Grado durability issues ?
Jun 17, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #137 of 190
I've owned a few Grados over the years (SR60, SR225, RS-1, HF2, GS1000 and PS1000) and there are the usual things I disliked about all of them (kinked cables, the earcups that constantly rotate and slide down the poles). I've even had an earcup fall off the steel post on my RS-1's while I was wearing them.

I was pretty shocked this happened, but I just got some epoxy and put it back in place. Not a huge deal.

All these things were (are) a PITA and I've accepted that a Grado headphone is just irritating sometimes.

The sound they produce, however, makes all the aforementioned irritations easily tolerable.

I'm always surprised when people report that kind of issues with their Grados. I had a GS1000i for seven years and have had a GS2000 for almost three years and experienced no problems at all - And I did nothing special, just common sense care. Perhaps their production or quality control process isn't consistent?

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #138 of 190
I'm kind of surprised that people would be accepting of a headphone falling apart on their head just because they enjoy how they sound. That's just crazy to me.
super glue

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #139 of 190
I'm always surprised when people report that kind of issues with their Grados. I had a GS1000i for seven years and have had a GS2000 for almost three years and experienced no problems at all - And I did nothing special, just common sense care. Perhaps their production or quality control process isn't consistent?
ahh, the old smug "common sense" argument. As if those of us whose Grados have fallen apart are somehow lacking in common sense.

Well, nice try, but I treat all my headphones the same way. I plug them into a sound source, put them on my head and listen to music. When I'm finished, I take them off my head and lay them down on a flat surface.

What do you do differently?

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #141 of 190
I'd think even reasonable levels of standards would dictate you shouldn't need to super glue together your headphones to stop them from falling apart. Unless you bought them from a dollar store.
but but but....Grados are like fine dress watches! Their fragility is proof of their quality! Didn't you read this thread?

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #143 of 190
Jun 17, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #145 of 190
I'm kind of surprised that people would be accepting of a headphone falling apart on their head just because they enjoy how they sound. That's just crazy to me.
I agree, and I am also surprised at the level of acceptance that people will tolerate because they enjoy the sound of their Grado. I am basically referring to the more expensive ones, as I have no experience with any of the below $500 Grados. However, that is up to the buyer to continue to purchases headphones from them, or not. As much as I enjoy their sound with electric guitar, I choose not to support the company by not buying their products. I would like to point out, that the headphones I had were never broken. It was the feel, the worry of them falling apart. I worried every time I put them on and took them off. Did not want to deal with that. Here is a post I made a few months ago, before this post was brought back from the dead. Also I will not reply any further, as I don't want to argue about my opinion.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/page-2638#post-14920535

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #149 of 190
ahh, the old smug "common sense" argument. As if those of us whose Grados have fallen apart are somehow lacking in common sense.

Well, nice try, but I treat all my headphones the same way. I plug them into a sound source, put them on my head and listen to music. When I'm finished, I take them off my head and lay them down on a flat surface.

What do you do differently?
If the Quality was as bad aS YOU SAY...THEY WOULD
but but but....Grados are like fine dress watches! Their fragility is proof of their quality! Didn't you read this thread?
Man...give it a rest. 3 days? GDS on full display.

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #150 of 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back