GR9 iPod Transport???
Oct 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 131

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
In the Rx Amp thread Ken refers to the GR9 saying it "is going to be a game changer for portable audio." Later he says:
"ipod ---> GR9 ipod transport device ---> ALO Rx amp --Your headphones.

This will be the new reference and will re define and blow the lid off portable audio."

So what, exactly, is the GR9?

I didn't want to hijack the Rx Amp thread, so I'm starting new here.

Can I infer that the GR9 will take a straight digital feed out of the iPod? Given that many of us think the iMod (with pvcap) sets the current standard, does this mean the GR9 will "require" us to sell these iMods and get a GR9 (and new iPod)?

Any info would be appreciated!

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the Rx Amp thread Ken refers to the GR9 saying it "is going to be a game changer for portable audio." Later he says:
"ipod ---> GR9 ipod transport device ---> ALO Rx amp --Your headphones.

This will be the new reference and will re define and blow the lid off portable audio."

So what, exactly, is the GR9?

GR9 Technologies is Matt MacBeth's company, he is my partner in business.
Quote:

I didn't want to hijack the Rx Amp thread, so I'm starting new here.

Can I infer that the GR9 will take a straight digital feed out of the iPod?

correct

Quote:

Given that many of us think the iMod (with pvcap) sets the current standard, does this mean the GR9 will "require" us to sell these iMods and get a GR9 (and new iPod)?

of course not? I never force anyone to do anything. The GR9 ipod transport device is not a done deal and there are many things that can make this either delayed or possibly not happen Matt is at the mercy of Apple at this point. It is exciting because he has a working version and it sounds awesome. We are hopeful that this will happen soon however. The more information I know I will certainly post.

Thanks

ken

Quote:

Any info would be appreciated!

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ken

Is it battery powered dock or works as a normal line out dock or is it going to get the required power from iPod itself?

Cheers

The plan is for a Li-ion battery in the enclosure.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 131
Wow, this is big news. Any idea what DAC design you'll use? If things don't work out with Apple, maybe try Microsoft? The Zune HD outputs spdif on one of its pins--the dock is essentially just an optical converter. The only problem is that the spdif output is locked. It has to authenticate via a security handshake with a supported Zune accessory.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Zune you just need a mono output LOD [SPDIF].

you have made a Zune LOD ???

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have made a Zune LOD ???

I don't think that was implied. I don't know whether or not vkvedam realizes this (i.e. whether or not he read and understood my last post), but both the line output and spdif output on the Zune dock connector are locked.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 131
It sounds like this is being designed as a mate for the Rx but I'd also love to see a desktop version of this. Also, will this be compatible with all generations of iPod?

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 131
What about the dac and transport in a wood enclosure like the Amphora, same size and battery powered? The iPod docks in the top feeding out a analogue signal to the Amphora, (or whatever else you people pretend to listen to
tongue.gif
)!

Kevin

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 131
kboe, I had an idea just like that. It would be awesome if Ken decided to do some sort of desktop version. It would be even cooler if he could even put it inside an Amphora, sort of like the Isabellina HPA one-box solution.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 131
Please sign me up as customer #2 (002) :) BTW when will this happen? 3, 6, 9 months. Please keep us posted on the progress and development. Yea, keep us on the string and don't forget I am customer #2 if and when pre sign list is up :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back