Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 9, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #721 of 2,153

also they're quite the attractive couple put together.  Their color schemes really match well, and they're both so beautifully designed.

Most definitely.  The m9XX is quite portable as well, once you attach it to a battery charger. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #723 of 2,153

Most definitely.  The m9XX is quite portable as well, once you attach it to a battery charger. 
beerchug.gif

I think that is an under-reviewed aspect of the m9xx: it's incredibly portable for a desktop amp. Can power itself entirely from the PC USB (or even use a portable power bank like moedawg said for high power) and easily fits inside any backpack or travel sack. I can't take my Aune anywhere because the brick is so unwieldy (also a tube) but I can fit the m9xx AND ITS POWER SUPPLY into the bag for my TH-X00, which makes for a bag of magic. It just uses normal USB micro b cables so I keep a pair at home and at work since I don't quite have the funds to double down.

And yeah m9xx+TH-X00 is a beautiful looking setup.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #724 of 2,153

beerchug.gif

I think that is an under-reviewed aspect of the m9xx: it's incredibly portable for a desktop amp. Can power itself entirely from the PC USB (or even use a portable power bank like moedawg said for high power) and easily fits inside any backpack or travel sack. I can't take my Aune anywhere because the brick is so unwieldy (also a tube) but I can fit the m9xx AND ITS POWER SUPPLY into the bag for my TH-X00, which makes for a bag of magic. It just uses normal USB micro b cables so I keep a pair at home and at work since I don't quite have the funds to double down.

also the build quality si so spectacular I wouldn't hesitate for a second to throw it in my messenger bag. I've had "portable amps" before that I wouldn't have trusted to carry around.  The M9XX would need to just about be run over by a freight truck to have issues.  

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #725 of 2,153

beerchug.gif

I agree, that's mainly why I added as many portable setups and ways to make the m9XX portable in my review. The sound is very smooth and controlled with the TH-X00 and m9XX combination.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #726 of 2,153
Was looking forward to listening to this amp (especially paired with my new Fostex TH-X00 cans), but apparently UPS has lost it. This sucks. :frowning2:

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #728 of 2,153
got mine today and my impression is that this dac is very clean sounding,
has very good instrumental separation, good dynamics, very detailed and at the same time very smooth.
this thing shines with live recordings, classical and well mastered tracks.
that with the k701 though. i still more time with the hd600 and hd650.
so far so good. actually alot better than my m stage hrt ms2 combo i've had for years.
i normally listen at 70 but with good recordings i crank it up to 74 or even 75.
i don't know if it just me but the amp portion of the m9xx don't seem powerful enough.
sure i can get enough volume but not quite the juice.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #729 of 2,153
i normally listen at 70 but with good recordings i crank it up to 74 or even 75.
i don't know if it just me but the amp portion of the m9xx don't seem powerful enough.

IIRC, the "high gain" mode automatically kicks in at around 90, so I still think you have tons of headroom there. Unless you are already at 70 at high gain. 

But maybe you're right about the "juice" part, though. I haven't used the m9xx with high-impedance headphones yet. 

I do agree the m9xx is better than the M-Stage, though. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #733 of 2,153
got mine today and my impression is that this dac is very clean sounding,

has very good instrumental separation, good dynamics, very detailed and at the same time very smooth.

this thing shines with live recordings, classical and well mastered tracks.

that with the k701 though. i still more time with the hd600 and hd650.

so far so good. actually alot better than my m stage hrt ms2 combo i've had for years.

I don't know what you mean by "not powerful enough" or "not quite the juice" what do you mean by "juice" in real terms? more voltage would just make it louder if you're not running out of headroom (anything sub 90 on the volume and you aren't running out of head room). Ohms law suggests that this supplies near infinite current (you're dividing by 0.08), so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #734 of 2,153
Mine got held up for a day but should be back on track to arrive tomorrow.

Nah, no such luck with mine. UPS is frantically trying to find it and we're both trying to reach Massdrop, with no success so far. :rolleyes:

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #735 of 2,153
  i don't know what does "Power Up Level" switch does on the menu. the options labeled PL and P.L.
@fuzzybaffy 90 is probably way too loud for me to handle anything pass 78 is considered loud to me.

It's the volume level it starts at on power-up, 0 by default. 

I haven't found anything yet this setup does NOT sound good with.  The bass response and separation is a dog-send for dense, textured heavy electronic music. I have a number of tracks that I had really never heard out of satisfying speakers or headphones but man, this "X stack" handles them with style points to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back