Grado durability issues ?
Jun 15, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #121 of 190
cool. so, do you really mean to tell me that the quality of the plastic they use in the rod blocks is up to par? You see NO probblem with them selling $1,800 headphones, with those rod blocks?
"up to par"? compared to what? anyway, i'll try to answer your question as best i can. i would prefer it if the ps1000 had come with metal rod blocks, but the plastic rod blocks have worked perfectly well and have also been durable in my case, and so has the cable btw. i haven't considered selling my ps1000 so your second question doesn't apply to me. but if i were considering selling it, then it would be offered as stock.
aaaand? come on...you didn't finish the thought, .."AND the experience of all the other people that love their Grados, but are willing to admit they are flawed."
it's not just one persons experience.
as i've been saying consistently in my posts, i can only speak for myself. i wouldn't presume to speak for other grado owners - ymmv and obviously does.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #122 of 190
"up to par"? compared to what? anyway, i'll try to answer your question as best i can. i would prefer it if the ps1000 had come with metal rod blocks, but the plastic rod blocks have worked perfectly well and have also been durable in my case, and so has the cable btw. i haven't considered selling my ps1000 so your second question doesn't apply to me. but if i were considering selling it, then it would be offered as stock.

as i've been saying consistently in my posts, i can only speak for myself. i wouldn't presume to speak for other grado owners - ymmv and obviously does.
Have you mentioned before that you have the ps1000?
I certainly missed it if you did.
Everything is illuminated, I understand your position now.

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #123 of 190
Believe it or not, but I actually have a pair of PS1000s with me at this very moment. They are my brother's. The build of the metal cups is really nice. The cable is thicker than in the less expensive Grados, but still prone to the same twisting and kinking.The rods and blocks seem pretty much the same. The headband is very slightly better than on the SR80s, but that's pretty sad considering the price of these babies.

I haven't had a chance yet to do an A/B comparison of sound with my SR80s....but so far, from listening with the PS1000s, i'm not hearing a sound that is substantially Superior to the lower-priced Grados. But again, havent had a chance to do a straight A/B comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #124 of 190
Serious question?
you really don't care that the rod blocks and gimbals are the same as the SR60?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 15, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #126 of 190
nope and the gimbals aren't the same anyway
oh? well, la di da! ....lol...my bad. You are wonderful. Bless you friend.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #127 of 190
nope and the gimbals aren't the same anyway
I noticed the ps1000 comes with the salad bowl pads, so I took out the salad bowls pads I got off Amazon and I put them on my 325e....I bet they sound pretty much the same, and I can see why you like it...very spaceful in the tone! Love it.

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #129 of 190
Ok, well, hate to be proven wrong...But you

yeah, you're right it is odd...pretty odd...

prove me wrong and i'll acknowledge it, ok?
no i haven't, but it's there on my profile page tho i don't list all of my gear there. i also own a couple of prestige series grados, so i'm not sure what you mean by "everything is illuminated". and i had made my position clear to you back on page two of this thread.

ps glad to see that the moderator has disinfected the thread (and no, i didn't report your posts), which has well and truly run its course as far as i'm concerned

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #130 of 190
IMO, Grados are like the hole-in-the-wall diner that serves fantastic food on paper plates with plastic utensils, while having you sit on mismatched chairs.

To some, the taste is the most important. Others feel the whole dining experience to be important.

Where you place your sonic importance is likely where you'll land as far as Grados are concerned.

I choose taste.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #131 of 190
IMO, Grados are like the hole-in-the-wall diner that serves fantastic food on paper plates with plastic utensils, while having you sit on mismatched chairs.

To some, the taste is the most important. Others feel the whole dining experience to be important.

Where you place your sonic importance is likely where you'll land as far as Grados are concerned.

I choose taste.
I like your metaphor. I also am about the taste first....just don't try to tell me that the paper plates and plastic forks are just as good as the porcelain plates and flatware available at the majority restaurants. The higher up the Grado ladder you go the worse it gets. I mean, maybe the PS1000 has Waygu Poterhouse sound.....But you are still serving it on a paper plate and I have to cut it with a plastic knife...so I am a little put off having to pay the same prices as the restaurant that makes an effort to put it on nice plate and provide me with a proper knife and fork.....
and then insult is added to injury when certain fanatics of that Grado restaurant try to gaslight me and deny it and act like there is an issue with me because I object to drinking my wine out of a Solo cup while paying top prices. Grado guys will sit there at the next table and go, "Tastes good to me, oh look I was able to cut my steak just fine! Nom nom nom, hey look this plastic fork just got a piece of steak into my mouth, it must not be a problem!"
The table is wobbly, the plates suck, but I am still paying top dollar? Thats an issue. Then you get cult members popping up going , "The plates are a pretty good grade of paper, and MY plastic fork has never broken, so what's the problem?"

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #132 of 190
I like your metaphor. I also am about the taste first....just don't try to tell me that the paper plates and plastic forks are just as good as the porcelain plates and flatware available at the majority restaurants. The higher up the Grado ladder you go the worse it gets. I mean, maybe the PS1000 has Waygu Poterhouse sound.....But you are still serving it on a paper plate and I have to cut it with a plastic knife...so I am a little put off having to pay the same prices as the restaurant that makes an effort to put it on nice plate and provide me with a proper knife and fork.....
and then insult is added to injury when certain fanatics of that Grado restaurant try to gaslight me and deny it and act like there is an issue with me because I object to drinking my wine out of a Solo cup while paying top prices. Grado guys will sit there at the next table and go, "Tastes good to me, oh look I was able to cut my steak just fine! Nom nom nom, hey look this plastic fork just got a piece of steak into my mouth, it must not be a problem!"
The table is wobbly, the plates suck, but I am still paying top dollar? Thats an issue. Then you get cult members popping up going , "The plates are a pretty good grade of paper, and MY plastic fork has never broken, so what's the problem?"

This is greatness. The top end of Grado is still a hanger steak though...not a porterhouse.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #133 of 190
This is greatness. The top end of Grado is still a hanger steak though...not a porterhouse.
I was trying to be kind with that porterhouse bit....plus? hanger steak is a better metaphor, but a less well known cut of meat.I also thought about calling Grados a Flatiron...

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #134 of 190

I choose taste.
I chose taste. Three times...But after three failed pairs of Grados, I'm not sure I'd choose them again. Not unless I can get much better at soldering.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #135 of 190
I've owned a few Grados over the years (SR60, SR225, RS-1, HF2, GS1000 and PS1000) and there are the usual things I disliked about all of them (kinked cables, the earcups that constantly rotate and slide down the poles). I've even had an earcup fall off the steel post on my RS-1's while I was wearing them.

I was pretty shocked this happened, but I just got some epoxy and put it back in place. Not a huge deal.

All these things were (are) a PITA and I've accepted that a Grado headphone is just irritating sometimes.

The sound they produce, however, makes all the aforementioned irritations easily tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back