Grado 225s a step up from Senn HD-280s?
Jun 27, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an inexpensive amp/DAC combo (I use the Headroom Total Bithead) and you'll be golden. Both your 280s (I still use mine when I need isolation) and Grados will thank you.

The hd280 doesn't need an amp at all, although it can benefit from the dac. Amping my hd280 did not give me any improvement what so ever. =P

I'm sure the Grado will benefit from an amp though.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what program do you use to play the FLAC with

but yes, the grados will be a step up. 280s are closed which limits its soundstage. you'll notice a difference with the 225s. although it also depends on the music you listen to. grados are more for rock while i think the 280s are really bassy so they would be for hip hop

HD 280s? Bassy? Compared to Grados they are as neutral as it gets.

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #19 of 43
Thank you everyone, more questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what program do you use to play the FLAC with

but yes, the grados will be a step up. 280s are closed which limits its soundstage. you'll notice a difference with the 225s. although it also depends on the music you listen to. grados are more for rock while i think the 280s are really bassy so they would be for hip hop

I don't have the macbook yet, I'll have one in a few months, but it will be my primary source. I'm using winamp right now with the most popular FLAC plugin they have on their site. I will actually use winamp on the macbook as well when in windows, and itunes while in mac mode, for my ipod.

I listen to a ton of hip hop and electronic music, the two combined make a plurality of the music I listen to, but it's still only like 20 percent. I listen to a big range, but good bass is important, both going low and having powerful presence.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check your media player first. then check your MacBook. The problem isn't from HD280 I guess.

Probably you may need to spend your $200 for new source instead.
wink.gif

What do you mean check it, and what do you mean new source? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing they distort because the Macbook's headphone output isn't able to deliver enough power to drive the headphones to the listening level you want.

How about trying a small amp?

What kind of cost are we looking at, and can I still use the headphone jack for the macbook? The reason I ask is it doesn't have another non-powered, or whatever the term is audio out. Suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% sure it's either the recording or the Macbook. The HD-280's are fine phones, although I prefer the SR-225's by a very significant margin.

The FLACS were done to 99.9 to 100 percent on EAC...

Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an inexpensive amp/DAC combo (I use the Headroom Total Bithead) and you'll be golden. Both your 280s (I still use mine when I need isolation) and Grados will thank you.

225s are very nice, 325is are nicer, but not everyone can stand their crazy/beautiful sound.

Also, one thing you might not be used to with the Grados is actually turning your equalizer off. I find the 280s sound best with a mild "rock" curve to mellow their honky mids, Grados neither need nor react very well to crazy headphone fanatics fooling around with the EQ sliders.
wink.gif

Tell me about the amp/DAC combo, what does DAC mean?
What are the differences between the 225s and the 325is? Why is the latter crazy and beautiful?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the general consensus is that the hd280's bass is definitely there and it extends really low, however, the impact of the bass is lacking.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I like the range but I want some more impact. Will the Grados deliver this?

Thanks again, you all have been very helpful. I'm a college student on a budget, but I really care about sound quality. I've been reluctant to get into this because of my low budget, but I have to at least get an amp and better cans. I'm maybe not ready to go taking apart a soundcard and improving it myself....yet.

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #20 of 43
What is your current setup now? (pc, laptop, and which sound card) The one that you have heard the distortion.

I think the distortion is from your source - sound card or possibly winamp.

What I mean checking is to make sure your files or players have no problem first. You can try playing FLAC with another program like foobar2000. If the problem disappear, then it's about winamp. If not, then check your headphone with other source such as mp3 players and headphone out from other stuff.

If there's no distortion, then the problem is your sound card. So you need to buy one to eliminate the distortion.

smily_headphones1.gif

here's the answer about DAC: Digital-to-analog converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here's the example of dac and amp combo:

HeadRoom Total BitHead @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/
Meier Audio

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 43
So what does the DAC do for sound then? And damn it, I just missed a meetup, I could have learned a lot.

I've had the issue in both foobar and winamp. I will try it from a different source, thanks.

My current setup is an HP Pavillion ZD8000, soundblaster audigy portable (dont know if that's exactly what it's called)

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use Mac pro i'll suggest you to just to listen Wav or Mp3 320k
instead of flac.
I personally got a lot of problem and distortion from flac even i rip my own CD.

Well basically I'll do lossless in windows & mp3s in mac, because of ipod/iphone/itunes. It just makes sense.

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what does the DAC do for sound then? And damn it, I just missed a meetup, I could have learned a lot.

I've had the issue in both foobar and winamp. I will try it from a different source, thanks.

My current setup is an HP Pavillion ZD8000, soundblaster audigy portable (dont know if that's exactly what it's called)

DACs basically convert the digital signal (your files) to analog signal then feed to the output e.g. analog out - headphone out, and RCA out.

You already have internal DAC too in your sound card, but the quality is quite poor.

However, as I mentioned, you need to try to use your headphone with another stuff like headphone out from your home receiver or your mp3 player such as iPod.

If the distortion still occur, then you may ask about "what DAC should we get for $200?" instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #25 of 43
How loud are you playing your music? I'm quite confident it's not your 280's that are the cause of the distortion. It takes a whole lot to get them to distort.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DACs basically convert the digital signal (your files) to analog signal then feed to the output e.g. analog out - headphone out, and RCA out.

You already have internal DAC too in your sound card, but the quality is quite poor.

However, as I mentioned, you need to try to use your headphone with another stuff like headphone out from your home receiver or your mp3 player such as iPod.

If the distortion still occur, then you may ask about "what DAC should we get for $200?" instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I just bought a total bithead because I'm on a budget, and that has a built in DAC as well, no? Well if my soundcard and ipod (and I assume my mac pro will as well) has a ****ty DAC built in, how does it work to have an external DAC that gets the crappy analogue signal to begin with?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation or something...

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 43
You have it a bit backwards. The external DAC will not receive any sort of analog signal at all. The external DAC itself is what will turn the digital signal INTO an analog signal (which goes to your headphones).

Think of the Total Bithead as bypassing your computer's sound processing altogether. It essentially becomes your new sound card.

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #28 of 43
When you connect your bithead to your laptop, the bithead will automatcially becomes your soundcard and everything will go through your bithead's dac instead of your laptop's built in one.

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So true, especially with a nice head amp. The internal line out from Intel based MacBook's sucks big time.

Yeah, I was surprised. The old G4 iBooks (I'm using one.
biggrin.gif
) aren't as bad, and even my lappy's headphone port is beaten by the newer iPod Classic, as long as you use Grados or other low-impedance phones.

EDIT: And I'll reiterate what everybody else is saying: the Bithead, as long as you connect it via USB will let you bypass your soundcard entirely, giving nice, clean audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #30 of 43
And to answer a question the original poster had for me, the 225s and 325is differ greatly in sound. The 325is have astounding brightness and treble detail that many people find tiring to listen to for any length of time. The 225s are closer in presentation to the SR80s, just with much better bass. They're quite a bit more... approachable.

If you're crazy like me, though, you'll love 'em to death in spite of their flaws.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back