Got the HD800....the cynic is now speechless
Sep 7, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #91 of 233
did someone try them with heavy metal with alot of bass like sepultura-roots ,or RATM?

did anyone try them with some pipe organ music?i'm guessing this is one of the hardest tests for a headphones...

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #92 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that's EXACTLY my point.
Seems like it isn't just iems that have a fanboy following on here.
How dare you take that attitude with me,i have a right to convey my thoughts as much as you and do not expect to be spoken to like that just because i make a perfectly valid point.
Good luck to you and your precious forum,i hope one day you learn to respect somebody else's opinion because that comment was completely uncalled for.
And that also goes for all the other Supreme posters that have just took an attitude with me as if i were a piece of trash.
Learn some manners and grow up instead of acting like schoolkids with a new toy.
You make me sick.

Respect is a two way street.

If I follow your line of reasoning, anything expensive cannot be enjoyed because the owner paid a lot of money for it.

When you pay a lot of money for something, you automatically become a "fanboy" who can no longer appreciate the item.

In fact, money becomes a substitute for quality or enjoyment.

In other words, the only person who can enjoy an item is someone who didn't have to pay for it.

Is this what you're saying?

Also, assuming you paid money for your DT880, you obviously suffer from the same delusion. Maybe we should switch over to a communist model. That way, people could never be influenced by the cost of something and could finally start giving honest reviews.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #93 of 233
i'm a long term owner and huge fan of the 650 and they have been my reference headphone for a long time, but the 800 is no doubt in a different league. it is not just different, it is better.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #96 of 233
I see your point, thanks for sharing it. I will try them one day, need to be proper amped, cos in the shop where I can do that, they don't have any good amp for them, so, its pointless. I just don't understand these folks, they are selling EUR 1000 headphones, but don't have any good amp to drive them.

HD650 are slow when they don't get enough power to wake up. Sonics are something differ, its just you like it or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Blackmore - about trance.... try it for yourself, that is the only thing I can tell you. I listen to mostly prog house (Digweed - etc.) and sometimes I can find myself analyzing and sometimes I can find myself grooving. It is kind of tricky.

The HD6X0 is easier to groove and not get caught in the technical side. I kept all my HD cans to get the best of both worlds.

I always laugh when I think about all the people that said "The HD650 is too slow, veiled, not detailed enough, too much bass...." then Senny hits them with everything they have been complaining about and the crowd says "not enough bass, too much treble, too transparent" HAHAHAH can't please everyone Sennheiser, but THANK YOU very much for trying so hard to do so!

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #97 of 233
I heard a hd650 out of a $2500 amp + $900 dac + $300 cables.

Couldn't hold a candle to a HD800 stock with a $200 dac/amp.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that feels that way but it has lead me to believe that the headphones are CLEARLY the first thing to consider before going on a source/amp/cable spending spree.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #98 of 233
Random question for the HD800 reviewers. How does the padding compare to the HD600s? I have a pair of HD600s and my only major complaint is that I've worn them for so long that the top padding (that sits on the top of the head) has flattened so much that the plastic hits my head which causes them to become uncomfortable over time. I'm wondering if the HD800s have padding that will last better over the years, because a headphone like this should be made to last a very long time.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #99 of 233
With the HD800 Sennheiser has completely redesigned the headband and hit a home run. It is the most comfortable headband and headphone with zero vibration-the headband is multi-layered with a nice soft feel. As for long term wear...looks and feels like it will last a loooong time but we'll see. But as stated before...the fact that you are wearing them disappears as they are almost like a custom fit on my head.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #100 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard a hd650 out of a $2500 amp + $900 dac + $300 cables.

Couldn't hold a candle to a HD800 stock with a $200 dac/amp.

For me it's been always pretty obvious that the HD650 are a step back from the HD600 model which is no hi-end, either. The HD650 are just more tolerable to the rest of the components due to laid back nature and dark, colored sound. The HD800 are superior to both, with better bass, trebles, midrange, clarity, speed and resolution. Just a technical progress and I agree that it makes more sense to fight with the bottleneck instead of investing means to pass through it.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #101 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by skace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of HD600s and my only major complaint is that I've worn them for so long that the top padding (that sits on the top of the head) has flattened so much that the plastic hits my head which causes them to become uncomfortable over time. I'm wondering if the HD800s have padding that will last better over the years, because a headphone like this should be made to last a very long time.

Foam disintegrates over time - this is normal for all foam products - The HD 600 and 650 have easily replaceable headband pads so you can bring yours back to life again.

And I would guess your earpads probably need replacing as well.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #102 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foam disintegrates over time - this is normal for all foam products - The HD 600 and 650 have easily replaceable headband pads so you can bring yours back to life again.

And I would guess your earpads probably need replacing as well.

You guess right about earpads! I replaced them already, however I didn't know that I could replace the headband pads? I'm about to buy my 2nd wire replacement as well. Thanks for the tips.

So are you stating that the HD800 uses similar foam, as opposed to something like latex? I don't know how good latex headphone bands would be, but I do know they make extremely long lasting pillows that always return to shape. If the material would work good in headphones, they should certainly be using them at that price range.

...Where can I purchase headband pad? Just did some looking around and can't find anything.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #103 of 233
I'll be getting to audition a pair of HD800s in a few weeks time
biggrin.gif
Can't wait since I've seen all these comments.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #105 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The annoying thing about them are the contradicting views regarding their sound,it's impossible to know how they really sound like

It goes for all headphones regardless.

It holds for R10, Orpheus, K1000, O2...You name it, we got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back