GR9 iPod Transport???
May 25, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #122 of 131

Quote:    
        Well I had to say it, I hope this thing is compatible with the iPad
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:    
        Will the iPad have a digital sound output, i.e., optical as with the desktop and laptop units?

Quote:    
        No, the Ipad doesn't even have a USB out.

It looks like this (proposed?) device is absolutely unnecessary for the iPad, since the iPad Camera Connection Kit will support audio interfaces that are compatible with the USB Audio Class. This makes the iPad itself a transport with a digital out, just add a DAC and you're in business!

If this GR9 ever does come out it would still good for iPod/iPhones though...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483404/ipad-to-support-usb-audio-interfaces-via-camera-connection-kit

May 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #123 of 131

Quote:

It looks like this (proposed?) device is absolutely unnecessary for the iPad, since the iPad Camera Connection Kit will support audio interfaces that are compatible with the USB Audio Class. This makes the iPad itself a transport with a digital out, just add a DAC and you're in business!

If this GR9 ever does come out it would still good for iPod/iPhones though...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483404/ipad-to-support-usb-audio-interfaces-via-camera-connection-kit

Well, it would have been awful if the iPad needed more hardware to output audio!  What a relief!!  But then again, with having to spend more for all these connection kits, customers just escaped the added expense.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #124 of 131

Quote:
I showed a very advanced working proto at CanJam'09 at LA last year. I then showed a much better unit (feeding the ALO Rx amp) at RMAF a few months ago. The pressure is on to have something fully functional at CanJam'10 this year, but we'll see how it goes. This is exponentially more difficult, complicated, and expensive than designing an analog-in/analog-out amp.

Is it the day?

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #125 of 131

Well then, all we need is this iPod transport unit that's in the making. However, I do prefer to use it with my iPod unless I wish to play some of my high definition m4a files. iTunes will not transfer those to the iPod, claiming incompatibility.

I recommend you use lossless files over lossy ones such as the mp4 and the iPad has no trouble playing Apple Lossless or iTunes Plus formats.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #126 of 131

Quote:
I recommend you use lossless files over lossy ones such as the mp4 and the iPad has no trouble playing Apple Lossless or iTunes Plus formats.

I wrote m4a and not mp4.  m4a is the file extension for apple lossless format.

In lossless format, High Definition tracks are encoded at 2500-3500 Kbits/sec while standard cd's encode at 600-1100kbits/sec.

The iPod will not take the very high bitrate files. 

I'm pretty sure the iPad should be fine since it's not a classic iPod.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #127 of 131
AlgoRhythm Solo:
http://www.cypherlabs.com/Products.php

• Made for iPod, iPhone and iPad Certifications are pending
• Wolfson Microelectronics digital-to-analog converter
• Decryption of the Apple USB output (not a "pass through" of the line-out)
• Asynchronous mode USB to SPDIF conversion
• 1/8” stereo analog output and RCA digital output
• Extremely low jitter!!
• Two Li-Ion batteries in parallel: AC switching is totally isolated
• Portable design with short and clean signal paths
• Connects to home and portable headphone amplifiers and DACs
• USB-A docking cable included
• AC adapter and power cable included (international adapters widely available)
• Designed to match in size and audio character with the ALO Rx Mark 2 headphone amp
• Designed and assembled in the USA

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #128 of 131
A prototype was shown at CamJam 2010 -  the AlgoRhythm Solo is in development and Ken and I will be keeping
you all updated.  We'll probably need to start a new thread about this one!

-Vinnie

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #131 of 131

Quote:
Vinnie,

can this be used with an imod?  Since I have a 240gig super imod, I'm wondering if it will also work with the AlgoRhythm? 

Wsilvio,

The AlgoRthym was intended to work with a iPhone, iPod classisc or Nano. The version we have does not work with the 5 or 5.5g video ipod. I am unsure at this point if the final version will work with the video ipod.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back