Got the sansa clip recently and...
Apr 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 42
I might have to try out amping the clip to see if that makes it better! Like I said its good for the price, I like the screen layout its easy to use. I will probably use it for runs and the gym when my music preferences change depending on what I'm doing! I would definatly recommend it, but for pure clean SQ I think the shuffle just beats it to the post. To be honest I thin of the shuffle as pretty much reference SQ as far as portables go. I'll keep searching untill I find something that matches (or betters it) and includes a screen!

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 42
What kind of files are you all playing on your Clip?

FLAC sounds damn good straight out of mine. I've thought about adding an amp, but have no real reason to do so. It'd be a shame to have to take away the tiny form factor.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #19 of 42
With the T4, the tiny is still there, it's such a small, thin amp, a perfect match with the Clip. I tried using FLAC files, but they just take up way too much room. Most of my files are min 192k, max 320k. And they sound excellent from the Touch, so it's not the file type/bitrate.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 42
I found the Clip to have excellent SQ. I compared it to the Nano, iRiver HP-140, Touch, and the Sansa Express using TF-10's. The Clip beat them all. The Shuffle? Don't know. Doesn't matter, I wouldn't buy it just because it lacks basic features I find important.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of files are you all playing on your Clip?

FLAC sounds damn good straight out of mine. I've thought about adding an amp, but have no real reason to do so. It'd be a shame to have to take away the tiny form factor.

+2. All I play on the Clip are FLAC files and it sounds great; I always leave the EQ flat though. I feel no need to amp it either, although I have, just to test it.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #24 of 42
I like the sound from the Sansa clip, my friend has one and I thought it sounded pretty good, so I bought one on sale about 6 months ago just for a small player to carry around instead of my ipod. The thing is I had a lot of trouble getting my macbook to recognize it so I ended up having to take it back.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 42
Picked up the Sony NWZ-E438F from Walmart for little over 80 dollars yesterday and found the sound to be a step up from the Clip 8GB through my Shure E500. In general, the Sony is more transparent and offer clearer sound. The low bass is more robust. All in all very nice. I'm not sure what to do with the Clip as the thing is tiny and comes with the recording ability that I really need. I could use my Iriver H140 as a recorder, sell the Clip, and keep the Sony.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The thing is I had a lot of trouble getting my macbook to recognize it so I ended up having to take it back.

The default USB setting on the Clip is Auto to automatically switch between MSC and MTP. On the Mac, I set it to MSC so it always connects as a mass storage device, and haven't had any problems.

The problem I have is that iTunes ID3 tags aren't consistently recognized by the Clip.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #29 of 42
If you think the Clip doesn't have good sound quality, you are definitely in the minority. The Clip has been thoroughly reviewed by audiophiles and non-audiophiles and consistently ranks among the best flash players of any kind. The low price point and ease/convenience of use are icing on the cake.

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #30 of 42
The Clip is what it is, a cheap, good sounding, small player. I loved the sound of my original shuffle as well and while I no longer have it, I feel the Clip to rate below the shuffle in SQ. In fact, it is also below my Toshiba T-400. And even feeding it through my RS SR-71 amp, I don't feel the SQ improves, just more current to drive the PFEs. But it blow the shuffles measly 1GB capacity out of the water.

I listen only to Flac and wav on the clip and if I had to use wav on the shuffle I would be stuck with about two cds worth of tunes.

The Clip also sounds a bit slow compared to the other players in my house, primarily because it is a bit soft in the upper mids and lower treble, but pair it with a fun set of buds like the Yuin PK3s and you have a nice sounding setup for under a $100.

Not reference class but no one said it is, just good value for money as they say in the UK.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back