process isn't consistent?

As I recall, the RS-1 had a hole drilled into the earcup where the steel post was inserted. That post was held into place with some sort of a glue.

In my case there probably just wasn't enough glue. It was a quick and easy fix.

My RS-1's were no longer under warranty, but even if they were I would have fixed it myself the same way to avoid the shipping hassle as I'm pretty sure that's all Grado would have done.

I've had no other issues.

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #186 of 190
Ok, it's time for me to come clean. I was just having a laugh. I've never even owned a pair of Grados! LOL

The truth is, my brother owns a pair of PS1000's and I compared them with my modded Koss KSC75's (I put them in a headband)....and the KSC75's blew the Grados away in sound quality. I had my brother listen, and he was VERY sad to admit that the KSC75s sounded better. A $15 headphone that sounds better than a $1200 headphone? Incredible. Mind-blowing really.

My advice to everyone I know, and on every forum, is to buy Koss KSC75s. For $15 you get sound that can beat even $1200 Grados. Better sound, more comfortable and much more portable. At 1/80 the price!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #187 of 190
Ok, it's time for me to come clean. I was just having a laugh. I've never even owned a pair of Grados! LOL

The truth is, my brother owns a pair of PS1000's and I compared them with my modded Koss KSC75's (I put them in a headband)....and the KSC75's blew the Grados away in sound quality. I had my brother listen, and he was VERY sad to admit that the KSC75s sounded better. A $15 headphone that sounds better than a $1200 headphone? Incredible. Mind-blowing really.

My advice to everyone I know, and on every forum, is to buy Koss KSC75s. For $15 you get sound that can beat even $1200 Grados. Better sound, more comfortable and much more portable. At 1/80 the price!
You're a fool, the Porta Pro is a much better headphone!!
hehehe....have you tried the Yaxi pads? Totally worth the $12 or whatever it was I spent on them.
I don't have the same feeling about the sound as you do ...comparing my 325e to the Porta Pro I prefer the Grado, it is a better sounding headphone...however it is dangerously close in terms of sound quality, which speaks very well of Koss and not so much for Grado....and frankly, even though it is a funky design, I give them the edge in build quality. Think about it...for $37 (including the pads) the Porta Pros have better build, similar quality materials and a lifetime warranty. Retail on the 325e is about 10 times the Porta Pro, they should be waaaay better than the Koss, but that just isn't the case.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #188 of 190
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #189 of 190

Wow, consider yourself extremely lucky. I have Koss KSC75 and Koss Porta Pro both but to my ears, these don't hold a candle against the Grados that I have heard and/or own. They are one of the best bang for the buck for sure but I definitely prefer Grado. I guess it is true that everyone hears different and that is why I am able to purchase many headphones in the used market for way below the retail price. If you go over to the thread asking what is the most hyped and/or disappointed headphones that you have heard, just about every headphones that are popular cited as being the worst or hyped. This is hobby, enjoy what you like. Happy listening.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #190 of 190
Wow, consider yourself extremely lucky. I have Koss KSC75 and Koss Porta Pro both but to my ears, these don't hold a candle against the Grados that I have heard and/or own. They are one of the best bang for the buck for sure but I definitely prefer Grado. I guess it is true that everyone hears different and that is why I am able to purchase many headphones in the used market for way below the retail price. If you go over to the thread asking what is the most hyped and/or disappointed headphones that you have heard, just about every headphones that are popular cited as being the worst or hyped. This is hobby, enjoy what you like. Happy listening.
yes, it's true that everyone's ears are different...and tastes are different...so no one headphone will please everybody.

For me, it's pretty simple. I need clarity, no muffled sound. I like crisp highs and robust bass. Midrange I'm not quite as passionate about...it just needs to be there...and it usually is on most headphones.

The KSC75's, like Grado SR80's give me the sound I love. Haven't found anything I like more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back