Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Mar 31, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,086 of 2,153
I agree. Not only do I prefer the sound, but the UI and available options just put it into a higher category of device. Of course it is not nearly as portable. For me a small price to pay for the added benefits.

May 2, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,087 of 2,153
How good does the Grace M9XX (or M900) sound?

I use Benchmark DAC1 HDR and DAC2 HGC and Astell & Kern AK70.

Can anyone comment how good the sound quality of the Grace unit is in relation to the above mentioned equipment?

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #2,088 of 2,153
Last month, i bought Focal Clear HP.

I'm realy happy with the pairing with M9xx, but still got GAS and wondering what could be a better amp upgrade.
Particuliary, i'm looking for an amp that would gave a bigger soundscape, any suggestion?

May 3, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,089 of 2,153
Well, I don't know how good the Grace is, but in my opinion Benchmark HPA2 headphone amp (headphone section in the Benchmark DAC's) is an 'end-game headphone amp'. I could not justify keeping my Violectric V200 because Benchmark headphone output gave me the same thing..

For 'bigger soundscape' I would however not look at the headphone amp, but at the headphones..

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,090 of 2,153
How good does the Grace M9XX (or M900) sound?

I use Benchmark DAC1 HDR and DAC2 HGC and Astell & Kern AK70.

Can anyone comment how good the sound quality of the Grace unit is in relation to the above mentioned equipment?

I currently use the Benchmark DAC1 HDR as my main system DAC and the Grace m9xx as my office DAC. The Benchmark is a bit cleaner and more clinical, the Grace ever so slightly more grainy and colored. I think these differences hold when comparing the Grace m902 to Benchmark as well.
Benchmark's headphone amp is 'clearly' superior and more powerful. Grace is ergonomically very cool. The m9xx has only USB and Toslink, no Coax; but Grace has introduced the m900 which adds coax.
Were I to sell one it would be the Grace.

May 5, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #2,091 of 2,153
I got my m9xx from the original Massdrop sale. I was having a lot of issues just recently where it would randomly just stop working (power would stay on, display would work, but the unit would not output any sound unless both the power USB line and data USB line were disconnected and reconnected). After struggling with this for about two weeks thinking it was drivers and possibly even a stupid windows update issue I decided to try out a different power supply. Since switching to another USB power supply all my problems have been fixed.

So if anyone has issues that are similar to the above just change out the power supply.

Love the DAC though. It has been such a strong unit. I recently bought an Accuphase E-650 integrated and I hear that the headphone section in it is truly amazing. So I will be comparing it to my m9xx and see which one will be my main headphone powerhouse. Luckily, the DAC section in the m9xx is great and has very good support from Grace, so I can still use the m9xx DAC going to the Accuphase if I want.

May 6, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #2,092 of 2,153
I got my m9xx from the original Massdrop sale. I was having a lot of issues just recently where it would randomly just stop working (power would stay on, display would work, but the unit would not output any sound unless both the power USB line and data USB line were disconnected and reconnected). After struggling with this for about two weeks thinking it was drivers and possibly even a stupid windows update issue I decided to try out a different power supply. Since switching to another USB power supply all my problems have been fixed.

So if anyone has issues that are similar to the above just change out the power supply.

Love the DAC though. It has been such a strong unit. I recently bought an Accuphase E-650 integrated and I hear that the headphone section in it is truly amazing. So I will be comparing it to my m9xx and see which one will be my main headphone powerhouse. Luckily, the DAC section in the m9xx is great and has very good support from Grace, so I can still use the m9xx DAC going to the Accuphase if I want.
So the USB adapter that came with your m9xx didn't function properly? This is quite a strange problem to have but perhaps the easiest to rectify. I often used the m9xx as a "portable" dac/amp with my phone and a powerbank and never had any problem with it.

May 6, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,093 of 2,153
So the USB adapter that came with your m9xx didn't function properly? This is quite a strange problem to have but perhaps the easiest to rectify. I often used the m9xx as a "portable" dac/amp with my phone and a powerbank and never had any problem with it.

No, not at all. Everything worked flawlessly for years. As I said, I got in on the original m9xx drop (which was at least 3 years ago I think). I did not start having problems with the sound dropping out until I decided to use the RCA out to my amplifier. I think part of it was my home’s power grid.

Either way, it is fixed now and I have some extra voltage protection now

May 8, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #2,094 of 2,153
I've owned my m9XX since the first drop and is still my go to desktop dac/amp. Maybe not the greatest detail monster, though not lacking detail but it has this warmth and musicality that I really enjoy. Details yet not overly analytical and cold. Just the slightest punch/bump to the bass, but not colored. That's how I see this dac/amp. Very interested in the Audio GD R2R-11, can any m9XX owners or those familiar with the performance provide a comparison?

May 11, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #2,095 of 2,153

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been having the exact same issue for a few months now and was attributing it to my laptop or drivers. Randomly started happening too when it hadn't been before. I run off USB only. When you say switch "USB power supply" do you mean a USB port or the USB cable/AC Adapter? Thanks

May 12, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #2,096 of 2,153
Thanks for bringing this up. I've been having the exact same issue for a few months now and was attributing it to my laptop or drivers. Randomly started happening too when it hadn't been before. I run off USB only. When you say switch "USB power supply" do you mean a USB port or the USB cable/AC Adapter? Thanks

I am using an Anker PowerPort currently and it is working great. You can also just replace the wallwart powersupply.

May 17, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,097 of 2,153

I was in on the first drop also. This unit has been powered up almost 24/7 from day 1. My m9XX started acting erratic the last couple months which could be fixed if I unplugged the high power USB, so I switched the HP USB to an Aukey USB Wall Charger with Dual Port 24W/4.8A Output (that's 2.4A per USB outlet regardless if the other is used) and my issues stopped as well. I had an extra USB port available. I contacted Grace and they said to stop OC display warnings which was one of my symptoms, mute or turn down the volume when changing headphones (makes sense). I think if the power supply goes, somehow the unit starts misbehaving and to be clear, I wasn't only getting OC displays but on/off switching and general instability. Grace recommends the original supply but from looking at it, I don't see anything special. It's basic, nice and inexpensive I guess. That today can be special. I've also heard a great power supply is key to optimizing DAC/AMP performance so that gets me thinking. Perhaps this is referring to internal circuitry or not, feel free to chime in. In any case, I'm looking at the Anker Quick Charge 3.0, 18W USB Wall Charger PowerPort+ 1. Anyone using a different power supply? Any differences?

I'm also gonna bump my other inquiry, any comparisons to the Audio GD R2R-11 DAC/AMP or NFB 11.28?

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #2,100 of 2,153
Thanks for mentioning WilliamLeonhart,
Just a few units that were left...very limited.
I guess after this then... that's it?

Too bad recently I haven't seen the standalone SDAC on MD either. Was really interested in the DAC but not another amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back