JAG

100+ Head-Fier
Grado 325 retail.........295.00
Grado RS2 retail ........495.00
Grado RS1 retail.........725.00

Is RS1 150% better than SR325?
Is RS2 the better bang for buck?
Or is the best value the SR325?

I realize that $$ spent does not necessarily correlate with quality differences, but as a practical matter it seems (at least to me) that the SR325 is the way to go.

Apr 16, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 13
such was my choice (post hd600). the chamber depth seemed to be meaningful 225 -> 325. i concluded from that, that the RS-2 wasn't to my taste, so it came down to 325/RS-1. too many bongo bucks difference. also, i was leary of the wood. wood does respond (generally not nicely) to temperature and humidity. there have been a couple of threads about cracking cups (OK for girl friends...........)
very_evil_smiley.gif

mine took a verrrrrrrrrry long time to break-in. some have suggested in recent threads that grados need regular exercise. i'm beginning to think that such may be true.

Apr 16, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by JAG
Grado 325 retail.........295.00
Grado RS2 retail ........495.00
Grado RS1 retail.........725.00

Is RS1 150% better than SR325?
Is RS2 the better bang for buck?
Or is the best value the SR325?

I realize that $$ spent does not necessarily correlate with quality differences, but as a practical matter it seems (at least to me) that the SR325 is the way to go.

I am often guilty of trying turn the sound I hear into some number or some exact relationship but really … sound isn't science, not while people still do the listening You can't quantify quality anymore than you can quantify art. Is a Monet more bang for the buck than a van Gogh. Its all a mater of opinion, education, and, unfortunately, wealth. I don't think anyone could answer the question unless they had your hearing, your experience with sound, and your bank account.

Apr 16, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 13
Besides the rather substantial price difference between the RS1 and the SR325, there is also a marked difference in sound. Not sound quality, because they are both excellent headphones, but they differ in their sonic presentation. The RS1, to my ears, is a rather warm 'phone, particularly with the flat pads it originally came with, with a fullness in the lower midrange which contributes greatly to this warmth.
The 325s, again, to my ears, seem to emphasize the upper mids, and have more bass slam than the RS1s. The high end can be a bit much at times. This is never, at least for me, a problem with the RS1s.
In the end, you really need to audition these two to make a wise choice........they are that different. Of course, this is just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 13
In that price range I would say go with a pair of Grado HP-2s. Much better and better sounding.

Apr 16, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

In that price range I would say go with a pair of Grado HP-2s. Much better and better sounding.

Yeah, but where do you find them?
confused.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Yeah, but where do you find them?
confused.gif

In the words of Shrek, "Good question." I don't know. I mortaged off Christmas for hte next two years to get mine last month, and don't regret it. Be patient and keep an eye out on Audiogon and eBay, and one will pop up soon enough. I paid a premium for the HP-1s, but I was going to sell the Sonys or them when I got the chance. Now it looks like the Sonys may be on their way out next year. That is unless the long-term comfort of the Grados worsens. I bought 4 pairs of Senn 414 pads to stay that off as long as possible.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Why do I suspect that the title of this thread is predicting my upgrade path? Yikes.

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 13
I agree with joelongwood to the T. It'd be just as fair if Grado leveled the price between the 325s and RS-1s, they sound so different that it really does become a matter of preference as to which one is "better". Sure the RS-1 is built more fancily and costs more, but it is not necessarily the better one by default.

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by RacerX
Why do I suspect that the title of this thread is predicting my upgrade path? Yikes.

It won't end with the RS1s. The HP-1/2 will call your name once you hit the RS-1s.
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
It won't end with the RS1s. The HP-1/2 will call your name once you hit the RS-1s.
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

True, but then the hp-1/2 is a different beast from the rs-1's/325's completely. interesting that grado has made three headphones with three very different sound characteristics.

when i briefly auditioned them, i found the rs-1 more pleasing to my ears than the hp-2 out of a micro zotl... but this was a very brief comparison. the hp-2 sounded very detailed, but very neutral. the rs-1 kind of jumped out at me, and sounded very sweet.

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
True, but then the hp-1/2 is a different beast from the rs-1's/325's completely. interesting that grado has made three headphones with three very different sound characteristics.

when i briefly auditioned them, i found the rs-1 more pleasing to my ears than the hp-2 out of a micro zotl... but this was a very brief comparison. the hp-2 sounded very detailed, but very neutral. the rs-1 kind of jumped out at me, and sounded very sweet.

You've caught the big difference between the HP series and the RS series. The RS series has a distinct musical signature. The HP series is a neutral reference monitor. Far more suitable to actual studio work, where it has been used. Grado Labs has only sold the 325 and the RS-1. The HP-series was designed by Joe Grado, not John, and was marketed by a different company, even though it had the Grado name.

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 13
I have owned both of the comparable Alessandro phones, the MS-II (SR-325) and the MS-Pro (RS-1). To me the MS-II has a much more blanaced presentation. The MS-Pro had a very smooth midrange, however I had a much greater problem with sibiliance with the MS-Pro compared to the MS-II. The MS-II also had tighter sounding bass but did not reach as low as the MS-Pro. Overall, I prefer the sound of the MS-II so I have since sold the MS-Pro's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back