Grado 225s a step up from Senn HD-280s?
Jun 27, 2008 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Riggaberto

100+ Head-Fier
Would spending $200 on Grado 225's be an upgrade from the Sennheiser HD-280s I currently own? The sources would be primarily a Macbook Pro straight up audio jack (unless anyone has advice for a good soundcard add on that's not huge), and a record player.

The HD280s sound decent, but even on FLACs I get distortion on some higher end sounds. Good example of something I can't stand:

Radiohead-Weird Fishes/Arpeggi: slight distortion at 0:14, and from 0:26 on when the next guitar layer comes in there's horrible distortion in the left channel. I cant even listen to the song. It crackles like no other. Maybe my headphones are just busted or something but it's horrible.

I get random distortion in other cases as well; most songs are okay, but enough of them get that problem that I want new headphones.

So in short, would the 225s be a worthwhile upgrade? Thank you for good advice, I appreciate it greatly.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would spending $200 on Grado 225's be an upgrade from the Sennheiser HD-280s I currently own? The sources would be primarily a Macbook Pro straight up audio jack (unless anyone has advice for a good soundcard add on that's not huge), and a record player.

The HD280s sound decent, but even on FLACs I get distortion on some higher end sounds. Good example of something I can't stand:

Radiohead-Weird Fishes/Arpeggi: slight distortion at 0:14, and from 0:26 on when the next guitar layer comes in there's horrible distortion in the left channel. I cant even listen to the song. It crackles like no other. Maybe my headphones are just busted or something but it's horrible.

I get random distortion in other cases as well; most songs are okay, but enough of them get that problem that I want new headphones.

So in short, would the 225s be a worthwhile upgrade? Thank you for good advice, I appreciate it greatly.

what program do you use to play the FLAC with

but yes, the grados will be a step up. 280s are closed which limits its soundstage. you'll notice a difference with the 225s. although it also depends on the music you listen to. grados are more for rock while i think the 280s are really bassy so they would be for hip hop

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 43
check your media player first. then check your MacBook. The problem isn't from HD280 I guess.

Probably you may need to spend your $200 for new source instead.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 43
I'm guessing they distort because the Macbook's headphone output isn't able to deliver enough power to drive the headphones to the listening level you want.

How about trying a small amp?

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 43
100% sure it's either the recording or the Macbook. The HD-280's are fine phones, although I prefer the SR-225's by a very significant margin.

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% sure it's either the recording or the Macbook. The HD-280's are fine phones, although I prefer the SR-225's by a very significant margin.

Been there, done that, absolutely go for it and don't look back.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 43
Get an inexpensive amp/DAC combo (I use the Headroom Total Bithead) and you'll be golden. Both your 280s (I still use mine when I need isolation) and Grados will thank you.

225s are very nice, 325is are nicer, but not everyone can stand their crazy/beautiful sound.

Also, one thing you might not be used to with the Grados is actually turning your equalizer off. I find the 280s sound best with a mild "rock" curve to mellow their honky mids, Grados neither need nor react very well to crazy headphone fanatics fooling around with the EQ sliders.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 43
I preferred someone else's Grado SR80s to my old HD-280 pros
tongue.gif
In short, yes, I believe they will be quite a worthwhile upgrade.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, one thing you might not be used to with the Grados is actually turning your equalizer off. I find the 280s sound best with a mild "rock" curve to mellow their honky mids, Grados neither need nor react very well to crazy headphone fanatics fooling around with the EQ sliders.
wink.gif

So true, especially with a nice head amp. The internal line out from Intel based MacBook's sucks big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back