Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Dec 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #336 of 771
I was on the fence whether I was actually signing up for a preorder versus actually purchasing them. I wonder how Grado and Turntable is working out the ordering. I wonder if this is the end of the limited run... or if they'll keep leaking a few out every month. Either way, I'm glad it was an actual order! 

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #338 of 771
Damn I wanted one of these :frowning2: signed up to get noticed and all...

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #339 of 771
The more I listen to the Bushmills, the more I like them.

This afternoon I was listening to a reel to reel tape copy of a mix of some of my favorite songs made from CDs, using my trusty old 1973 Pioneer RT-1020L, with the Busmills hooked up directly to the headphone output of my 1975 Marantz 2220B, and the result was just pure musical bliss.

When you think about it, the Bushmills have a lot going for them, here's a few, at 1/4th  the price of the PS1000, and 1/2 the price of the RS1i, the Bushmills are relatively affordable. They also have the best presentation of ANY Grado headphones by a longshot, I know, I know, the ''pizza box'' is not very hard to beat. They're very light wich makes them very comfortable. but then, I have Grado hears (smallish) so YMMV on this one though. They are a limited edition, well, they're supposed to be anyway, wich means, that they not only should hold they're value, but they may even appreciate in time.

Of course, all of this wouldn't mean much, if they didn't sound good, but pesonnally, I think that they're among the best sounding, and best looking Grados out there. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #340 of 771
If experienced Grado fans continue to rave about these, Grado may well develop a vented model.
It would be a good thing and easy to do especially if they didn't have to use old whiskey barrels...

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #341 of 771
But maybe the old whiskey barrels are the key? :wink:

I too am enjoying them a lot. I still think the RS1 sounds better. While the Bushmills have more bass they don't have the clarity of the RS1. things sound more cluttered with the Bushmills and the mids are still a bit harsh to my ears. The treble is also not as refinined and to me sounds a lot like the SR60 treble. Maybe more burn in will improve things. But don't get me wrong it's not a night and day difference between the RS1 and Bushmills but we are all here to nitpick aren't we? If Grado ever does an improved Bushmills that can have the finesse of the RS1 I wouldn't hesitate to spend $700+ on them.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #342 of 771
I get what your saying but at the same time...I think the Bushmills are nearly perfect....for a $400 headphone. Well, perfect for a $400 Grado. For my taste at least. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #344 of 771
Yeah, I would too. In fact, I'm getting ready to spring on a pair of GS1000. I'll try them head to head and keep the one I like best. But I'd certainly pay more for a more refined Bushmills style Grado. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #345 of 771
  Yeah, I would too. In fact, I'm getting ready to spring on a pair of GS1000. I'll try them head to head and keep the one I like best. But I'd certainly pay more for a more refined Bushmills style Grado.

I haven't compared the Bushmills to my GS1000, but I've had my GS for 7 years now, and what I can say for certain, is that the GS have a more recessed midrange, a bigger soundstage, and a hotter overall sound signature.

Keep in mind that my GS1000 are the older, non ''i'' model.

For what it's worth, I still think that the Bushmills are a major no brainer, one can even add a Little Dot 1+, for less than the cost of the PS500 alone, talk about a great little setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back