Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 11, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #752 of 2,153
I know it's open vs closed (maybe semi-closed), blah blah, but could you offer quick thoughts on the K7XX vs the TH-X00 through your m9XX? Thanks.

I gave them a few hours listen, mostly electronic stuff.  I think the K7XX really excels at high-impact electronic beats; it has an aggressive bite.  The m9xx rounds off this bite and re-levels it somewhere more pleasantly relaxed to hear.  The most prominent feature of the m9xx to me is the intricate separation, which shines through significantly.  I don't really think I've had a great source for my k7xx before, or at least it always sounded like it could be stronger to me, more detail-revealing.  Needless to say the m9xx gives it the boost I thought it needed, and I enjoyed it very much. 

Unfortunately as far as the K7 vs. the X00 goes it's really not a fair compare; these are clearly two different calibers of can.  Everything the K7XX excelled at the X00 did too but better, and with better bass and highs.  The K7 can have more punch due to the (relative) exaggerated frequency edges and the crossfeed feature enhances the open sound, though, so these are still fun to listen to.  The X00 through the m9xx has an endlessly addicting mellow and personal sound that isn't quite closed.  I find it a perfect sized stage with a perfect shape, and insane details.  As I write I've already been listening to them for an hour straight.

That said, if you are a lucky enough massdropper to own both a k7xx AND the m9xx (and there's only maybe 400 of them in the world at most at the time of writing) then those might be the best $700 you ever wasted on expensive audio gear.  Same for the X00 but $900.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #754 of 2,153
@StolenToast Thanks. I'm actually one of those fortunate enough to have the K7XX + m9XX. I totally agree with you on that pairing. I guess I also appreciate the reminder about how much money I've wasted, albeit "wisely"
redface.gif
. I was considering the TH-X00 as a fun sonic compliment to the K7XX, both fed through the m9XX. In comparison, I was imagining the K7XX would be a side-grade with more neutral lows, about similar mids and brighter highs. Not to forget the crazy AKG soundstage that I personally love (I doubt the THX even comes close to that spaciousness, right?). But it sounds like to your ears, the THX are better than the K7XX even in the technical aspects (detail retrieval, imaging, etc). Am I correct there? If that's the case in addition to the THX's low-end, then I'd be very impressed.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #755 of 2,153
  @StolenToast Thanks. I'm actually one of those fortunate enough to have the K7XX + m9XX. I totally agree with you on that pairing. I guess I also appreciate the reminder about how much money I've wasted, albeit "wisely"
redface.gif
. I was considering the TH-X00 as a fun sonic compliment to the K7XX, both fed through the m9XX. In comparison, I was imagining the K7XX would be a side-grade with more neutral lows, about similar mids and brighter highs. Not to forget the crazy AKG soundstage that I personally love (I doubt the THX even comes close to that spaciousness, right?). But it sounds like to your ears, the THX are better than the K7XX even in the technical aspects (detail retrieval, imaging, etc). Am I correct there? If that's the case in addition to the THX's low-end, then I'd be very impressed.

If I have them both plugged in (in high power mode of course) and jump directly from the X00 to the K7XX what I hear is similar but not as detailed, definitely.  Not as separated, tones seem to fizzle rather than cease, as if I was viewing the x00 soundstage through slightly frosted glass.  The x00 is less fatiguing with more energy and impact, enhanced by the "semi"-closedness of the cup.  It presents a more coherent and neatly organized picture, and the bass is so throroughly mud-free I'd drink from it.  To be honest the k7 sounds disappointing in immediate comparison, but that's like complaining your parents didn't buy you the pink corvette.  The soundstage is definitely larger in the k7, almost assuredly because it's open.

Whenever these headphones are discussed I think it's important to factor value, because that's the spirit in which they were conceived.  The x00 really is something special for $400, and I'm still kind of in shock.  I didn't think I'd have cans this good for years.  For value it wins over the k7 in my book because it is far easier to drive while still retaining most of the quality.  As sublime as it sounds out of the m9xx it also sounds sick out my cell phone, which I truly cannot say about the k7 (can't hear).

So yes, with a furtive glance I will say the TH-X00 is technically, musically and structurally (aluminum and wood) superior to the K7XX.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #756 of 2,153
Quote:
  If I have them both plugged in (in high power mode of course) and jump directly from the X00 to the K7XX what I hear is similar but not as detailed, definitely.  Not as separated, tones seem to fizzle rather than cease, as if I was viewing the x00 soundstage through slightly frosted glass.  The x00 is less fatiguing with more energy and impact, enhanced by the "semi"-closedness of the cup.  It presents a more coherent and neatly organized picture, and the bass is so throroughly mud-free I'd drink from it.  To be honest the k7 sounds disappointing in immediate comparison, but that's like complaining your parents didn't buy you the pink corvette.  The soundstage is definitely larger in the k7, almost assuredly because it's open.

Whenever these headphones are discussed I think it's important to factor value, because that's the spirit in which they were conceived.  The x00 really is something special for $400, and I'm still kind of in shock.  I didn't think I'd have cans this good for years.  For value it wins over the k7 in my book because it is far easier to drive while still retaining most of the quality.  As sublime as it sounds out of the m9xx it also sounds sick out my cell phone, which I truly cannot say about the k7 (can't hear).

So yes, with a furtive glance I will say the TH-X00 is technically, musically and structurally (aluminum and wood) superior to the K7XX.

Love that bolded line. Well...then...color me impressed. Due to our similar set-ups, your impressions have really given me a good perspective of the TH-X00 from an angle I can understand. Now I may be facing what can only be described as an "audiophile no-brainer" decision, aided by your comparison and most especially by your value assessment. Thanks again!

P.S. The m9XX dual headphone outputs are almost tailor-made for these types of comparisons.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #757 of 2,153
Dec 12, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #759 of 2,153
Hi. I installed the driver in my Windows 10 laptop and I did everything I can but there is no sound coming out of the DAC. Any ideas?

Try going into Sound (settings) in Control Panel and setting the m9XX (XMOS) as the default device. Also, make sure the volume is set high enough as well. If you have a harder to drive headphone you may need to turn up the volume upwards of 60-70 to start to hear any significant volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back