Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Sep 20, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #1,712 of 2,153
where do I go after the m9xx. anything to complement it. Thanks in advance

It works great with a pair of headphones...

Seriously though, from what I've read the DAC in the m9xx is excellent, but the amp section is mediocre - so you could get a better standalone amp and put it in between your m9xx and your HPs.
That's what I have done, and the dual HP plugs on the M9XX are still handy when she and me want to watch something on netflix etc.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,713 of 2,153

Seriously though, from what I've read the DAC in the m9xx is excellent, but the amp section is mediocre - so you could get a better standalone amp and put it in between your m9xx and your HPs.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on a device which you haven't heard yourself.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,714 of 2,153

Thanks for sharing your opinion on a device which you haven't heard yourself.
rolleyes.gif

It works great with a pair of headphones...

That's what I have done, and the dual HP plugs on the M9XX are still handy when she and me want to watch something on netflix etc.

wink_face.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,716 of 2,153
Can this be used on the go with a external battery charger ?

Yes!  I've used this in "high power" mode for hours at a time using a portable high-current (2A) USB battery pack.

Note that the m9XX will also work in "low power" or USB data+power mode, even straight from a smartphone (LG G4 and Galaxy S4 & S7 tested personally).

- Dave

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,718 of 2,153
I can't get over people thinking the m9XX's amp section is "very unimpressive". :rolleyes: While it's no Mjolnir 2, for its price point there's a fine-sounding little amp in there with enough power for 99% of the headphones on the market.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,720 of 2,153
I can't get over people thinking the m9XX's amp section is "very unimpressive".
rolleyes.gif
While it's no Mjolnir 2, for its price point there's a fine-sounding little amp in there with enough power for 99% of the headphones on the market.

I absolutely agree.  Given its intended purpose and price point, it drives my ATH-M50x, HD 650, TH-X00, and LCD-2 headphones with authority and plenty of volume.  Sure, for 4X the price, I can get a bit more headroom on the harder to drive cans, but as a home/office desktop transportable DAC/HPA, it's pretty awesome in its own right/league.

- Dave

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #1,721 of 2,153

I absolutely agree.  Given its intended purpose and price point, it drives my ATH-M50x, HD 650, TH-X00, and LCD-2 headphones with authority and plenty of volume.  Sure, for 4X the price, I can get a bit more headroom on the harder to drive cans, but as a home/office desktop transportable DAC/HPA, it's pretty awesome in its own right/league.

- Dave

Yeah, I mean it obviously doesn't stand up to my TIII, but that's an amp that's a good value at $2000 assembled. It stands up well to any solid state non-balanced amp for easy and medium difficulty to drive headphones.  I think it sounds pretty great with my HD800, if you use sonarworks to fix the HD800's natural frequency response.  

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,723 of 2,153
  which other amp/dac should i consider besides the m9xx at similar price range?

some people say the dac is awesome but the amp is soso, whys that?

It's more than good enough for what it is, just that people are expecting high end performance for not high end pricing. The DAC is great and the amp is what it's supposed to be. That's all there is to it IMO.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,724 of 2,153
I use the little Grace unit at work. Music played by Foobar 2000 from a Surface Pro 4. Normally I use closed cans, NAD HP50 or TH-X00. Granted those are easy to drive, but volume at 55 to MAX 70  and, for that environment, the system is all that I feel that I need. As has been mentioned, there is better out there,  for considerably higher cost. I think that most people would not find the Grace AMP lacking even not considering its price level.

Of course there will always be those that are critical. That is what makes this interesting. It is a shame that some will read these comments and be turned off to the point of not even trying something. A good question to ask would be, what is better for $500. Just for perspective. Some would say the Mojo. I wouldn't agree, at least for my application. What else?  When taking into consideration the feature set, ergonomics, flexibility and overall sound quality, I can't think of anything.

So, if one has $500 to spend, I would highly recommend picking one up. I doubt that it will be disappointing.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,725 of 2,153
I don't mean to put anyone off buying this unit.
For $500 it's excellent quality and excellent value.
You could spend as much on a comparable DAC and not have an amp at all.
You could spend more on a DAC and not see much improvement.
It does what it does very well for the $, and all in a portable (think more carrying between home and office, rather than using on your commute) package.

I was simply replying (perhaps a little tongue in cheek) to a question of what to buy to complement this unit.
The DAC in it is great, so I have added a (large, moderately expensive, not-at-all-portable) tube amp to my Grace DAC. It complements it very well, IMO.
The other part of my reply was "headphones". Goes without saying.

There is NOTHING "wrong" with the amp - it works perfectly well for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back