Grado 225s a step up from Senn HD-280s?
Jun 30, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Project22a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have it a bit backwards. The external DAC will not receive any sort of analog signal at all. The external DAC itself is what will turn the digital signal INTO an analog signal (which goes to your headphones).

Think of the Total Bithead as bypassing your computer's sound processing altogether. It essentially becomes your new sound card.

Alright, that makes sense, I forgot it was USB.

But what about when you hook it to an ipod, that receives a signal that's already analogue, no? How's that work? Is it just an amp in that situation?

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #32 of 43
I like SR225's sound too, but I have had a comfort issue with Grado. Also, too many cans I have right now.
redface.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But what about when you hook it to an ipod, that receives a signal that's already analogue, no? How's that work? Is it just an amp in that situation?

You'll connect your iPod with Bithead via the analog input aka. line in (iPod dock out or phone out >> Bithead analog input) not the usb.
wink.gif

It means when you connect Bithead with your iPod, Bithead itself works as the amp.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the case of an ipod you would need to get something called a "LOD", which stands for Line-Out Dock. You connect this to your ipod, which bypasses your ipod's internal amplifier. You'll be using your ipod's internal DAC and sending an un-amplified (think:clean) signal to the total bithead for it to amplify.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #35 of 43
So are the Grado SR225s I just bought going to have less impact than my HD280s or not? If they are, I've made a huge mistake.

I understand that Grados are good rock headphones, but I listen to a ton of hip hop and electronica. I got them because I read they have decent impact and thought they'd be versatile, but if they have less impact than HD280s (with total bithead on both, mind you), then I may need to reconsider.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #37 of 43
oh.. you are in Seattle. I'm sorry you missed the meet last two weeks.
biggrin.gif

I would say you didn't make a mistake. To me, SR225 is more superior than HD280.

Only thing you may not like is they may not as bassy as you think.

dunno when you decided to buy it, but you should try them first. There are some audio store around Seattle that have SR225 and other Grados for auditioning.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #38 of 43
Well what I want to know is whether the bass impact exceeds the HD280s or not. Even if it's just a bit more it would be fine.

I compared the charts on headphone.com (cool feature) and it showed the 225s being above the 280s in the bass range, but not by too much. I don't know whether that has much, if anything to do with impact though.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #39 of 43
Personally, I think HD280 lacks of bass quantity. It's not for hip-hop at all. SR225 may do the better job.

However, you keep talking about bass bass and bass, why don't you try Beyer DT770 too?

As I mention, you can try many cans esp. Sennheiser and Grado in many local shop. Magnolia has several models of Sennheiser and Definitive Audio has Grados.

It seems you already ordered SR225 without auditioning, but just in case, if you go to the shop, try the cans, and don't like it.

just keep it sealed and return it if the seller provide service.
smily_headphones1.gif

so you can keep save your money and get the right can.

just a suggestion.
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, one thing you might not be used to with the Grados is actually turning your equalizer off. I find the 280s sound best with a mild "rock" curve to mellow their honky mids, Grados neither need nor react very well to crazy headphone fanatics fooling around with the EQ sliders.
wink.gif

I shall disagree with you.. 225's are actually responsive to EQ adjusments, I can cure their sibilance with some records, in deed.

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some records

I haven't experienced sibilance with my sr225 yet, could you please suggest some tracks that might exhibit that noticeably? I'm afraid I might be half-deaf as well...

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by charonme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't experienced sibilance with my sr225 yet, could you please suggest some tracks that might exhibit that noticeably? I'm afraid I might be half-deaf as well...

Oops, that's hard for me to choose, but I can say that most of the metal tracks with extensive usage of cymbals and the uber-loud recorded last Metallica album "Death Magnetic"..

Actually this subjective sibilance changes for everyone as we all have different ears and ear drums.

Anyway, EQ adjusments tend to cure any track for sibilance so far for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back