Grado 225 cord break?
May 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

teambayern

New Head-Fier
I have a chance to buy some grado sr 225 for $125 but the listing states they had a break in the cord. He states that it was "repaired" (not replaced) and now works flawlessly but i want to be cautious. How big a deal is a break and what should I be watchful for when I demo them?

May 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Without knowing specifically what a "break" is, it's very hard to comment. The most common thing would be that the wires frayed at the cups and they were snipped and reconnected. If done right, there should be no issues.

May 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Are you in the U.S.?  Use the cord break as a "negotiation point" for the sales price.  You didn't mention if these were the SR225 or the SR225i model.  A new, SR225i pair sells for $200 (at MSRP).   There is a vendor on Audiogon that is authorized and sells the Grado products for less than MSRP prices.  If you can get the Grados for $100 instead of $125, Grado in Brooklyn, NY will put on a new Grado cable for you for approximately $30 - $35.  They'll probably keep the headphones for 2 weeks.  They're great to work with - and, they work on headphones for very cheap prices when the headphones are out of warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back