Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 10, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #736 of 2,153
I don't know what you mean by "not powerful enough" or "not quite the juice" what do you mean by "juice" in real terms? more voltage would just make it louder if you're not running out of headroom (anything sub 90 on the volume and you aren't running out of head room). Ohms law suggests that this supplies near infinite current (you're dividing by 0.08), so that shouldn't be an issue either.

maybe im just too use to the thicker sounding m stage i've had for a long time.
im not saying m9xx are thin or anything. but well yea m9xx sounds good.
although there are still some stuff i prefer on m stage. i'll leave that job to the hd650 from now on.
im still not hearing this veil people describe the hd650 to have. and i come from a k701.
im glad im not hearing this pop sound when putting my headphones in my m9xx.
now im not sure what to do with my old setup.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #737 of 2,153
maybe im just too use to the thicker sounding m stage i've had for a long time.

im not saying m9xx are thin or anything. but well yea m9xx sounds good.

although there are still some stuff i prefer on m stage. i'll leave that job to the hd650 from now on.

im still not hearing this veil people describe the hd650 to have. and i come from a k701.

im glad im hearing this pop sound when putting my headphones in my m9xx.

now im not sure what to do with my old setup.

Yeah, I didn't mean that accusitorily just wasn't sure what you meant. Try one of the other filters. Some of the other filters sound a bit fuller than F1, which is the default.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #739 of 2,153
It's the volume level it starts at on power-up, 0 by default. 

I haven't found anything yet this setup does NOT sound good with.  The bass response and separation is a dog-send for dense, textured heavy electronic music. I have a number of tracks that I had really never heard out of satisfying speakers or headphones but man, this "X stack" handles them with style points to spare.

I know it's open vs closed (maybe semi-closed), blah blah, but could you offer quick thoughts on the K7XX vs the TH-X00 through your m9XX? Thanks.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #740 of 2,153
I know it's open vs closed (maybe semi-closed), blah blah, but could you offer quick thoughts on the K7XX vs the TH-X00 through your m9XX? Thanks.

I would love to but it's very hard to stop listening to the X00s.  I'll tear myself away, I want to know too anyway.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #742 of 2,153
I'm just starting to play with this, but I have a DSD question.  I downloaded a trial of Audirvana Plus and a sample DSF file from oppo.  But I can't seem to get Audirvana to send DSD to the m9xx.  Can anyone recommend a simple way to experiment with DSD on a Mac?

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #744 of 2,153
  I'm just starting to play with this, but I have a DSD question.  I downloaded a trial of Audirvana Plus and a sample DSF file from oppo.  But I can't seem to get Audirvana to send DSD to the m9xx.  Can anyone recommend a simple way to experiment with DSD on a Mac?

Have you successfully sent DSD to another external DAC?

It was not obvious to me, the first time I did this, because the DAC (not m9xx) did not show up as being DSD-capable in the Audirvana+ software. Once you are in the second tab of Audirvana preferences, Audio System, you should be able to choose between automatic detection of a DSD-capable DAC (did not work for me) and manual assertion that the DAC is capable of DSD. Try the non-auto detect options.

And be sure you've set the m9xx to the higher data rate. It defaults to USB audio implementation version 1.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #745 of 2,153

Use DoP 1.0 or 1.1

BTW, if you play ISO DSD files, you will find the L/R channels are reversed.  

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #746 of 2,153

I would love to but it's very hard to stop listening to the X00s.  I'll tear myself away, I want to know too anyway.​

Just received my m9xx, can't comment on X00's but so far so good with K7xx!

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #748 of 2,153
This is my first external DAC.  I'm trying to switch between internal and external in some way, because what the new DAC adds seems to be going over my head.  I'm trying to setup a "quick change" method to compare my laptop's DAC to the m9xx.  Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back