Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #783 of 2,153
Even in light of the X00s I like the HE400S through this as well.  It's a very balanced sound (with noticably weak but smooth bass) but less attention-grabbing.  Easy to listen to.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #784 of 2,153
I couldn't get the Grace m9XX to work with UAC1 on my Thinkpad T440S running Windows 7 at a meet. Foobar refused to output audio to the DAC with any protocol claiming that 16-bit, 44.1 kHz was "unsupported" The XMOS UAC2 drivers from the Grace website also refused to install even after a restart. Perhaps USB controllers are picky?

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #786 of 2,153
This is my first day at the office with the m9xx and I'm noticing something odd.

My plan was to attach the USB power (duh) and then attach the USB data connection to my Thunderbolt Display.  When running the m9xx through the Thunderbolt Display I keep getting some odd artifacts, like the sound is on the other side of a fan.  I figured this can't be a USB 2.0 bandwidth issue but who knows.  However it doesn't happen when connected directly to my laptop.  Has anyone else experienced this?

ETA: Never mind, still getting it directly connected to the laptop as well.  Didn't do this at home (using the same laptop).

ETA 2: Well, I figured out what's up.  When sending audio directly to the m9xx and having the system audio going to the regular laptop audio there's a problem if I mute the regular audio.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #787 of 2,153
  I couldn't get the Grace m9XX to work with UAC1 on my Thinkpad T440S running Windows 7 at a meet. Foobar refused to output audio to the DAC with any protocol claiming that 16-bit, 44.1 kHz was "unsupported" The XMOS UAC2 drivers from the Grace website also refused to install even after a restart. Perhaps USB controllers are picky?

Hi Psalmanazar,

To get foobar to play in UAC1 mode with the m9xx under WASAPI, you'll need to set the bit resolution to 32. 
To install the XMOS UAC2 driver, you'll need to set the m9xx to USB2 mode. Press and hold the volume knob to enter the menu, scroll to U1, then click on it to change it to U2. The m9xx will reboot itself into UAC2 mode and the driver should now install. 
-Alex

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #789 of 2,153
  Does anyone have the link to the firmware update that allows it to work with iOS? I've looked and looked.

My understanding is only beta testers needed this update - the released version included all updates from the beta cycle. However, for any future updates, they are likely to be found here:

http://www.gracedesign.com/support/support.htm

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #790 of 2,153
Does anyone have the link to the firmware update that allows it to work with iOS? I've looked and looked.

If you have at least the 0008_DFU m9XX firmware update installed, you are good to go. If not, send me a PM and I'll send you my copy.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #792 of 2,153
I'm not even sure how to check other than that I can't get my iPhone to work with it without an external usb hub.

Sounds like you may not have it installed. When I get home later tonight I'll send the firmware update to you, if you'd like.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #794 of 2,153
Dec 15, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #795 of 2,153
GREAT SERVICE FJRABON.

had the chance to pair this with the hd800 over the weekend.

jaw-dropping.

i have never ever liked the 800 driven by toob amps in the past at headfi meets.

yesterday was the first time i heard the bass flushed out along with that famous reference mids & highs.

and now i'm contemplating the 800.  hope the price drops after the 800s appears.

i still cannot comprehend how grace does it in a such a small package devoid of troublesome cabling.

even the senn folks exhibiting the 800 were gobsmacked when i let them hear the pairing churning out Badu & Mogwai.

Does the 9xx support balanced cables? Does it make a difference if they don't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back